Poll: Do You Use Hiking/Trekking Poles?

Do You Use Hiking/Trekking Poles?

• Yes (Always or When I remember to pack them)

Votes: 95 89.6%
  • No (Never, they're for girlymen)

Votes: 11 10.4%

• Total voters

Fjelljeger

Lil-Rokslider
Always. Exped explorers. Very light weight...in fact lightest I have found so far and they pack down very small.

DWarcher

WKR
Always. They save my knees and hips with heavier loads, especially downhill.

Black Diamond Compacts for me.

always, cant wait for my twist locks to die,so i can get some lever locks. my trekk poles is where i keep my emergency duct tape,wrapped several layers deep on each.

That's the trick I used to use when mountaineering :) I wrapped duct tape around my ice axe and it served as my first aid kit, blister care, clothing repair and etc! I don't use hiking poles so I wrap it around a case in my pack.......

worx53

WKR
last year mine were holding up my tent when I needed them on a brutal heavy downhill pack in a blowdown of course loaded with 1/2 an elk. I now have the pole kit for the tent and the BD poles are in the pack always when I need them.

This will be my first year with them. I'm using some BD Trail Back flick lock poles. Kind of heavy I think but using for my shelter and the heavy load on the way out.

charvey9

WKR
I actually like them for hiking in the winter or in really rough terrain, but not for hunting. I always have my bow in my hand when hunting and want the other hand free to grab stuff. No use for the poles.

They may be much more viable for rifle hunting.

NHRedleg

Lil-Rokslider
Komperdell Trailmaster Trekking Poles - Aluminum, Power Lock, Cork Grip, 20 oz. Love the cork grip and picked these up at STP for less than $50.

danarnold

WKR
I just started training with them, Huge diff. with a pack on!

BD alum, they just pop together and in soft dirt they'll pop apart, so I'm looking to upgrade

On the trails, both Elk and hiking, the walking is usually pretty easy, and I don't see the benefit. Sometimes I pick up a branch and use it as sort of a walking stick/ binocular rest, but I will ditch it as soon as I start to go off trail or just get tired of dealing with it. Off trail it's usually to thick, rocky, and steep. In spots I'm always grasping onto shrubs and/or rocks in the steep stuff, or pushing branches out of the way in the thick stuff.

I think it's more of a personal preference rather than terrain driven. Some one who is used to using trekking poles would probably use them in the same terrain that I don't.

Also I have to mention that I have Chuckar hunted from my late teens to mid thirty's and I got really sure footed from that. Ever seen any Chuckar hunters with trekking poles :)

Which hunt are you doing in 39, there is varied terrain and weather, you can PM me if you want. I took a raghorn out of 39 during the rifle season last year. I didn't use poles or feel I needed them during the hunt. Packing meat out after the hunt I probably would have used them if I had them.

Chukar hunters aren't carrying a pack either.

You are correct in that it's personal preference, but to me the rockier and more rugged it gets the more the trekking poles should be out. I've hunted with them and without them, and don't leave them behind anymore.

In fact, there have been times I wished I could attach them to my bird hunting vest while I'm chukar hunting.:)

I have found most guys who hate them never learn to use them.

This was me when I first started training with them. I didn't know what I was doing and just feeling my way through it to find what worked best. I was "square gaiting" I think they call it. Watched a couple Youtube videos for the proper technique. I was also putting my hands through the straps the wrong way at first also.

beetlespin

Lil-Rokslider
I don't have them yet but after picking up a megatarp this year and hearing the great results I will be picking a pair up myself

I haven't hunted out West, but I do a good amount of backcountry camping and hiking here in NY. The trails in the Adirondacks are steep (apparently we don't believe in switchbacks) and extremely rocky. They save my knees coming back down the mountain, especially with a pack on. I'll definitely be using them on my elk hunt next year.

birdman1

FNG
I thought they were for girlymen until buying a pair last year. Makes a world of difference when heavy and or steep

tttoadman

WKR
I have done just some training with some Leki 3 pc aluminum poles. I am really impressed. I would expect to use these when going in heavy before season, at night, or coming out heavy. These only pack own to 25". I can dismantle them and tuck them inside the pack when not in use.

I used them for the fist time on a scouting trip this season. My dad had a pair of leki that he never used so I took them. I really noticed the difference going uphill. being able to use upper body strength to help my legs push uphill and get traction on loose dirt. For being farther out of shape than normal the pack in and out wasn't bad with the help of the pole. I let a buddy try them out on an up hill stretch for 10min and without them I was dieing lol.