Poll: Do You Use Hiking/Trekking Poles?

Do You Use Hiking/Trekking Poles?

• Yes (Always or When I remember to pack them)

Votes: 95 89.6%
  • No (Never, they're for girlymen)

Votes: 11 10.4%

• Total voters

Trr15

WKR
Leki carbon lites (new this year). Poles usually stay in the pack until I have a heavy load on. The slight weight penalty is worth it when you need them.

djsmith46

Lil-Rokslider
I would be tempted to turn around and go back home just to grab them if I ever forgot them. Just started using them this year....awesome! Helinox DL 145. Now for hunting in the re-prod, or brush off trail below treeline for elk in Western Washington.....waste of time.

OP
Ironman8

Ironman8

WKR
Thanks for the responses so far guys. Now here's an additional question:

Do you use your trek poles as tent poles as well? If so, do you always keep them with the tent until you're packing out your meat? Or do you just cut branches for tent poles so that you can have your trek poles with you?

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Black Diamond flick locks - sorry don't know their weight off hand, they are an older pair anyways.

I like to carry 1 with me while hunting - I don't use it while walking since I make noise with it, but do use it as a monopod for my binocs while glassing. Planning on getting a trekking pole supported tent next yr - I'll leave them with the shelter then.

7mag.

WKR
I won't go without them. Up hill it's like having handrails, and down hill it saves my knees, especially with a heavy load.

jherald

WKR
Black Dimond Ergo Corks flick-locks. Had Leki and switched to the flick-locks 3 years ago, dont know why i didnt just start with flick locks to begin with. No worry of any fault or slippage with them. Served me well on dozens of hunts now.

miller1

Lil-Rokslider
I just bought a pair of Easton carbon poles at dicks on clearance for $80, didn't realize how much they help till you use them on hills or uneven terrain.

KNOPHISH

FNG
I'm looking for some also. Are ski poles doable? or more of a pain by not collapsing.

Archelk

Lil-Rokslider
Always. I use Leki X-trek poles. not sure on the weight. Besides the obvious in what everyone else has posted for reason of use they also are used for my Henry Shires Stratospire tent. They have saved me a time or two on some steep downhills.

cleatus

FNG
Always. Use 1 for the super tarp and carry the other. I use the Easton carbon with cam locks

BigSky

WKR
I always carry them. I hardly ever use them going uphill; but, I almost always use them (at least one) when going down steep slopes.

Rizzy

WKR
Too much of an encumbrance for most of the areas I go. I still have the balance and agility of my youth.....we'll see what happens in the next few years :)

OP
Ironman8

Ironman8

WKR
Rizzy,

That's interesting you say that. I'm assuming you mean Idaho when you say "the areas you go", so is it too thick, brushy, ect? I talked to Elknut and he says he doesn't use them in ID either. Being that I'm going to ID Unit 39 this year, I was wondering if I should spend the money for them, or would it be more hassle?

Rizzy

WKR
On the trails, both Elk and hiking, the walking is usually pretty easy, and I don't see the benefit. Sometimes I pick up a branch and use it as sort of a walking stick/ binocular rest, but I will ditch it as soon as I start to go off trail or just get tired of dealing with it. Off trail it's usually to thick, rocky, and steep. In spots I'm always grasping onto shrubs and/or rocks in the steep stuff, or pushing branches out of the way in the thick stuff.

I think it's more of a personal preference rather than terrain driven. Some one who is used to using trekking poles would probably use them in the same terrain that I don't.

Also I have to mention that I have Chuckar hunted from my late teens to mid thirty's and I got really sure footed from that. Ever seen any Chuckar hunters with trekking poles :)

Which hunt are you doing in 39, there is varied terrain and weather, you can PM me if you want. I took a raghorn out of 39 during the rifle season last year. I didn't use poles or feel I needed them during the hunt. Packing meat out after the hunt I probably would have used them if I had them.