Port Strike

Jmort1754

WKR
Politics aside--- Keep it clean and non partisan

How big of a deal with our distribution network are we looking at?

rodney482

WKR
its a big deal if it lasts more than two weeks but with this being an election year I don’t think it will

The dock workers turned down an offer to increase wages by 50% and a tripling of employer contributions to their retirement plans yesterday. Our docks are deemed the least efficient in the world, but the union is fighting automation of any processes. Who knows how long this will drag on, and the citizens, once again, will suffer the consequences.

2531usmc

WKR
Shawn Fain is the president of the UAW and during the recent autoworkers strike he said Stellantar (maker of jeep, ram, and Chrysler) is the enemy. He got much of the pay raise he was asking for. Now, unfortunately, there are media reports about Stellantis laying off 50% of their US workforce

The longshoremen are walking down that same road to pricing themselves out of a job

Gstew1930

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
The dock workers turned down an offer to increase wages by 50% and a tripling of employer contributions to their retirement plans yesterday. Our docks are deemed the least efficient in the world, but the union is fighting automation of any processes. Who knows how long this will drag on, and the citizens, once again, will suffer the consequences.
This is not even kinda true, I work on the docks and have been sitting in on the negations. Our docks are some of the best in the world from a production stand point. Turn off CNN. Very true we fighting against automation. lol I wish they offered a 300% increase in our retirement.

fwafwow

WKR
This is not even kinda true, I work on the docks and have been sitting in on the negations. Our docks are some of the best in the world from a production stand point. Turn off CNN. Very true we fighting against automation. lol I wish they offered a 300% increase in our retirement.
Thanks for weighing in. I grew up as a typical conservative and anti-union guy. But recently my views have changed, at least in some instances. The recent railway strike was one - I had no idea of the difficulties in taking sick days, as an example.

Can you give more context and history? The WSJ reported today on the union refusing a 50% pay increase and wanting instead a 77% increase (both of which would be over a period of years) as a threshold concession to resume talks. The WSJ didn’t give any more details and focused the rest of the story on the possible consumer impact. How long has it been since there were wage increases and what other things are sought?

Gstew1930

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Thanks for weighing in. I grew up as a typical conservative and anti-union guy. But recently my views have changed, at least in some instances. The recent railway strike was one - I had no idea of the difficulties in taking sick days, as an example.

Can you give more context and history? The WSJ reported today on the union refusing a 50% pay increase and wanting instead a 77% increase (both of which would be over a period of years) as a threshold concession to resume talks. The WSJ didn’t give any more details and focused the rest of the story on the possible consumer impact. How long has it been since there were wage increases and what other things are sought?
The short answer is we have always cost 5% of the ship lines total cost. We are now 1.5%. The CEO of maersk received a 500 million dollar Christmas bonus last year lol. Yes we want a 50% increase but that’s over an 8 year period, not right off the top. To be transparent both sides have been unreasonable

Jimbee

WKR
The short answer is we have always cost 5% of the ship lines total cost. We are now 1.5%. The CEO of maersk received a 500 million dollar Christmas bonus last year lol. Yes we want a 50% increase but that’s over an 8 year period, not right off the top. To be transparent both sides have been unreasonable
In what way do you believe the union workers have been unreasonable?
(curious fellow union worker)

IMHO this is going to be a VERY big deal.

I see dock automation is the only viable path forward.

Gstew1930

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
IMHO this is going to be a VERY big deal.

I see dock automation is the only viable path forward.
I disagree, you’ve spent time on the docks & been to a full automated port? Tech in the next 10 years will be able to replace 50% of the people on this forum from their job, that doesn’t mean we should let it

I disagree, you’ve spent time on the docks & been to a full automated port? Tech in the next 10 years will be able to replace 50% of the people on this forum from their job, that doesn’t mean we should let it

I too would disagree if I had a great paying job with virtually unlimited protections and no worry from being fired or replaced by technology regardless of how good or bad of a job I did.

I grew up in a union family (General Electric). I know Unions well.

For the record, I hope you folks can reach a deal. The greed of CEOs of the world are problems inside and outside of unions.

Gstew1930

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I too would disagree if I had a great paying job with virtually unlimited protections and no worry from being fired or replaced by technology regardless of how good or bad of a job I did.

For the record, I hope you folks can reach a deal. The greed of CEOs of the world are problems inside and outside of unions.
I can’t speak for every local but mine constantly fires & removes people from the roster. Apparently we are worried about being replaced technology lol. What do you do for a living?

Jimbee

WKR

People always use the argument that unions prevent folks from being fired. I'm not saying this doesn't ever happen, I've just never seen it. I have seen multiple people get fired.