Please do a valid Review on Swarovski NL

Sako300

WKR
You would think that the (supposed best optic in the world) would have had great reviews and comparisons with the other alpha binoculars close to specs. Hell, the Epic guys compared the old Swarovski SLC 15xs to the NLs. Meopta’s are clearer then those older SLCs! Come on guys! Has anyone compared any other Alpha glass to these? I’m talking other Swarovski, Leica, or Zeiss models. I will wait until this market scheme of supply and demand passes, and honest people do reviews. Every thing I’ve read or heard on Pod casts has been a sells pitch for these. I want to know if they can make out antlers in brush 1200-1500 yards out on a tripod way better then what we have out there now! Please give your honest review when they start arriving this week! Is the $3000-$3100 on a tripod worth what you will gain?

You would think that the (supposed best optic in the world) would have had great reviews and comparisons with the other alpha binoculars close to specs. Hell, the Epic guys compared the old Swarovski SLC 15xs to the NLs. Meopta’s are clearer then those older SLCs! Come on guys! Has anyone compared any other Alpha glass to these? I’m talking other Swarovski, Leica, or Zeiss models. I will wait until this market scheme of supply and demand passes, and honest people do reviews. Every thing I’ve read or heard on Pod casts has been a sells pitch for these. I want to know if they can make out antlers in brush 1200-1500 yards out on a tripod way better then what we have out there now! Please give your honest review when they start arriving this week! Is the $3000-$3100 on a tripod worth what you will gain?
Improvements usually are incremental and not revolutionary.

You could go from Vortex Diamondbacks ($219) to Swarovski NL ($2969). There will be a significant improvement in optical clarity with the NLs. However, the NLs will not be 13.55 times better (mirror the increase in price).

Rent a pair of NLs for a couple of weeks and take them for a spin. Make your own decision rather than blindly doing what others (who have their own agenda) suggest.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member

I am going to try my best as soon as I get them. Would you consider the EL SV a valid comparison standard?

I will try to leave the Fluff out.

OP
S

Sako300

WKR
I would! I guess the biggest thing for me is if they will outshine the Swarovski HD 15x56’s for longer range glassing, and detail when used on a tripod. And, how much additional light and minutes you will get early morning or late evening. I am interested in the 12xs at the moment. The EL swarovision would be great! As well, as the HD plus from Leica 12x50’s. I honestly think the way a person positions their eyes on the front ocular lens can Lead to good or poor field of view! Each person is different! I like the idea of renting them! Then I can see what my eyes tell me. Thankyou for that idea!

Ten Bears

WKR
I also would like to see them up against the current SLC 1556 and the El1250s. In the market for one of these 3 pair.

I think they only come in 8x42, 10x42, and 12x42, so you may not get to see them against SLC 15x56 or EL 12x50s for awhile.

OP
S

Sako300

WKR
Correct on the models, but their selling pitch is they have close to 20% more field of view compared to the 42mm models of other alpha glasses and closer to 10% more on 50 mm models. They are saying the larger field of view will allow more light and a more detailed view! I’m really interested on how the fellas will enjoy that head rest on those 28oz optics. I think I would accidentally break it fast!

PNWGATOR

WKR
I’ll bet the Rokstaff has a review in the works and I’ll guarantee it’s not a ‘fluff piece’. Objective, field proven reviews calling a spade a spade is one of the many attributes that make this place great.

twall13

WKR
Sounds like @Matt Cashell will be doing a review and if you've read any of his optics reviews in the past you know it won't be a fluff piece. I've always found his optics reviews to be some of the best out there. Very detailed, informative and unbiased. I'm looking forward to reading it after he gets some time with the NL's.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OP
S

Sako300

WKR
His review on the Meopta Meostar HD 15x56 and the Swarovski SLC (non hd) a few years back was a very informative and accurate review that had solid evidence to support it! I appreciate the staff here and am glad to have a great resource to study during these hard times! Thankyou

Block

WKR
Most everything has give and take,, lose something to gain something... according to everyone so far these NL sumhow gain advantage in size, weight, field of view, clarity, and comfort..without losing any advantage ? that’s pretty impressive...

I’m semi doubtful that they will show a “better” picture than the 15x56 at long distance but if they are even close,,, it’s a win overall for most people as it will eliminate the need to carry both 10x and 15x at once. I think that’s the BIG draw to these. It is for me at least, and the reason I have a pair on order!

Steve C

Lil-Rokslider
I would not hold my breath expecting huge overall image differences with the NL as compared to either the SLC or the SV EL. The technical innovations are 1- A much wider than normal field of view, 2- eye glass compatible eye relief, and 3-A somewhat different approach to flat field. Technically these are noteworthy innovations. WIde field and eye relief occurring in the same binocular in particular. The overall transmission is essentially the same as the other Swarovski products, the glass is technically the same as Swarovski already uses the highest quality glass they can buy. There may be some innovations in the way they apply the coatings, but these are probably not significant enough to notice difference in actual field use. So my bet would be if you can't count antler points to your satisfaction with an SV EL or SLC, then likely the NL won't be able to better that performance. You may well prefer the wider field, and the edges may seem better to you, but I have little confidence the on axis, center field views in the NL will be better enough to make a significant difference. The NL will likely be a superior product, but I doubt it will change your life..

They don't get into counting antler points, but these two items from Allbinos review site are at least interesting.
https://www.allbinos.com/index.php?t...tki&test_l=359
https://www.allbinos.com/index.php?art=179

Last edited:
OP
S

Sako300

WKR
Thankyou Steve! That was a good review! I think I’m sticking to my 10x50’s for a chest and tripod Bino. And also bringing the 15x HD Swarovski’s. Notice how many 12xs and 15x Swaro’s are being sold? Hopefully, the NLs benefit those guys!

I’m semi doubtful that they will show a “better” picture than the 15x56 at long distance but if they are even close,,, it’s a win overall for most people as it will eliminate the need to carry both 10x and 15x at once. I think that’s the BIG draw to these. It is for me at least, and the reason I have a pair on order!

There's a number of people that already use 12x50 ELs for this purpose. I don't see how 12s would match 15x SLC HD ability to resolve at distance. I see this as a lighter, wider FOV alternative to 12x50s or a wider FOV 10 or 8x option.

Block

WKR
There's a number of people that already use 12x50 ELs for this purpose. I don't see how 12s would match 15x SLC HD ability to resolve at distance. I see this as a lighter, wider FOV alternative to 12x50s or a wider FOV 10 or 8x option.

Yeah but **** carting 50s in ur chest

idcuda

WKR
The Exo guys talked about them a bit in a recent podcast. They were used during a recent sheep hunt and it sounds like they're great - and that was the 8x version. Not a full review, though.