Points portfolio

It's time to start planning for the upcoming seasons. I'm trying to really get into buying points for multiple species in multiple states and was wondering what others portfolios look like. how do you keep it organized? Right now, i use a binder broken down into each state have interest in. I'm not sure this is my favorite way of organization. Which Is why I'm looking for others ideas. So far it looks like this.

WY.
Antelope-3
Elk-3
Deer-0(went hunting this year)

CO.
Muledeer-2
Elk-2

MT.
Sheep-1

IA.
Whitetail-1

bnsafe

WKR
sounds awesome, ive always wondered if it wouldnt be better to go through a cabelas tags type thing and let them front the money and keep track of your points etc. i dont do it cause ive only appled for elk in co, but if i was going to do that many states i prob would.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use Excel and keep it on a thumb drive so I can work on it at home & at work. I have a dedicated "hunting" thumb drive that not only has my points but also spreadsheets with units with key info, pictures from scouting trips and anything else that relates to hunting.

tstowater

WKR
I use Excel and keep it on a thumb drive so I can work on it at home & at work. I have a dedicated "hunting" thumb drive that not only has my points but also spreadsheets with units with key info, pictures from scouting trips and anything else that relates to hunting.

This would be a good way to do it. I keep a file for each state with relevant information. Since I use HF, I use their online resources for keeping track of points. You need something to make sure that you meet due dates as they may change from year to year. The longer you do it, the better you should get.

tstowater

WKR
sounds awesome, ive always wondered if it wouldnt be better to go through a cabelas tags type thing and let them front the money and keep track of your points etc. i dont do it cause ive only appled for elk in co, but if i was going to do that many states i prob would.

These kind of services aren't free. Might want to look at the total cost before commiting yourself to it and also whether you need to use one of their recommended guides if needed.

Kind of funny we all buy into the HF, huh? I use it as a resource, that's all. Been led wrong twice by them on two LE hunts. Funny how they continually shot big Elk and Mule Deer in units they don't post as favorites. They claim these are research units. Funny thing is they still don't make it to their favorites list the next year. For what they make on subscriptions it should be full disclosure. But, yes I still use them as a resource, but do some of my own.

I use excel to keep track of my points. I also try to keep notes. It's nice to have it in electronics form.

As far as using a service like Cabelas or HF to apply for you, that's gets pretty expensive. I think it is fun when I do it myself. It gives me something to do during the cold winter months.

tstowater

WKR
Kind of funny we all buy into the HF, huh? I use it as a resource, that's all. Been led wrong twice by them on two LE hunts. Funny how they continually shot big Elk and Mule Deer in units they don't post as favorites. They claim these are research units. Funny thing is they still don't make it to their favorites list the next year. For what they make on subscriptions it should be full disclosure. But, yes I still use them as a resource, but do some of my own.

I use excel to keep track of my points. I also try to keep notes. It's nice to have it in electronics form.

As far as using a service like Cabelas or HF to apply for you, that's gets pretty expensive. I think it is fun when I do it myself. It gives me something to do during the cold winter months.

Exactly my opinion. As I wrote elsewhere, they (HF, etal) are a resource only, not the gospel as they don't necessarily use it themselves unless they otherwise have access to tags for the recommended units. I would use Excel or a piece of paper if needed, but I got started on the HF program and stayed with it for no particular reason. I would have to brush up on my Excel skills if I wanted to use it.

Nosferatu

Lil-Rokslider
I have started using Evernote (www.evernote.com) to keep track of everything. I have separate folders for different species, notes on specific hunt units, etc. It's pretty much an electronic notebook, so the options are nearly endless.

I use HF and my own spreadsheet. Just signed up for Hunters Trailhead and they have some nice features for this as well.

I started out with Cabelas and they are by far the most expensive option. They also steer you towards units they have outfitters. This isn't be necessarily a bad thing, just something to keep in mind.

wapitibob

WKR
I dropped HF, there was no value to me.
I have a separate root folder, then have subs off it for Antelope and Elk, with state sub folders off that. I print all my reports to a pdf file and keep them in the appropriate folder. I do the same for all the states draw reports, regs, and stats. Most of my stuff goes back to 2004. I always print my apps and point totals from the web also.
I back everything up to an external usb drive.

tstowater

WKR
I dropped HF, there was no value to me.

Remember, not everyone has the time and/or ability to study multiple states (8-10) in detail to sort out a application structure. If you do, more power to you. The stories are generally pretty good and the state analysis should be used as a recommendation only. Yes, we are all jaded who have used it for any period of time. Also, outfitter recommendations may have an agenda also. As I don't have an infinite amount of time to study every state, I use it as a starting point. Could I live without it? Yes, but I choose to continue to subscribe. Sometimes nice to know where people are being steered to decide whether to choose a different approach.