Pizza Crumb Hunters? Non serious, sarcastic post warning

87TT

WKR
I got a forty year old 30 06, flip phone and Granpa’s knife. Cold pizza is just jerky.

OP
B

Billinsd

WKR
I don't think gear has anything to do with the skill of a hunter.

Gear just makes said hunter more comfortable weather they be good or bad.

Someone thats knowable about and area, animal behavior and is tough will out hunt most everyone.
Absolutely! Gear can help you become more successful. Better skilled no, maybe less skilled. The more I rely on gear and gadgets the less skilled I think I get, if the gadgets are a crutch. Me, living in the suburbs, am handicapped not knowing areas well, not having as much time in the field. I also move around a lot in states and in different states, which makes me less successful, but I enjoy it! To me some gear helps me bridge areas I’m weak in. OnX is one of them for new areas. I do know how to read maps and use a compass really well. The most expensive optics help me find game a bit better. Clothing gear makes me more comfortable. Great gear is more useful for a lesser out of state hunter than a good local hunter with the lessor gear. The good local hunter with lessor gear will be more successful than the lessor out of state hunter with great gear.

Last edited:
OP
B

Billinsd

WKR
I got a forty year old 30 06, flip phone and Granpa’s knife. Cold pizza is just jerky.
And you are probably a really successful hunter? You are probably local too? 30-06 is a fine gun, I started at 15 with my dad’s old 30-06, 46 years ago with open sights and killed my first mule deer in Colorado. I bought my own 30-06, 25 years ago and it was fine. I bought a 7mm REM mag 15 years ago, because it shoots a bit flatter. I recently bought a 6.5 Creedmoor for grins and lower recoil.

Last edited:
Casey's pepperoni pizza for me. Enough grease on that thing that there are no crumbs
Dude.... Anytime I travel east and cross the Nebraska or Kansas state line Casey's is the first stop I make and the people at the counter look at me like I'm trying to commit suicide with pizza and fritters. It is sooo good. In a gross way

Killed my first two bulls with a 15 year old Mathews LX and a 30-06. I joined this site, "upgraded" to a VXR and a wildcat cartridge, and haven't killed an elk since. I need to get my priorities straight with more scouting, pizza, beer, and recoil 😂

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Consuelos home style Mexican food. Pork chili verde burrito is a must before and after hunt. I sometimes get extras for later.

wapitibob

WKR
I've killed more archery Bulls wearing Lee 88's and a Bob Fratzke sweater than I ever will wearing my sitka, but the "new" technical gear was a fantastic change and I won't be going back.

Hunting is the most expensive / rewarding / frustrating hobby. Have both brushed off crumbs and had newer kit at one time or another. Everybody can have their own approach and is welcome out in the mountains as you’re 15 miles from me.

I typically arrive late to the parking area and take a hangover pizza/beer $hit next the driver's side door of the truck in the parking lot with the most stickers on his back windshield.

WCB

WKR
I am definitely not the "latest and greatest type" while me and my buddies look like team Sitka throw up....holding each others pockets. I have a mix up "high end" gear and non "technical" outdoor gear that works just as good. And hunt to hunt it changes.

Also, if there is any driving to be done on the way to a morning hunt and there is a gas station...sketchy heat lamp food is 100% happening and sometimes after evening hunts I've gotten free heat lamp meals because they were getting thrown away anyways.

MN deer season I've definitely been eating gas station breakfast pizza literally walking into my stand in my insulated wranglers, Carhartt hoody, on my shoulder is a 20ga 870 topped with Redfield scope I've had for 26 years, while my waist pack has a thermos of hot coca, bottle of MT DEW, and a bunch of trash food for the days sit (that I eat by 9am). 2 weeks later or before I could be in the mountains living/hunting out of a backpack miles in with all my "high end" gear and light weight everything and be completely dialed in gear wise. Still don't look like a walking billboard for any brand.

TaperPin

WKR
In many parts of the west, local dudes in blue jeans or Carhartts who sleep in their own beds, get up at 4:00, eat pancakes and bacon, drive out and put the smack down on more antelope, mulies or elk than the out of area guys camped out with the latest camo patterns.

:)

The pizza crumb version of hunting is certainly far less stressful.
As I've gotten older I've learned to not take it so seriously, and
focus more on just having a good time.

Killed my first two bulls with a 15 year old Mathews LX and a 30-06. I joined this site, "upgraded" to a VXR and a wildcat cartridge, and haven't killed an elk since. I need to get my priorities straight with more scouting, pizza, beer, and recoil 😂

Did you arrow them first and then use the rifle? Or rifle first, and then arrow?

And why did you use both? Regulations?

P