Plant ID in Yard and Herbicide

fishdart

Lil-Rokslider
It appears to be a type of spurge to my eyes.does it appears to radiate out from a central Taproot? Mostly prostrate along the ground?

MTtrout

WKR
I agree with above, vetch is what it looks like to me per that photo. It’s part of the legume family. Can’t say I’ve ever seen it in well established grass though where I live

IDVortex

WKR
Id assume a 4way herbicide would work to get rid of it. I'd get some urea and put the herbicide down with some urea as a foliar application.

OP
D

DroptineDC18

Lil-Rokslider
It appears to be a type of spurge to my eyes.does it appears to radiate out from a central Taproot? Mostly prostrate along the ground?
After looking at pictures of spurge I don’t think this is it. Leaning toward vetch. I’ll look into a 4 way herbicide.

OP
D

DroptineDC18

Lil-Rokslider
I haven’t noticed flowers yet. If I recall from last year they may have had a yellow flower? Attaching another picture of a plant I plucked out of the ground.

Attachments

• IMG_6830.jpeg
    IMG_6830.jpeg
    718 KB · Views: 39

IDVortex

WKR
Oh, to add to my response. The reason you use UREA which is 46% nitrogen and do it in a foliar application is that the nitrogen will help make the plant absorbe the herbicides, which will be more potent then applying it without it. Though unless you're going to water it is, you only want .2 pounds of urea per 1k sqft.

Last edited:
Do you remember what color the flowers were last year? There is a weed that I have had that looks similar and has yellow flowers. It has been pretty stubborn at dying. If it is crown vetch I would get a handle on it quickly, it can spread fast and has a strong root system. They use to use it for bank stabilization along interstates.

OP
D

DroptineDC18

Lil-Rokslider
I’m not sure in the color as I keep it mowed. It sure looks like purple crown vetch though. I’ll be spraying tomorrow.