Point weight vs insert weight… which is more beneficial?

Warmsy

WKR
I tuned my arrows with cheap aluminum Easton inserts, got the field point that shoots perfect tune with my bow, then mixed and matched iron will inserts, collar s, and broad heads that added up to the same weight. My big game broadhead is different weight than my turkey broadhead, which is different weight than my small game heads and blunts.

I have 3 different setups with 6 total different components and they all shoot lights-out.

Geytre88

FNG
Cutthroat 2 blade, they did require me to put forth more effort than shown by some others on youtube but got them scary sharp and you’re supporting a good business.

Wrench

WKR
I've got about every broadhead made.....but I REALLY like the simmons heads. They're cheap enough to shoot a lot, easy enough to get shaving sharp, don't rust as easily as the iron will or vpa, huge and fly great.

GLB

WKR
Keep in mind that it’s always cheaper to switch out inserts for weight/tuning than broadheads. So if you are invested already in a certain type of Broadhead that you like I would do all my changes with the inserts if possible. I also hot melt all my components to make those changes.

Tegr0429

Lil-Rokslider
I’m running the new Taipan arrows from safari tuff. 100gr insert and 150 grain head. 400 spine shaft tuned very good and it put my point on distance at 30 yards which is killer for where I hunt.

Wrench

WKR
Keep in mind that it’s always cheaper to switch out inserts for weight/tuning than broadheads. So if you are invested already in a certain type of Broadhead that you like I would do all my changes with the inserts if possible. I also hot melt all my components to make those changes.
I have a bunch of different weights that screw in the back of the insert for this exact scenario. If I run a footer and an insert that's close to the right weight, I can always heat a field point and pull the insert if using hot melt glue.

If you plan on stump shooting or grouse killing....I STRONGLY SUGGEST running a footer on your shaft and a short (1/8") ring at the nock.....you'll never break another shaft.

TX_Diver

WKR
I've been messing around with that with 200/50 and 150/100 and don't see much difference.

In my mind a smaller broadhead should tune a bit easier and be less susceptible to wind so I'm going with 150/100. In reality the difference is smaller than I can shoot so it's not a big deal. I have a bunch of 150 gr heads too which was another reason for going that way. Don't forget you can add weight to the back of some inserts.

I like the cutthroat heads and find the 3 blades extremely easy to sharpen (2 blades are easy to sharpen too but require a jig and some stones or sandpaper, while I can get the 3 blades shaving sharp with a file and ceramic rod.

ledflight

WKR
A couple seasons I had 275grains upfront and used -
175 head + 100 insert or 225 head + 50 insert
and they grouped at my range.
BUT as said above, heavier heads can be harder to replace.
Another year when shooting the 225 heads I left some behind on a hunt. No chance to grab a replacement at the local walmart etc. If you're shooting 125 heads, you might be able to grab an acceptable replacement locally should the need arise.

inyago

FNG
Within each Iron Will model "family", most versions use the exact same blade regardless of weight...the heavier versions have a heavier ferrule but the same blade. So if you've settled on IW, there's no sense in laboring over head weight vs. insert weight...cutting diameter and blade thickness will remain the same. Some manufacturers do increase the cutting diameter and/or blade thickness of their heavier models, but IW generally does not.

As I stated previously, I believe shifting weight between the head and insert doesn't really matter, but one could argue that it might make more sense to use a longer/stronger/heavier insert (and commensurately lighter head) to reinforce the front end of the arrow where bending/breaking is most likely to occur. I typically prefer to have my head + insert combo undershoot my desired total front weight then make up the difference with removable weight screws.
There is something wrong about what IW says about there dimensions. IF the steel thickness is the same and the dimensions are the same then you cannot double the weight and still have the same size broadhead, otherwise one is actually only shooting say a 125 gr head with a heavier ferrule and that is false advertising really,???.

Hnthrdr

WKR
There is something wrong about what IW says about there dimensions. IF the steel thickness is the same and the dimensions are the same then you cannot double the weight and still have the same size broadhead, otherwise one is actually only shooting say a 125 gr head with a heavier ferrule and that is false advertising really,???.
I’ve weighed them. They are very accurate to within a grn or 2. Different thickness of blade imagine, most use the same ferrule

There's nothing "false" or deceptive about altering the ferrule design to manipulate total broadhead weight. Below are IW's 6 standard thread S Series models with bleeders. All have the same advertised blade thickness (.062") and cutting diameter (1-1/16" main blade, 3/4" bleeder). The 125-225 gr models use the exact same main blade, and the 100 gr model has a slightly shorter main blade. The ferrule gets progressively longer to achieve heavier total weights, and I see nothing wrong with that. I would bet that most of the expense is in the blade, so using interchangeable blades as much as possible to reduce the number of high-value component variations/SKU's makes a lot of sense from a business/manufacturing perspective.
2024-06-11_09.39.01.jpg

Last edited: