Podcasts, why do you listen

Why do you listen to podcasts?

• Information (cut the BS'ing out completely)

• Entertainment (could care less about information quality)

• Primarily information, but also entertainment (BS'ing is ok, but overall I want information)

• Prmarily entertainment, but also for information (BS'ing is great, just have something useful too)

• What's a podcast?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
So, I find outside of professional topics (medicine for me), most podcasts are annoying. This is because I want information, I don't want to listen too people bull shitting.

I think most people are after the entertainment value, so I'm curious on the pole.

I expected some differences in how things are defined by different people, so posting what podcast you listen to and how you would categorize them would be nice.

Some examples follow:

-S2H FF podcast are pure information. (Information)
-The Hunt Backcountry podcast and the V2Pnutrition podcast are predominantly information with little fluff. (Information>entertainment)
-The Hornady podcast has good information, but gets a bit fluffy at times. (Information ~ entertainment)
-The regular S2H podcast is pretty fluffy most of the time.(Entertainment>information)
-I cannot think of a pure fluff example, probably, because none make it on my play list. There are quite a few that I could not get through a single episode of.

TSAMP

WKR
I mirror the above. I am listening to learn.

The best podcast I've found that has my ideal format is Project Upland - On The Go.

short 15 min audible versions of their written pieces.

CorbLand

WKR
Sit a desk and look at a computer all day so I listen to a lot of podcasts. Cycle through books, podcast, music, movies, really anything mostly as background noise.

I listen to podcast for both information and entertainment. Kind of like movies, sometimes I want to learn and watch a documentary. Sometimes I want to laugh and Dumb and Dumber fits the bill.

Depends on the day and mood for me.

S2H, Hunt Backcountry, Huberman Lab, Tim Ferriss, Mindful Hunter, The Drive w/ Peter Attia, Non Prophet and Backpacking Light are all on the subscribed list. Occasionally others get a listen if the guest or topic interest me. Apple Airpods Pro are great for listening while working, traveling etc.

Information w/ some fluff is ok.

I listen to podcast for both information and entertainment. Kind of like movies, sometimes I want to learn and watch a documentary. Sometimes I want to laugh and Dumb and Dumber fits the bill.

This.

Jmoore

Lil-Rokslider
Info mostly. There are a few I enjoy and a couple bigger names, I tried but couldn't. Once they get to off topic with bs I'm out.

Poser

WKR
This can vary from subject to subject, but, ultimately, there is a great dependence upon the narrator's charisma and ability to convey information in an interesting and compelling manner.

Let's take history podcasts, for example. Dan Carlin take a no BS approach to interpreting history, dives right in and is careful to avoid interjecting too much of his own commentary, however, he loves the subject matter, is deeply knowledgeable and is absolutely passionate about the subjects he discusses. He's like the best college lecturer you never had.

I recently listened to 2 different podcasts covering the Battle of Stones River/Murfreesboro from the Civil War. One was straight facts, academic and relatively uncompelling. The other podcast went out of its way to bring the story alive with some commentary, interpretation and speculation.

I like a good story and, in many different types of podcasts, there is a focus on the art of the story which I appreciate. I do listen to some informational based podcasts because I'm interested in that information, but its not near as compelling, engaging, interesting or memorable. End of the day, you need at least one of the following:

-extremely privileged information
-the ability to tell a great story
-a compelling and unique perspective on events
-the ability to ask compelling questions and converse on those questions
-high level of charisma

Not a lot of folks posses extremely privileged, unique information even though they believe they do. So, most people are going to rely on one of the other attributes to make a compelling podcast.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I got other things to do
Not everyone's cup of tea but I think the vast majority of folks listening to podcasts ARE doing something else at the same time. Some folks like listening to music instead, some like silence. I think its a rare bird that sits down and literally just listens to a podcast while doing nothing else.

Sit a desk and look at a computer all day so I listen to a lot of podcasts. Cycle through books, podcast, music, movies, really anything mostly as background noise.

This...my office is on the 5th floor...podcast keep me from jumping out the window most days.

BuckRut

Lil-Rokslider
All of the above. I am a podcast junkie.

Top List
S2H
Mtn Tough
Rokcast
Big Hunt Guys
Mindful Hunter
Ripstop on the Record

Hunting or politics for me.

The new Tucker podcast with RFK Jr is legit.

The Tucker podcast with Casey and Calley Means (brother and sister) is absolute fire!!! I can’t recommend that one enough. If you have young children you should for sure listen to this one. TONS of information on the declining health in America and what is causing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TSAMP

WKR
Hunting or politics for me.

The new Tucker podcast with RFK Jr is legit.

The Tucker podcast with Casey and Calley Means (brother and sister) is absolute fire!!! I can’t recommend that one enough. If you have young children you should for sure listen to this one. TONS of information on the declining health in America and what is causing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How could you listen to that voice for any length of time, man it's brutal.

Podcasts are a lot like talk radio and I dislike talk radio in general. I do listen to podcasts but only on long boring drives or for entertainment during monotonous tasks such as painting.

tony

WKR
Why do I listen to podcasts

Because I hate pretty much all modern music.

I will drive in silence before I listen to Taylor swift, rap or bro country.

I have close to 500 CDs of 70- to now of rock, blues, jazz, metal that are pretty much useless because car makes think I don't need a CD player.
I can get heat in my steering wheel, make my gas and brake pedal move. But, I don't need a way to play good music.
Yeah it makes me cranky :p

TheHammer

WKR
Most days I work 13+ hrs. And I’m rarely being challenged. So I put something in my ear that I might gain a tid bit from to apply in my life. I am one who believes that what you put in your ears affects your mental, which is as important to what you put in your mouth affecting your body. So if all I listen to is hate-f*ck-kill music or 90s hip hop. I’m probably going to end up being someone completely different than who I am capable of becoming. I prefer podcasts as to music, especially 97% of the garbage being produced in todays world. Once in a while I’ll squeeze some brooks n Dunn or George strait in.