Platypus Big Zip style change

Ray

WKR
While loitering in my local REI store I noticed some platypus hydration systems in the clearance bins. There were several sizes and I picked up a 3L Big Zip SP for about $12 off. Curious as to why this perfectly good item was in the clearance bin I meandered over to the water bag section and found the other Big Zip items.

It appears that Platypus has changed their Big Zip system to be wider and flatter to lessen the profile while in a pack. They call it the LP now for low profile. It may be too wide to easily slip down into a hydration bag sleeve in any of my current packs.

I doubt if other stores would so quickly pasture their gear like REI does, but if you have a local REI you may want to check the clearance bin out.

colonel00

WKR
Interesting. The REI store here is fairly new and I have only been in a couple times. Never even noticed a clearance section but I will have to swing by and check.

OP
Ray

Ray

WKR
Keep in mind that the clearance bin is different than the Attic. Newer stores may not have an Attic area. The Attic is for returned merch that has been repaired (or not) and is being resold with the condition noted. Look for just one red sign with white letters saying "clearance". Up here it usually contains the last two or three items in stock, old versions of gear, or discontinued items. It can be quite a pile of stuff to sort through. There usually is one in the clothing area as well.

Also keep an eye out for clothing or hanging gear that has a red pen slash through the price mark and a hand written price that ends in an odd number like .93 or .89. I don't know if all REI stores do it this way, but our local one has been doing it this way for as long as I can recall. Only some things get a new sticker.

colonel00

WKR
Yeah, I did find some Exofficio boxer briefs for $12 the other day. They were the blue "marine" color but they were with the rest of the stuff on the normal racks that was regular price. I will have to check it out.

colonel00

WKR
FWIW, found them on sale here too. 3L for $25

3epu3y8u.jpg

Same price in Missoula store. Looks like the new one is similar to the Camelbak antedote in size and shape when filled