Poor quality Winchester brass!

I've had a couple bags of 6mm Remington Winchester brass (50 rounds each) sitting on the shelf in my reloading room that I've had for maybe 4 years and just got around to prepping them to be loaded. In doing this prep work I found that out of 100 rounds of brass that I was truing up that 32 of them were defective to the point that I could not safely use them. It appeared that not enough brass was used in the cases and there were gaps and lines in the neck/shoulder area. You could actually see through some of the gaps. I was pretty unhappy to say the least. Brass is not cheap!

I contacted Winchester and told them of the situation and I included pictures of the brass. The woman I spoke with was very helpful and informed me to send the brass in and once they had it they would have it replaced and shipped back to me. I guess that's another part of the equation. I felt like man they were right on this and would help me out but it apparently hasn't worked out that way as I still haven't seen the replacement brass after a few weeks. I think I expected better results than this.

You said gaps you could see through and lines. Do you mean it was cracked? I haven't seen that before right out of the bag

Winchester brass has always been junk, typically at least a 10% cull rate due to split necks and shoulders. The only reason to use it is if it's all you can possibly get your hands on.

Many years ago I bought 200 pieces (2 bags) of Winchester 22-250 brass. About eight out of one bag had issues. Looking down into the case it looked like the neck was delaminating. I called and they requested photos, after sending the photos they offered a coupon for a free bag of brass. Pretty good service IMO.

You said gaps you could see through and lines. Do you mean it was cracked? I haven't seen that before right out of the bag
It was not cracked it was as if not enough brass was used forming the case. I tried to find the pictures but haven't found them yet. When you see what I am talking about you will be shocked.

I like win brass, this sounds unfortunate.

Remember that brass is hard to come by these days, might be a little while before they get some in to send to you.

Back