Pizza oven

Fire power

Lil-Rokslider
I'm 'on the fence' for a proper pizza oven for years now, and am still hung between a full blown wood fired stone oven and something like the Ooni...
High even heat is IMHO far more important than having to turn the pizza around...as mentioned you'll need to work with the peel anyway.

A brick and mortar oven is not exactly portable and in your face in a garden, and since our new house will not havea large garden I'm going to give the Ooni a try this summer since my electric "ferrari 3G" is not capable of anything close to 400+ Celsius

WBT

FNG
Very happy with my gas fired Ooni. My recommendation for any pizza oven is go big. It’s difficult, at least for me, to make a perfectly round pizza and then spin it around so it cooks perfectly. A bigger oven gives you a lot more room to work with. I have a 16” wide model and I end up being able to comfortably make 12-13” pizzas in it.

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
My neighbor swears by his Green Mountain pellet smoker for pizza. It has a specific pizza stone that goes on the firebox directly. I don't have one, but would consider it if starting over. Otherwise, I'm looking at the Ooni as well.

I use both the Gozney Dome and Roccbox for personal and catering. Would recommend the dome for a more versatile piece of equipment. After I got the Dome, mainly use Roccbox for camping.

Rob5589

WKR
We have an Ooni 12". Works well but there's definitely some technique to using a pizza oven. I've made all kinds of dough combos and finally settled on one. It would be great to start out on but I'd recommend a 16".

Not gas fired but I have the pizza oven insert for the Green Mountain smoker. I cooked around 15 pizzas last night for my daughter's birthday party.

You're probably close in price if you buy a used Green Mountain and a new pizza oven compared to the large Ooni.

Rob5589

WKR
Another thought is making pies on your bbq. You can buy a stone or steel to put on the grill. I did it before the Ooni and it worked pretty well.

gbflyer

WKR
We have the Cuisinart one. It needs the insulated cover but it works great. Also doubles as a small barbecue. Pizza every Friday at our place. Better than anything we can get locally.

Rob5589

WKR
Does anyone have a good recipe for the thin crust? We can’t get it to roll out thin/evenly.
My go to recipe is 75/15 00 flour to fine semolina, 60% hydration, .5% yeast, 3% salt. I make it up in the morning, let it proof over night on counter until about 6 hours before baking then break it into balls of desired size for final proof. I hand stretch using semolina and let them sit for 15 or so minutes until assembling. Makes a great crust.

Does anyone have a good recipe for the thin crust? We can’t get it to roll out thin/evenly.
2 cups flour, 1/2 tsp salt in mixing bowl. Add 1-1/2 tbs yeast and 1/2 tsp sugar to 1 cup warm water. Wait 10 min for yeast to start doing its thing. Mix together and set out foe a few hours.

I grab a baseball size all of dough and roll thin.

OP
J

Jmort1754

WKR
We have the Cuisinart one. It needs the insulated cover but it works great. Also doubles as a small barbecue. Pizza every Friday at our place. Better than anything we can get locally.
That's our problem. Nothing local has food pizza and I'm over trying to find it

Gutshotem

WKR
I was finally getting the hang of making them on my BGE and my wife went and got me an Ooni last year. Very happy with the Ooni and would again.

imw001

FNG
I have a Gozney Roccbox - and I greatly enjoy it. It works great, and I’ve done some pretty nice pies so far.

I don’t know if I’d recommend a pizza oven if you’re not going to really get into it - since there is a learning curve involved. A stone that goes on top of a grill is a good place to start, as it will be more forgiving.