Plumber question - Basement wall water line penetration

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Another question for the brian trust. Is hydraulic cement used to maintain structural integrity of the wall? Why not use silicon and a hole just big enough for the pipe? Like 1 1/8"

I can't buy the fittings until Monday so plenty of time to ponder
If your line is 1", the OD is 1-1/8". go with min. 1.5" penetration, better yet 2". A two inch hole will not affect the integrity of the wall. While not necessary in your application, I have used fire block. I think Loctite makes it.

What tool do they use to bore say a 2" hole? I've got the normal stuff but no hammer drill or anything
I've drilled some 2" and 3" holes through concrete walls with a hammer drill and core bit. It's pretty easy if you don't hit rebar. If you do hit rebar, you can either relocate your hole and try again or switch to a bit designed to cut through rebar.

eoperator

WKR
If it was mine I would replace the bad section waterplug/hydraulic cement inside and out and go on with life. Don't make a mole hill into a mountain.

Erict

WKR
If I were you, I'd take good pictures of the fix before backfilling the hole. Can be valuable in the future but easy to forget to take them in the heat of a dirty project. Good luck.

If I were you, I'd take good pictures of the fix before backfilling the hole. Can be valuable in the future but easy to forget to take them in the heat of a dirty project. Good luck.
We started doing this on our own repairs and when contractors are making connections onto our system. It’s information that could be valuable and helps with inventory and paperwork after the project is finished. Plus you might find where a tool got buried in the backfill that you have been looking for for months.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
We started doing this on our own repairs and when contractors are making connections onto our system. It’s information that could be valuable and helps with inventory and paperwork after the project is finished. Plus you might find where a tool got buried in the backfill that you have been looking for for months.
I have never done a project without making photo documentation step by step. It has come in handy a few times and it takes no time to 31920.jpegResized_IMG_20190709_140549232_HDR.jpegResized_IMG_20190807_150408256.jpegdo. Before and after of one of our rentals.

OP
S

shader112

Lil-Rokslider
Man that would suck if I got it all finished and had that thought...wait, did I remember to...

Will definitely take some photos

GoatPackr

WKR
I don't like concrete in contact with carbon or copper pipe. I'd be curious why you have a carbon pipe going through that wall and underground. Why are they using carbon for potable water to begin with?
Good chance the entire line is rotting out if not just in the concrete wall.

Kris