Price no option, Best Muzzleloader?

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
Illinois has 1 reg that would effect a 45cal ML. It has to shoot a 44cal bullet or larger. So that means you have to shoot sabotless which is a simple task with an adjustable sizing die. Its pretty simple to take any Savage 10 and swap barrels or a Rem700 with a Remage barrel.

Bam you got a 300yard and beyond deer hammer thats completely legal in Illinois. Slap a nice stock and trigger on them. You basically have what some builders are charging you 2 grand+ to own.

My ULA at its peak pricing was $1800. Timney trigger, 26" Douglas Prem XX barrel (special order for 26") and the action/stock made in house. All wrapped up into a sub 8lb killing machine ready to hunt. When Mevlin was selling them, anyone could buy it. All you had to do was be patient and wait over a year to get it. ;)

Last edited:
OP
J

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
Illinois has 1 reg that would effect a 45cal ML. It has to shoot a 44cal bullet or larger. So that means you have to shoot sabotless which is a simple task with an adjustable sizing die. Its pretty simple to take any Savage 10 and swap barrels or a Rem700 with a Remage barrel.

Bam you got a 300yard and beyond deer hammer thats completely legal in Illinois. Slap a nice stock and trigger on them. You basically have what some builders are charging you 2 grand+ to own.

My ULA at its peak pricing was $1800. Timney trigger, 26" Douglas Prem XX barrel (special order for 26") and the action/stock made in house. All wrapped up into a sub 8lb killing machine ready to hunt. When Mevlin was selling them, anyone could buy it. All you had to do was be patient and wait over a year to get it. ;)

Interesting. I never knew you could convert a bolt action rifle into a muzzleloader.

I'd love to do something like that. I wouldn't even know where to go to do something like this. That's why I asked the Q about any old Joe-schmo could buy online or in a brick-n-mortar store.

Do you have a link or contact info for someone that could put what your talking about together?

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
All you need is a Savage barrel nut wrench and a go/no go module from Arrowhead rifles. You can do it yourself if you have a Savage model 10, 11 ect or Stevens with very basic tools. You want the .473 bolt head such as 243Win, 308Win ect. The LRMP modules fit that bolt face.

You would have to buy a barrel and single shot follower if you had a suitable action already. Large shank would be preferred and 4.40" stock screw spacing.

Last edited:
I own 2 smokless muzzleloaders and both are on each end of the spectrum. First one is a cva scout 45-70 that I had a breach plug installed. The other is a savage centerfire action with a pacnor barrel installed, pillar bedded into a Boyd’s stock. Either would be way to go if you don’t have restrictions. And ditch the sabot, get a sizing die and go bullet to bore.

I wish I would've bought the Remington 700 when they were available. I settled on a Encore Pro Hunter. It's good for 500 yards with me behind it. But that's only because I "volume confirmed" a powder charge and now weight those out and some what sort for consistency. Being honest the components for muzzle loading is ok but not great. All my components are OTC stuff.

SpringM1A

Lil-Rokslider
CVA Optima, CVA Wolf, CVA Accura V2 * higher price but well worth it!* are all excellent shooters with great triggers and easy to care for.

My Knight 45cal will shoot 1 ragged hole at 100yds and I can shoot it moa out to 4-500yds if not farther. This is using BH209.

If you were going smokless I would go with Arrowhead.

Where you at in Illinois? I live in Illinois. I have 2 smokeless guns I'd be happy to show you some time. Both guns are capable beyond 500. I'm out of room beyond 500. One is built by Arrowhead, one is built by Bestill. If $ is really no object get yourself a good smokeless build. The benefits of smokeless are pretty good benefits. Bestill only builds Omegas now. Arrowhead, LR Customs, Hankins would be where I'd shop right now.

LightFoot

WKR
You can put a DANDY top of the line scope on an Arrowhead or LRC rifle for the exorbitant extra price of a McWhorter. Which will not shoot any more accurate than a custom from Arrowhead or LRC.

Maybe….

But if money is no object…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
J

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
I think the thread title is “money is no option” so the OP must want to obtain a rifle without the use of money…..🤣
Careful now.... I'm not looking for a "five finger discount" lol! 😆😆

Last edited:

LeoX

FNG
Ok guys, if money were no option, what's the best "long range" muzzleloader? (I'd also ask to keep it to production made muzzleloaders. Something that a person could buy online or in a store. Not something a gunsmith created as a special request or "one of a kind" muzzleloader.)

I've been here a while lurking in the background reading a lot about CVAs Muzzleloader going out to 300 yds. Remington had one that promoted 300 yds.

But I ran across Gunwerks Magnus a few yrs back, they claims in can go out to 500 yds! 😳😳 (granted it's $10k+)

I'm in IL and they just passed a law that now you can use straightwalled, single ahot cartridges after Jan. 1st for deer.

But I'd be lying if I didn't find a 500 yd muzzleloader something to dream about. Especially for elk out west. To be able to basically have rifle-like range during muzzleloader season, and not have to worry about the normal rifle crowd. Or to be able to touch a deer at 500 in my home state of IL.

So, if price were no option, what muzzleloader would you get to go long range?
Arrowhead muzzleloader