Precision gas gun, Form?

CTXhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Thoroughbred armament is running a coupon code on MK12 uppers as well. PRI also has a veteran/LE discount for those that applies to. I have a Mod H on the way.

Functional differences. If I understand, tbe LMt is the better route to go?

If you functionally want the most rigid upper receiver/handguard. Seems that accuracy isn't always LMT's strong suit. I’m also mostly AR ignorant though.

Last edited:

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Functional differences. If I understand, tbe LMt is the better route to go?

Depends on use. What is your use for it?

The LMT upper is all one machined piece- the receiver and handguard monolithic. Which means it is the strongest and least flexible friend option on the market. It also allows quick change barrels in 20 seconds or so by loosing the two screws at the front of the receiver and pulling the barrel out-IMG_0505.jpeg

The MK12 is a convention upper with a very stiff forened, that also has a full length additional top pic rail.

You can see the standard separate upper receiver and handguard here-
1722557209843.jpeg

This is the full length top rail-
IMG_0502.jpeg

And how it is attached to the forend-
IMG_0504.jpeg

rbutcher1234

Lil-Rokslider
@rbutcher1234 was one of the main reasons I got mine. I was waffling whether or not to, then I was peer pressured into my favorite can. I then got a Gordon M4 from Ron Allen which is still currently homeless until I can figure out something that I like it on. Nothing that it works with is objectively better than the AEM5, so AEM5 gets the love. Even over the Hyperion, which was also purchased under the direction of the homie.

@NSI I was just referencing the barrel contact issues that I've seen other people have when installing rail sections to PRI tubes, and a few instances of top rails (SPR and Recce) impacting accuracy. I can't absolutely confirm one way or the other because I've never owned a PRI tube. I should have said "In my experience observations". I thought the last part about the only ones I've done were with KAC rails made that clear but I can see how my opener was misleading.
1722566091812.png

Mostly positional shooting from 100-500 yards, burning a lot of bulk 223 ammo, occasional deer or two. Will likely have a NF 1-8 on it. Hoping for sub 2inch 10 round groups.

The pictures you added cleared up a lot.

No issues with POI shift on the barrel system the LMT after drops? or the system working its way loose? I assume not if are using it.

From what i understand, the MK12 attaches via the barrel nut, but the stiffness of the entire system prevents POI shifts? The LMT never touches the barrel nut and remains unaffected.

Depends on use. What is your use for it?

Reactions: NSI

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Mostly positional shooting from 100-500 yards, burning a lot of bulk 223 ammo, occasional deer or two. Will likely have a NF 1-8 on it. Hoping for sub 2inch 10 round groups.

Ok. For that use, and not close/fast shooting- my preference if going with an 18” barrel would be the MK12. There is a 16” barrel version called the MK12 Mod H which is also very good, as a bit shorter/lighter. For that use a 14.5” or 16” barrel in an LMT would work very well also.

The good news is, these two options are legitimately the top two options. Either/both are solid and will work well.

The pictures you added cleared up a lot.

No issues with POI shift on the barrel system the LMT after drops? or the system working its way loose? I assume not if are using it.

Not a bit. The LMT MRP platform is the most robust and overall reliable system for durability that exists. I have seen a bunch of LMT with more than 40,000 rounds on them used very hard- one has more than 60,000 rounds on the upper and barrel. 2 MOA, 10 round group with good ammo is well within expected.

From what i understand, the MK12 attaches via the barrel nut, but the stiffness of the entire system prevents POI shifts?

Correct.

The LMT never touches the barrel nut and remains unaffected.

Sort of. The LMT MRP doesn’t have a barrel nut, the receiver is what clamps around the barrel extension, and the barrel extension has groove cut into it that one of the two clamp screws pass through preventing the barrel from moving regardless.

Ok. For that use, and not close/fast shooting- my preference if going with an 18” barrel would be the MK12. There is a 16” barrel version called the MK12 Mod H which is also very good, as a bit shorter/lighter. For that use a 14.5” or 16” barrel in an LMT would work very well also.
Thank you so much for taking the time on this. I am really liking the LMT system the more I look at it, likley a 16" or 14.5" barrel. It will pull double duty as a home defense should the need ever arise (hope it never does)- I just don't shoot enough close up/fast stuff to justify a $4K set up. I can justify a longish range rig that I can hunt with.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Thank you so much for taking the time on this. I am really liking the LMT system the more I look at it, likley a 16" or 14.5" barrel. It will pull double duty as a home defense should the need ever arise (hope it never does)- I just don't shoot enough close up/fast stuff to justify a $4K set up. I can justify a longish range rig that I can hunt with.

No problem. The 14.5” barrel will be good for that. If you can find one, the Specwar or MLR upper with a 14.5” barrel is a really solid setup.

No problem. The 14.5” barrel will be good for that. If you can find one, the Specwar or MLR upper with a 14.5” barrel is a really solid setup.
Looking seriously at this system or press the easy button for one of the Ridgeline set ups- they seem to have the same eye for detail and focus on the important stuff as you do. The semi-mono system they use also avoids touching the barrel nut and appears to be very rigid, but i'm sure ill end up with the LMT. Thank you again for the time and education.

Remington92

Lil-Rokslider
Hey @Formidilosus did your pri uppers come with phos/chrome lined bcg or nitride? I just got mine in the mail and for 1700 msrp I assumed it would have more than a nitride bcg? Maybe its just old fud wisdom that I correlate nitride ar parts with budget.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Hey @Formidilosus did your pri uppers come with phos/chrome lined bcg or nitride?

No idea. I lube them, then shoot them.

I just got mine in the mail and for 1700 msrp I assumed it would have more than a nitride bcg? Maybe its just old fud wisdom that I correlate nitride ar parts with budget.

Nitride is and can be an excellent treatment.

LCV

FNG
Am I correct in understanding it’s only the carbon fiber handguard + top rail making the mk12 setup stiffer compared to the more common setups? Meaning if I throw a pri handguard and top rail on an upper + barrel I already have I could expect similar/same benefits? @Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Am I correct in understanding it’s only the carbon fiber handguard + top rail making the mk12 setup stiffer compared to the more common setups?

Barrel nut and handguard attachment, forened size and material, and full-length receiver to handguard rail.

Meaning if I throw a pri handguard and top rail on an upper + barrel I already have I could expect similar/same benefits? @Formidilosus

Yes.

CTXhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Excuse the messy work bench and I’m waiting on parts to come in to finish the lower it will ultimately end up on but is the mk12 the semi auto version of the rss? The 3-9 swfa looks at home on it.
Also placed a backorder for a ocm5 to go with it soon hopefully.

View attachment 744639
I’m throwing a fixed 10x SWFA on my Mod H upper when it comes in. As a military guy I 100% support the mk12 being the gasser RSS