Primer pocket size after multiple firings

JFK

WKR
I have two batches of brass that have multiple (3-5) firings on it. The brass looks great in all aspects, zero split necks, still getting consistent neck tension, etc. These are top end 270win loads so shorter brass life is to be expected.

My question relates to primer pocket size and what is acceptable. I was prepping some of the brass last night and on the first few I seated primers they go in with virtually zero effort with a hand priming tool. Primers go in and look good once seated, and definitely aren’t in any danger of falling out, but the effort to seat them is drastically different than when they were new or even last firing. Is there a generally accepted standard for how loose is too loose? I’m not trying to save a few bucks, but it’s a couple hundred pieces of brass with developed loads so if I can shoot it safely one more time I’d like to do that.

Dos XX

WKR

Personally, I would never try to tighten primer pockets. I have seen some devices that claim they can do it. If they are loose, it is time to move on. What brand of brass? Can you seat one with your thumb? Kidding about the thumb. Kind of.

I was working up a load for a .260 once. I was shooting Berger 130 hybrids. I usually shoot them at around 2950 fps. I wasn't seeing any glaring signs of pressure, so I kept going up. I got up close to 3100 fps. After shooting them that fast, I was reloading the brass, and the primers were seating way easier. I took a primer and put it on the top of the reloading table and seated it by pressing the case onto the primer. I might have been able to seat it with my thumb. Woops. In the trash. Back down to 2950 ish and rocked on.

OP
J

JFK

WKR

Personally, I would never try to tighten primer pockets. I have seen some devices that claim they can do it. If they are loose, it is time to move on. What brand of brass? Can you seat one with your thumb? Kidding about the thumb. Kind of.

I was working up a load for a .260 once. I was shooting Berger 130 hybrids. I usually shoot them at around 2950 fps. I wasn't seeing any glaring signs of pressure, so I kept going up. I got up close to 3100 fps. After shooting them that fast, I was reloading the brass, and the primers were seating way easier. I took a primer and put it on the top of the reloading table and seated it by pressing the case onto the primer. I might have been able to seat it with my thumb. Woops. In the trash. Back down to 2950 ish and rocked on.

I cannot seat one with my thumb. It’s Nosler and Hornady brass with the Nosler being the looser of the two with fewer firings than the hornady. I’ll probably just start with fresh brass. I realize running book max loads shortens brass life but they shoot too well to care.

Dos XX

WKR
I cannot seat one with my thumb. It’s Nosler and Hornady brass with the Nosler being the looser of the two with fewer firings than the hornady. I’ll probably just start with fresh brass. I realize running book max loads shortens brass life but they shoot too well to care.
Can't you make 270 brass by sizing 30 06 brass in your 270 die? If so, Lapua 30 06 might be the ticket.

OP
J

JFK

WKR
Can't you make 270 brass by sizing 30 06 brass in your 270 die? If so, Lapua 30 06 might be the ticket.
Yes you can. I just did it this morning and got a piece of brass that chambered in all three of my 270’s. Overall case length was a little shorter…2.498 on the necked down 06 brass versus the standard 2.530 for 270. I’m not overly concerned about that. What I need to check is how thick the brass is on the necks and what kind of neck tension I’d be getting. Turning necks isn’t something I want to start doing.

I’ve got 300 pcs of new 270 brass coming and I’ll likely pitch my current stuff. Necking down 30-06 in lapua might be something I look into if I can do it without neck turning.

Dos XX

WKR
Yes you can. I just did it this morning and got a piece of brass that chambered in all three of my 270’s. Overall case length was a little shorter…2.498 on the necked down 06 brass versus the standard 2.530 for 270. I’m not overly concerned about that. What I need to check is how thick the brass is on the necks and what kind of neck tension I’d be getting. Turning necks isn’t something I want to start doing.

I’ve got 300 pcs of new 270 brass coming and I’ll likely pitch my current stuff. Necking down 30-06 in lapua might be something I look into if I can do it without neck turning.
I was going to try it this morning but went and shot trap and didn't get to it. I have some Lapua 30 06 brass and a 270 die. I am intending to try to make 25 06 brass out of it by going to 270 then to 25 06. I just haven't got to it yet. It is kind of low on the list as I have a lot of PVI and Nosler 25 06 brass to shoot up.

Do you know the neck diameter of your chamber? If not, the diameter of a piece of fired 270 brass might get you close. Then maybe compare the neck diameter of a loaded 270 case to the neck diameter of a loaded necked down case?