Pizza oven

AdamLewis

FNG
I have a Margherita from Fontana Forni. It isn't portable like an Ooni, but it sits on top of a cart and can be wheeled around. With the stone floor pulled out I can pick it up off the cart to put it in the back of a truck, but that would be better done with 2 people just due to its size.

Right now it is hooked up to natural gas but came with the parts for propane as well, and the cart has a cutout for a 20 LB tank to sit into. I have also burned wood in it and it does fine, just have to cover the burner so it doesn't get covered with ash.

MudBugVa

FNG
I have a woodfire ooni and I love it. Gives the pizza a slight smokey flavor. I imagine a larger gas ooni would be great and a bit more convenient.

Zerk

Lil-Rokslider
When cooking a pizza, I am usually hungry and want something now. I love pizza, but I also want it quick usually.

Rob5589

WKR
We have that Ooni Koda 12 we got as a gift ….meh

Its alright, small, takes a ling time to heat up( about 20 min) hard to clean.

knowing what I know now I would just buy a pizza stone and cook them on my barbecue
That's what we have. Any good stone needs a long heat soak especially if doing multiple pies. I heat mine for 30 mins before baking. I will wait a few extra mins after the 2nd pie before a third to make sure the deck is 800 or so degrees. Too cool and it won't cook the bottom very well.

Rob5589

WKR
Get away from using the AP flour. I've been using the Anna Tipo "00". Just follow the instructions on the bag and you can roll it paper thin if you'd like.
100%. Caputo 00 pizzeria flour is what I use, Caputo semolina and yeast as well. All available from Amazon or more specialty stocked grocery stores.

Tberg

Lil-Rokslider
After ~20 years of tinkering with ceramic stones, ovens, grills, gas, wood, and charcoal I have settled on using a Cast iron Speed Steel from NerdChef. In the oven under a high broiler a pizza is done in about 3.5 minutes. On my gas grill it's about 6 min and I can add a little wood to get the authentic fired taste. It even works on a Weber with charcoal and wood mix set up for indirect cooking. I've had it ~6 years now and see no reason to use anything else. It just stays in the oven when not in use, makes a good heat sink. And their only $60

mi650

WKR
Another thought is making pies on your bbq. You can buy a stone or steel to put on the grill. I did it before the Ooni and it worked pretty well.
I have a stone for my Weber charcoal grill.

Sent my wife to buy it, told her to get a Weber stone, she bought an off-brand. It exploded on the 1st use. She learned a lesson about buy once, cry once that day, went back and got the Weber. :ROFLMAO:

Rob5589

WKR
I have a stone for my Weber charcoal grill.

Sent my wife to buy it, told her to get a Weber stone, she bought an off-brand. It exploded on the 1st use. She learned a lesson about buy once, cry once that day, went back and got the Weber. :ROFLMAO:
I may be guilty of over heating a stone once and blowing it up...

Cady Creek

Lil-Rokslider
No experience with the gas version, but Ooni seems to be a popular option in both gas and wood fired. I went with a comparable, but less expensive version. Mimiuo Wood fired and have been extremely happy with it after a months use.

Team4LongGun

Super Moderator
Staff member
Any feedback on the Solo Pi model? I can get a decent discount, but reviews are hard to find (that don't seem paid for)
Thanks

ndbuck09

WKR
bumping this thread up to see if anyone has any experience with the Solo Pi pizza oven? Looking at it as a gift for Christmas.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
I was finally getting the hang of making them on my BGE and my wife went and got me an Ooni last year. Very happy with the Ooni and would again.
Funny, we sound like we have the same wife, at least like thinking. Was doing pizza on my BGE and she bought me a wood fired Ooni. Both make fantastic pies.

vanhoorn

FNG
Like several other posts, I have an Ooni Koda 12 propane fired pizza oven. I really like it and find it pretty easy to use. I think the pies I get out of it are pretty comparable to pies I’ve had in Italy.

Their app also has a pretty good dough recipe builder that I’ve had success with. I normally use tipo 00 flour but Ive also used AP flour in a pinch with success.