Practice ammo

Wworker

FNG
I'll be going on my first Montana rifle elk hunt this fall. I want to be as prepared as possible, so I've been practicing shooting at longer distances than I have in the past (200-600 yards). I also know I need to practice in real world situations, (standing, kneeling, etc.), not just off a bench.

I'm shooting a 7mm rem mag. and I'm not reloading at this point. With better factory loads at $40-$60/box, I'm wondering if I could use less expensive ammo for practice early on and then switch to the premium ammo in late summer?

I know I will need to shoot enough of the premium loads to verify my zero and drops at distance. I'm just thinking I might be able to shoot more with the cheaper ammo.

What do you think?

ckleeves

WKR
I don’t see any issue at all as long as you verify your drops. Even better shoot 1k rounds of 223 this summer. That will do more for your shooting and be cheaper then 200 rounds of 7mag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amassi

WKR
Trigger time is trigger time, does not matter if your launching core lokts or bergers.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

If you have an accurate .22 bolt gun, I would recommend getting most of your trigger time with the .22.

22 ammo is dirt cheap, and things like trigger control and positional shooting are similar between the 22 and your hunting rifle.

The problem with using cheaper ammo to practice with your hunting rifle is that you are introducing accuracy variables into your shooting. When your shots are off target, you won't know if it's something you did, or if it's the fault of cheap ammo.

Because of this, I tend not to shoot cheap ammo out of my hunting rifles. I practice the fundamentals with a 22, and then practice big-rifle specific skills (recoil control especially) using the ammunition I plan on hunting with.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I keep a fair bit of federal blue box Ammo around in all calibers that I have just for practice. I find it shoots accuratly enough in my guns that it makes for good comparison. No reason to go shoot off a 40 dollar box of Ammo when I can shoot off an 18-20 dollar box. I just picked up a case of it in 6.5cm for practice.

In the case of my 375HH, even the federal blue box is still 50 bucks a box.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
trigger time is trigger time
if you have ammo that is not up to the accuracy of your best just shorten the range.

I. Ever saw much carry over between my 22 and my 308 though. So I sort of disagree. I think you need to shoot what you plan to shoot. Otherwise popping off a few mags formmmy g19 would make me better with my rifle.

At 600 yards you will notice flaws that you do not at 100 yards, just make sure the ammo is accurate enough for you to be the problem.
Practicing the fundmentals with smaller calibers and pistols can certainly increase proficiency. Dry firing can be beneficial as well.

Esse quam videri

OP
W

Wworker

FNG
I don’t see any issue at all as long as you verify your drops. Even better shoot 1k rounds of 223 this summer. That will do more for your shooting and be cheaper then 200 rounds of 7mag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good idea, my problem is I only have an AR in .223 though. Buying a new bolt gun in .223 would be nice but it kills the saving money goal.

OP
W

Wworker

FNG
If you have an accurate .22 bolt gun, I would recommend getting most of your trigger time with the .22.

22 ammo is dirt cheap, and things like trigger control and positional shooting are similar between the 22 and your hunting rifle.
The problem with using cheaper ammo to practice with your hunting rifle is that you are introducing accuracy variables into your shooting.

When your shots are off target, you won't know if it's something you did, or if it's the fault of cheap ammo. This is certainly a valid point, and one I was concerned with also.

Because of this, I tend not to shoot cheap ammo out of my hunting rifles. I practice the fundamentals with a 22, and then practice big-rifle specific skills (recoil control especially) using the ammunition I plan on hunting with.

Agreed, I am shooting .22 to work on my fundamentals.

howl

WKR
If the more affordable loads are accurate enough to tell what you're doing, what's the difference?

You can load your own practice rounds with the inexpensive hand die or hand press kits from Lee. Neck sizing doesn't take much force. The Lee dippers are accurate if you follow instructions and are consistent in your technique. It is not unusual to see good groups with ammo made that way. You will realize those kits are a legitimate way to make decent loads. For one thing, hand dies are popular with bench rest shooters. They just use an arbor press instead of a mallet. And the dippers are basically the same method of measuring that is used to make factory ammo.

Most of my practice for distance is dry fire and rimfire. Dry fire between live fire with centerfire. I load my own and have my own range. Large volumes of fire from a centerfire only happens on guns with easily replaceable barrels.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Otherwise popping off a few mags formmmy g19 would make me better with my rifle.

Actually, done correctly- it will.

On the .22, get a 22 bolt gun with a reliable dialing scope like a SWFA SS and shoot it out to 300-400 yards with a timer from field positions and you will see a huge carryover to any other bolt gun.

For wind, using a wind bracket with mils, the wind drift for most .22 sub-Sonics is 6- 8mph per 10 yards, versus 6-8 mph per 100 yards with high BC centerfires. What that means is a 2moa Target is a 2moa target whether it’s at 500 or 50 yards. A .22 in the wind on a 2moa target (1”) at 50 yards, is as hard to hit as a 2moa target (10’ish”) at 500 yards with a 6.5 Creed.

My preference on a practice gun is fast twisted, lightweight 223 with a good scope and shooting high BC bullets. A T3 with a 1-8” twist, SWFA SS mil/mil scope, and 75/77gr match ammo is the greatest mid-range (0-600yds) teacher there is. The fact that most end up using it for most of their deer hunting is just a bonus.

We can load you up custom handloads in once fired brass using good but less expensive bullets, save money on brass and get trigger time.
Also, scrap that factory ammo for a big hunt out in Montana. We have 7mm Mag custom loads that are extremely accurate and consistent. They will make you far more accurate at 300+ yards.

Factory ammo is machine loaded. No QC, we weigh very bullet, every powder charge, hand prep brass, and hand seat the primers. $59.99 per box plus shipping.

PENDLETON AMMUNITION - HOME