Possibly the last custom action for me

Badseed

WKR
Starting next month, California has a stupid 11% sin tax that will be implemented on all firearms and ammo. With that in mind I am looking to buy a custom action that I can build on later. Im leaning towards a custom action because I like the long term functionality of swapping barrels and calibers.

Im leaning towards a short action since I already have a LPA medium action and a Remington 700 300 Weatherby for any bigger game hunts. I can figure out the caliber later but likely a 6.5cm for my sons to shoot. The hard part is figuring out which action I should buy. Primary purposes would be hunting coyotes, and mule deer with normal range sessions. Weight isnt a huge factor but the idea of a nice light 22” 6.5cm is appealing.

I know this is like asking for the best color in a crayon box but Im stuck evaluating these actions.

Defiance anti-x, anti, classic - (varying prices, mixed reviews, lightweight, lots of pre-fit options)
Terminus Apollo lite - (lightweight, 60 degree throw, expensive)
LPA fuzion - (lightweight, cycles smooth, light bolt lift, already have a medium action so looking for something different)
Kelby Nanook - (lightweight, tons of positive reviews and lots of people calling it the smoothest action out there)
Origin - (second cheapest option, have heard mixed reviews about reliability with the bolt head sticking on quick cycles).

I have only cycled the LPA action and some old Defiance actions so I don’t have experience with the other variants. Any other opinions from people who have tried them all? Im stuck in analysis paralysis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BBob

WKR
BAT Vesper or Bumblebee.
(y) I have a Bumblebee, with the teflon coated hard anodized action body combined with the nitrided bolt it's very smooth. This combo is smoother than any nitrided steel on nitrided steel that I have used.

Other than a different model Defiance (that I had nitrided) I haven't used anything on your list to compare to.

ID_Matt

WKR
I never liked the feel of the anti-x and don't love the heavier bolt lift of 60 degree throws. I am probably biased towards lone peak because I have used them for so long, but if weight isn't a huge consideration, I don't think the fuzion can be beat.

OP
Badseed

Badseed

WKR
I never liked the feel of the anti-x and don't love the heavier bolt lift of 60 degree throws. I am probably biased towards lone peak because I have used them for so long, but if weight isn't a huge consideration, I don't think the fuzion can be beat.

I love my fuzion with the alpine port. Not quite as light as the anti but lighter than most. I wish I could compare the two but I don’t know anyone who has an anti.

What about the anti feel do you not like?

Grandslam1122

FNG
Classified Approved
I have some Anti and AntiX along with a couple of Classic actions. They are smooth and function very well. With any Action out there, there are plus and minus issues. The best value is the Classic especially if you find one on sale. The only negatives to the above actions are, Classic has a pinned recoil lug, probably wouldn’t ever see any difference but you do lose some barrel threads and rigidity compared to the integrated lug actions. The Anti X limits your scope options on some scopes if you like to keep it low. The Classic and Anti has unlimited possibilities but is not as bomb proof as an integral rail. The design of the bolt handle on all of the above actions can have clearance issues with the eyepiece on some scopes depending on ring height and eyepiece diameter. Defiance just released a new Renegade action that might check all your boxes. It now features an integrated lug and has the Anti cuts on the action along with extra deep Anti fluting on the bolt. The bolt on this action has more eyepiece clearance as it is a one piece 700 style with a cut in the top. It is listed on their website to weigh 23 ounces in a Short Action. With any Defiance actions I would want it Nitrided. The price for that has decreased significantly and I feel it is definitely worth it. There are many good options out there but I have been pleased with Defiance and they have always given me great customer service.

2backcountry

Lil-Rokslider
I love my fuzion with the alpine port. Not quite as light as the anti but lighter than most. I wish I could compare the two but I don’t know anyone who has an anti.

What about the anti feel do you not like?

Where are located in Cali ?..... I have a Defiance Anti X nitrided ( Medium ) on a 7saum build and also a Lone Peak Ti Fusion ( Long ) on a 7PRC build to compare.

Send me a PM if you would like and we can go from there.

If you're not THAT worried about weight and want a R700 SA custom (I realize it's been a month so not sure if you already got one), I'd choose between Lone Peak and Impact. I personally went with a LP Fuzion for my recent build (it's done next week, excited). But Impact is another brand that you can't go wrong with. I'm not saying that R700 custom clones are as reliable as Tikkas just due to their triggers, but Lone Peak and Impact seem to be the two most reliable R700 clones from what I hear.

That's reflected in their usage in the PRS and NRL. Though I am absolutely not claiming that PRS and NRL are as hard on actions as actual hunting situations. I'll link the survey of the top PRS shooters below, with the caveat that I am not saying they necessarily translate that great to hunting. So please no one yell at me for saying something that I'm not saying.

If you care about weight a little bit, then I'd just choose between an Impact NBK and LP Fuzion Ti or Alpine I guess.

Last edited:
OP
Badseed

Badseed

WKR
Where are located in Cali ?..... I have a Defiance Anti X nitrided ( Medium ) on a 7saum build and also a Lone Peak Ti Fusion ( Long ) on a 7PRC build to compare.

Send me a PM if you would like and we can go from there.

I appreciate the offer but after realizing that I have a sufficient quantity of calibers to do what I want, I turned my focus to glass and started upgrading some of my lesser desirable scopes. Personally, I think that there is more value in having tier 1 glass on a semi custom rifle such as a seekins compared to having a full custom rifle with a vortex scope. My son’s rifle now has a nice trijicon tenmile.

Mattman215

Lil-Rokslider
I love all my defiance deviants. I hate kelbly they felt junky to me and the mechanical extractor I could not stand.

I think all are pretty good accuracy wise with the right set up and gunsmith.

Instead of picking an action maybe pick a non communist state?….o nvm

Krumfola

FNG
I sold my Impact and now have 2 Kelblys, 1 long and 1 short. I love them. For under $1000 when on sale, the Atlas Tactical is hard to beat. The next one I buy will likely be a Terminus or Curtis for the 60 degree throw.

OP
Badseed

Badseed

WKR
I think a sub 90 throw would be a great feature in an action.