Price no option, Best Muzzleloader?

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
Ok guys, if money were no option, what's the best "long range" muzzleloader? (I'd also ask to keep it to production made muzzleloaders. Something that a person could buy online or in a store. Not something a gunsmith created as a special request or "one of a kind" muzzleloader.)

I've been here a while lurking in the background reading a lot about CVAs Muzzleloader going out to 300 yds. Remington had one that promoted 300 yds.

But I ran across Gunwerks Magnus a few yrs back, they claims in can go out to 500 yds! 😳😳 (granted it's $10k+)

I'm in IL and they just passed a law that now you can use straightwalled, single ahot cartridges after Jan. 1st for deer.

But I'd be lying if I didn't find a 500 yd muzzleloader something to dream about. Especially for elk out west. To be able to basically have rifle-like range during muzzleloader season, and not have to worry about the normal rifle crowd. Or to be able to touch a deer at 500 in my home state of IL.

So, if price were no option, what muzzleloader would you get to go long range?

There are guys shooting 40 cals over smokeless powder well beyond 1k...and none of them are drinking Gunwerks koolaid.
It can definitely be done, and it's not near as complex or expensive as some want to make it sound.
Just an action, quality 45 cal blank with the right twist, breechplug, priming module (Arrowhead), and a good stock. Measure BH209 by weight, custom size bullets to the bore.
Arrowhead is a good place to start for 5k or so, but it can be done for half the price.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
It can be done for far less than Arrowhead or Gunwerks. Neither of which I'd consider a true muzzleloader. They're single shot high power rifles. To each their own.

If money isn’t a major issue, I think the Arrowhead muzzleloader is hard to beat. It is a tested system with recommended loads and their own ignition system and bullets. I am sure the GunWerks rifles are great but the price seems pretty excessive, even for a custom.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've been impressed with the cva paramount pro I have. I did a review on it. It'll shoot the distance you mentioned. I do like the arrowhead ignition system better than the variflame but I've not had any problems with mine.

KHNC

WKR
Paramount Pro has been out of stock for a while. Not sure if it can be purchased this year or not. 45 cal at least anyway.

Edit: Sportsmans has in stock for 1399.00 and free shipping right now.

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
Not something a gunsmith created as a special request or "one of a kind" muzzleloader.)
Well what exactly do you think a Gunwerks is then? Its not like i can stroll into any shop and buy one. Its a custom and more than likely built when you order it. Looks like 150 day lead time atm....So yeah its a custom.

So if a Gunwerks is fine in your eyes then my Ultra Light Arms model 20 would be also.

Last edited:
CVA ACCURA MR NITRIDE .50 caliber.

I have had a bunch of muzzleloaders. This one is the best IMHO.

Killed a pile of animals with mine.

Easy to clean, Very accurate, great trigger, great scope base, and Light.

This is the one I own and the two bucks I killed with it last year. Capture.JPG20211010_4.jpg

IMG_0532.JPG

6rn5xa.jpg

CVA ACCURA MR NITRIDE .50 caliber.

I have had a bunch of muzzleloaders. This one is the best IMHO.

Killed a pile of animals with mine.

Easy to clean, Very accurate, great trigger, great scope base, and Light.

This is the one I own and the two bucks I killed with it last year. View attachment 446672

I bought a very similar model. I haven't shot it a lot but I would basically agree with your points.

However, the high comb made it a real pain to setup open sights for Colorado.

They do seem to have a few similar models available with open sights now though.

OP
J

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
Check the muzzleloader regulations in the states in which you might consider hunting elk. Some have restrictions on caliber, bullet/powder type, etc.
Yes, I know places like Colorado need open sights and conical balls as opposed to modern sabots.

I was just curious cuz other than what I see in advertisements and on TV I'm completely out of the muzzleloader game and have been for about 7-8 yrs.

But I do like the idea of going 300-500 yds for an extra season.

My experience with my own muzzleloaders is 150-200 yds, basically a glorified slug gun. Which to me I already have being in IL, so why not shoot slugs and have 3 shots?

OP
J

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
Well what exactly do you think a Gunwerks is then? Its not like i can stroll into any shop and buy one. Its a custom and more than likely built when you order it. Looks like 150 day lead time atm....So yeah its a custom.

So if a Gunwerks is fine in your eyes then my Ultra Light Arms model 20 would be also.

I guess I meant that anyone can jump on Gunwerks site and buy one if they want.

When I say "one of a kind" I mean a gunsmith makes a completely unique muzzleloader, for only you and isn't available to anyone else.

Yes, I know places like Colorado need open sights and conical balls as opposed to modern sabots.
That and a minimum of 50 caliber.

I don't have the knowledge/experience to suggest a specific make/model of long range muzzleloader, just pointing out something to consider if you want to use it on elk someday.

OP
J

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
That and a minimum of 50 caliber.

I don't have the knowledge/experience to suggest a specific make/model of long range muzzleloader, just pointing out something to consider if you want to use it on elk someday.
Yup, your absolutely correct.

I don't have the knowledge either and am saving up for one. I have a standard CVA Wolf for deer here in IL, but I was just hoping/wondering if I could take a muzzleloader farther. Like I said, I've been reading about that CVA for $1,200 (goes to 300) and the Gunwerks for $10k (goes to 500), and I was hoping there was some middle ground on a muzzleloader I didn't know about.