Primaloft vest

kravguy

WKR
Can anyone recommend a nice primaloft vest? Looking for something to layer with while hunting, and doing outside chore work like wood cutting / splitting. Does not have to be camo, and would actually prefer it not to be. Should be something with a quiet face to it for hunting purposes.

Thanks!

drthornton

Lil-Rokslider
Plenty of primaloft vests around. Primaloft One will give you the best warmth to weight ratio. I think your problem will be finding one with an exterior that is not slick nylon with somewhat shiny exterior. The theory for the majority of Primaloft/Down jackets and vests is for extremely light mid-layer use...not really made for an outer shell. A Sitka Celsius vest may be more what you are looking for. It won't be as warm as a primaloft but it has the exterior you are looking for.

All the major hiking/mountaineering companies make a primaloft vest (Patagonia, Marmot, North face etc...) and the Sitka Kelvin is probably the nicest hunting brand with one. I thought KUIU would take their Spindrift and make a vest this year, but they didn't.

OP
K

kravguy

WKR
Thanks for the suggestions. I was looking at the Kelvin vest from Sitka, so I guess I was thinking something similar to this, but in a solid color close to what Kuiu is doing with the brown or sage.

drthornton

Lil-Rokslider
Patagonia Micro(100gram) or Nano(60gram) puff is used quite a bit. Here is a smokin deal I ran across if you are an XL and don't mind a neon green collar.
http://www.backcountry.com/patagonia-micro-puff-vest-mens.

Note the KUIU spindrift uses 80gram Primaloft one. Also note that the 2011 Kelvin uses Primaloft Sport which has a little less heat/weight ratio.

The latest Primaloft one equates to about 625 Down. The older Sport and Eco equate to roughly 525-550 down.

I've had good luck with a Sitka Kelvin vest. I bought it because it was the only primaloft vest I could find local in July a couple of years ago (don't normally wear camo), but have come to really like it. Being from Alaska, I wear it almost daily for 9 months of the year. I don't baby it at all, and have been surprised at how well it has handled the firewood gathering, brush busting, etc. Not as bomber as a softshell, but tougher than the majority of "mountaineering" brand vests.

The regular Kelvin is 170 g insulation, so it's on the warm side compared to most primaloft vests (which seem to run 60-100 g). I see they are also selling a "Kelvin Lite" with about half that insulation now, but haven't seen one in person.

I would stay away from Patagonia if it's going to see any rough use at all. The exterior fabric on the one my dad bought recently was trashed in less than a year.

Yk

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
If you want a quiet exterior vest, Sitka just came out with the Fanatic Vest. It only comes in camo though. The Kelvin vest is made to wear under another layer and slide silently on other materials. They are not that loud though, I know a guy who shot a B&C whitetail with his bow wearing his Kelvin Jacket as an outer layer.

OP
K

kravguy

WKR
Patagonia Micro(100gram) or Nano(60gram) puff is used quite a bit. Here is a smokin deal I ran across if you are an XL and don't mind a neon green collar.
http://www.backcountry.com/patagonia-micro-puff-vest-mens.

Note the KUIU spindrift uses 80gram Primaloft one. Also note that the 2011 Kelvin uses Primaloft Sport which has a little less heat/weight ratio.

The latest Primaloft one equates to about 625 Down. The older Sport and Eco equate to roughly 525-550 down.

Thanks. That would have been a nice deal, and I am an XL or XXL in this stuff. Man, what a way to ruin a vest with that neon green color on it.

OP
K

kravguy

WKR
I've had good luck with a Sitka Kelvin vest. I bought it because it was the only primaloft vest I could find local in July a couple of years ago (don't normally wear camo), but have come to really like it. Being from Alaska, I wear it almost daily for 9 months of the year. I don't baby it at all, and have been surprised at how well it has handled the firewood gathering, brush busting, etc. Not as bomber as a softshell, but tougher than the majority of "mountaineering" brand vests.

The regular Kelvin is 170 g insulation, so it's on the warm side compared to most primaloft vests (which seem to run 60-100 g). I see they are also selling a "Kelvin Lite" with about half that insulation now, but haven't seen one in person.

I would stay away from Patagonia if it's going to see any rough use at all. The exterior fabric on the one my dad bought recently was trashed in less than a year.

Yk

Thanks. I am leaning towards the Kelvin, and just settle for camo. Especially since you said yours has been holding up well. I have a nice one for hunting from Gray Wolf Woolens, so this was mostly for outside chores and wood cutting. We have an outside wood burner we use in the winter for heat, so this is when it would see the most use.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I picked up a Kelvin this spring and have used it on a few trips thus far. Its the older 170 gram model like YellowKnife has. Its a great piece of insulation to use as stand alone or in addition to my Primaloft jacket when things get really cold. :D

buglelk

FNG
A little more info on the Sitka Kelvin line...

The 2012 Kelvin Vest uses 170g/m2 Primaloft Sport insulation and is incredibly warm but also a little puffy. It weighs 18.4 oz and sells for $189.

The 2012 Kelvin Lite vest uses 60g/m2 Primaloft ONE insulation and is much lower profile, yet still very warm. It weighs 13.6oz and sells for $149.

If I'm sitting, Kelvin. If I'm moving and just need a little extra something to throw on when I stop, Kelvin Lite.

Many thanks,
Corey Jacobsen
Elk101.com

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
The above guys are spot on with the Kelvin, great piece of equipment to have in the tool bag. Check out Elk101.com for it, great pricing, great company.