Point on and Hold Overs

GLB

WKR
Working gaps with this ASL and Dougfir shafts. Got a pretty good tune with this setup. My PO is 25 yards (first pic) and for 30 yards (second pic) my hold over is about 12”. Doable for follow up shot.

I like my gaps to fit around deer size game. In this case 20 yards would be at bottom of the chest. 25 PO and 30 just above the back. Inside 20 it’s more instinctive for me.

I have shot better groups with this setup but these are a good representation of most.

I’ll have to do this with BHs to see if this holds true.

Attachments

• 317F8F29-E746-4B33-9B4B-43BA303E6788.jpeg
    317F8F29-E746-4B33-9B4B-43BA303E6788.jpeg
    561.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 1CC0CE80-EAB8-438A-A240-2AB1284E30A7.jpeg
    1CC0CE80-EAB8-438A-A240-2AB1284E30A7.jpeg
    490.1 KB · Views: 30

Beendare

WKR
Thats a great PO for close shots…your accuracy proves it.

Do you feel like shooting off the arrow like that ( close to your PO) is a confidence builder?

It seems to me, I don’t shoot as well with a big gap…even on close shots.

Reactions: GLB
OP
GLB

GLB

WKR
Thats a great PO for close shots…your accuracy proves it.

Do you feel like shooting off the arrow like that ( close to your PO) is a confidence builder?

It seems to me, I don’t shoot as well with a big gap…even on close shots.
Yes, having a PO at 25 yards works well for me. Gaps/sight picture are not very big and fits well at bowhunting ranges.

OP
GLB

GLB

WKR
I’m not a gap guy (consciously anyway), but that seems ideal to me for an ASL, or really any trad bow for that matter. Good shooting.
I use the term “gap” but it is really a sight picture. I’m aiming but it’s not a hard aim. Inside of 20 I don’t even really notice the arrow.

Beendare

WKR
I use the term “gap” but it is really a sight picture. I’m aiming but it’s not a hard aim. Inside of 20 I don’t even really notice the arrow.
Yeah, thats what I do too and shoot better that way.

If I do a hard aim off the tip of the arrow [I like your term] , I don't shoot as well as staring at the spot and letting my subconscious take over adjusting the gap.

bobinmi

WKR
Working gaps with this ASL and Dougfir shafts. Got a pretty good tune with this setup. My PO is 25 yards (first pic) and for 30 yards (second pic) my hold over is about 12”. Doable for follow up shot.

I like my gaps to fit around deer size game. In this case 20 yards would be at bottom of the chest. 25 PO and 30 just above the back. Inside 20 it’s more instinctive for me.

I have shot better groups with this setup but these are a good representation of most.

I’ll have to do this with BHs to see if this holds true.
I have a low anchor and would have to run a fixed crawl on almost any bow to acheive that. I've really debated puting the time in this summer to change my anchor to acheive this. i'd be real happy with your results.

Reactions: GLB
OP
GLB

GLB

WKR
I have a low anchor and would have to run a fixed crawl on almost any bow to acheive that. I've really debated puting the time in this summer to change my anchor to acheive this. i'd be real happy with your results.
I hear you on the change. I shot split finger for 25 years and decided 6 years ago to switch 3 under to raise my anchor and it’s made a big difference.