Powdered potatoes and other back country staples???

MLHSN

Lil-Rokslider
Nice Jim, I haven't seen the Bacon Cheddar Chipotle around these parts yet. I'll have to keep an eye out for them. I usually go with the buttery potatoes mix. It appeared to be the highest calorie content. I've been taken Idahoan potatoes almost every trip for the last couple of years. They go great with my finger steaks and asparagus.

Just ordered up a variety pack of IDAHOAN instant taters off amazon if anyone is interested...looking forward to these!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Q138TO/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Brock, Bi-Mart usually has these on sale regularly for $0.75ea and Fredmeyer puts them on sale at 10/$10.

re: Bear Creek soups
They require some pretty long Simmer times. If you have the Fuel, they can work, but they are far from instant.
Usually I find they make a good base, but need more meat and or pasta.

Rocky, I took a closer look at the Bear Creek soups mixes and it appears some of them (the ones w/o beans) don't take that long to cook/re-hydrate, like the Brocolli & Cheddar and a couple other "creamy potato" ones. I know they say simmer 10-15min but in a cozy I think they will rehydrate fine w/ boiling water. Like you, I think they could benefit from a protien & carb boost from some meat & pasta. And they also serve multiple people...I usually use the bean versions at base camp to feed the gang,.... not exactly porportioned for single serve. But they could be used at home, w/ left overs dehydrated. Or perhaps the pkg could be divided into single serve size w/ dehydrated chicken, brocolli & angle hair pasta or instant rice added before vac sealing.
I'm not ready to rule these out just yet.
Hunt'nFish

Last edited:
Along the ramen noodle theme...Here's something similar I'm going to try.
They come in several differant flavors: Teriyaki, Thai Peanut, KungPao, Orange Chicken, etc.
They cost about $1ea and I hear you can get them for 1/2 that at times... sales, coupons.
As is, they run about 500cal per meal but I figured I'd spike them w/ diced Teriyaki jerky to up the protien. I also re-packaged into ziplock vac bags to save space.
Hunt'nFish

51VW%2BYCtNoL._SX300_.jpg

Last edited:

desertcj

WKR
After trying the potatoes a few times, they aren't my favorite. Edible, just not the best IMO. I actually REALLY like the mountain house lasagnia with meat sauce. I added two slices/servings of cheddar cheese and a serving of salami to it and it was BOMB. I did the same thing to the chili mac with beef and it was pretty good, but not as good as the lasagnia IMO.

made a little shopping trip and check out how much sodium was in some of it:eek: I was able to find a few items but it was hard. I will try to post a few pictures later.