Port Strike

Shawn Fain is the president of the UAW and during the recent autoworkers strike he said Stellantar (maker of jeep, ram, and Chrysler) is the enemy. He got much of the pay raise he was asking for. Now, unfortunately, there are media reports about Stellantis laying off 50% of their US workforce

The longshoremen are walking down that same road to pricing themselves out of a job
Mexico imports over 700k vehicles into the U.S. now…..

Mexico imports over 700k vehicles into the U.S. now…..
Back in the late 60's, railroads built what they call "high-cube" boxcars.
From bulkhead to bulkhead, those cars are 96 feet long and 10 feet tall inside.
The cars are loaded with wire crates of auto parts.
Hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of those "Hi-Cube" cars cross the Mexican border daily.
Automobile parts are assembled into components, loaded BACK in those Hi-Cube cars and returned stateside to auto manufacturers to be assembled into vehicles.

But unions are so stupid, they have yet to realize their inordinate demands have forced corporations to seek cheaper labor across the border!
There is NO automobile "manufactured" wholly within the U.S.! They are all assembled from foreign manufactured parts!

That's why when my eldest was looking for a 1 ton, dually, 4 door pickup, dealerships were asking $75,000!

BBob

WKR
All I can find is it is a six year deal. I knew they would not get eight years, and kind by surprised by six. If it is ten years, that's crazy.
A deal has been struck to end the US port strike.

“Effective immediately, all current job actions will cease and all work covered by the Master Contract will resume,” both parties said in a joint statement.

Dockworkers will see an approximately 62% wage hike over six years under the new deal, a source familiar with the bargaining process told Reuters. The union had been asking for a 77% raise.

With the biggest issue — wages — settled, both sides have agreed to extend their master contract through Jan. 15, 2025, to continue bargaining on several other outstanding contract issues while dockhands are back at work. The extension buys both parties time to negotiate a new six-year contract.

The strike, which began just after midnight Tuesday when the prior contract expired, was the first time dock workers with the union walked off the job since 1977.

Poser

WKR
If you work in sales and like to pull in high dollars, now is probably a great time to be looking into sales jobs for automation/robotics companies.

Yoder

WKR
good thing fema gave the $ to illegals and has no more for citizens
Good thing the Republicans and Democrats ALL signed the bill to send billions to Ukraine. They should make the members of congress pay the Hurricane relief money out of their own pockets.

sasquatch

WKR
UAW member here, in 12.5 years ive seen a total of 3 people fired.. one of which was his 5th time, and he was rehired 3 months later... again. from my POV that's ALL the union does is prevent people from being fired and/or held accountable in any way.

I can vouch for this from the USW side.

I’ll say it doesn’t “prevent” people from being fired, it just makes it so difficult and creates so many problems companies generally just stop trying. Then over time it drags down the good workers as they get tired of getting the same pay/benefits as the ones who just sit around and don’t produce.

Next thing you know 20 years goes by and everyone’s skill/work ethic deteriorates.

Giant HR departments and Lawyers control too much of the discipline side while simultaneously not having any part in the effect of those decisions on the company or management. When last has HR had to explain a production loss? Never

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Trade unions are a little different ua pipefitter a contractor will get your money for lack of production it happens everyday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ridge Runner

Lil-Rokslider
Wrong coast! Chemical tech and package come in primarily from the west.
This is affecting container freight! Overwhelming majority of Gulf grain and fertilizer is bulk and is loaded/unloaded by buyers and sellers. However, it takes about 6 days to make up a day lost in the Gulf! That could raise grain basis if this thing draws out long term—which team team harris will do about anything to prevent!
The general uplift from this may actually help US Ag! Let’s hope so, as we have enough to worry about as it is…
Sorry but you're not correct. Majority of chemistry comes in through the gulf coast to formulation plants. Been in the Ag Chem business for 30 years. Currently work for the largest Ag retailer in the US and most of ours come into the gulf for formulation and packaging in Greenville MS. Most of basic manufactures also import into gulf coast.

East & Gulf Coast Statistics :

The ports shutdown by the strike account for about 90% of the waterborne chemical shipments that move in and out of the U.S.

About 138 million tons of chemicals were transported through the ports in the Gulf Coast and about 31 million tons of chemicals were transported through the East Coast ports in 2022. These chemical shipments were worth over $100 billon.

The chemicals that are shipped to and from these ports are used by every segment of the world's economy, including chemistry needed to support healthcare, advanced energy, agriculture, auto manufacturing, building and construction, household products, aerospace and defense, semiconductor chips and electronics, and more.

Learn more at: https://www.americanchemistry.com/c...t-of-us-port-strike-on-chemical-manufacturing