Pistol carry for women backcountry hunting, backpacking, and living in the field

TheGDog

WKR
Well, when I'm on sits with the predator seat cushion, and have the rifle on a tripod... I do have to make sure to shove my Razco holster which just hangs underneath the Marsupial Bino Harness a little more over towards the midline of my body to try to get the back-end edge of the pistol away from where the buttstock of the rifle will go down beside my body and past my hip.

Something you might want to contemplate when making all these decisions on where to carry. If you can avoid the two items knocking together into each other, of course that's optimal.

It's usually only an issue when seated or crouched down, the pistol in it's center-chest position occasionally wanting to knock into the rifle's buttstock.

Just mentioning this because it sounded like you'd do a setup for your hipbelt, then xfer it over to your pants waistline. So if it's on the waistline, I just got to thinking the two of them wanting to bonk on each other would probably even be more pronounced for a person wearing on a side of the waistline like that.

I'd highly recommend some kind of center chest option if you can swing it. With my lowerback issues it does not like having a weight of any kind hanging on one side of the waistline/waistbelt. That was why I had to stop using the Kifaru Gun-bearer. Cause even though it's a pretty cool design... that one-sided tug on the waistline, was causing all kindsa grief/inflammation to that area of injury. I just mention this because one day we'll all get there, so ya figure the later the better. So ya figure something centered w/ weight divided among both shoulders like that would be optimal in the long-run, in terms of not contributing to soreness like that. Just something to consider.

Byobsob

FNG
Plus 1 for Diamond D holsters - Guide model - it offsets slightly off center of chest and can add an addition 2 mag carry - worth checking out

OP
W
We use these I'm our seek packs.

This goes in the belt with one of the female adapters from below

With two female adapters from this kit and one male, you can leave the MOLLE fork on your pack. The other female adapter can go on a belt slide or paddle or wherever (we have one on our kid's jogging stroller) and you can move your holster back and forth easy.

The drawback. I see with the holster you linked is there is no retention. If I'm sliding slopes and hoping logs I'd trust my life to safariland's ALS to keep my pistol on me rather than getting hooked and pulled out.
Unfortunately, I gave safariland a call and they do not have holsters that fit my gun. Any other highly recommended brand that is lightweight and versatile?

Rick M.

WKR
The belly band style may work for you.

IMG_3080__21877.1581048189.jpg

id_jon

WKR
plus 1 for the QLS system. Depending on your budget and how long you're willing to wait, custom kydex holsters are a good option. There's a lot of custom holsters out there, I'm waiting on one from https://www.redballoonind.com/. Will be cordura wrapped, with light bearing and level 2 retention

slick

WKR
Rick, I don't think that will work for 1 the size of the pistol she is carrying and 2 the physical activity required for the work she is likely doing.

I'd recommend getting a kydex holster made for your specific firearm. There are plenty of people/shops that will make them for various firearms.

Your Seek pack's waist belt should be able to accommodate a 2" webbing loop on most holsters, albeit potentially sloppy. I'm sure you could find someone that would make two 1" webbing loops specifically for your Seek waist belt, just provide them the measurements.

Take a look at what Stone Glacier pack users are utilizing. If you do go that route (kydex) I would recommend they fully enclose the bottom of the holster, that way if you sit down to glass, do a veg survey or capture neonates your barrel will be protected from obstructions.

Edit to add: The waistbelts on modern packs are easy to pull holsters/belt pouches off of rather quickly. You could always order two and keep one in the lid of your pack so that if you took your pack off you could quickly throw the other holster on your belt loop.

OP
W
Rick, I don't think that will work for 1 the size of the pistol she is carrying and 2 the physical activity required for the work she is likely doing.

I'd recommend getting a kydex holster made for your specific firearm. There are plenty of people/shops that will make them for various firearms.

Your Seek pack's waist belt should be able to accommodate a 2" webbing loop on most holsters, albeit potentially sloppy. I'm sure you could find someone that would make two 1" webbing loops specifically for your Seek waist belt, just provide them the measurements.

Take a look at what Stone Glacier pack users are utilizing. If you do go that route (kydex) I would recommend they fully enclose the bottom of the holster, that way if you sit down to glass, do a veg survey or capture neonates your barrel will be protected from obstructions.

Edit to add: The waistbelts on modern packs are easy to pull holsters/belt pouches off of rather quickly. You could always order two and keep one in the lid of your pack so that if you took your pack off you could quickly throw the other holster on your belt loop.
Thanks @slick ! It is like you know me, hah! I will be using it around veg surveys, necropsies, neonate capture, glassing during hunts, etc. I will take a look at what you recommended to me.

TheGDog

WKR
Not sure who is the manufacturer... but.. I've seen a several manufacturers holsters where the holster mounts onto a mounting plate with a system of studs and special holes those studs go into then you rocker it over and the holster locks into place in that mounting plate. (You can go nuts with different angles you want the plate to hold the holster at, etc)

So in that instance you'd have a mount with this plate do-hicky that you'd wear on you... then when you drop the pack, you'd reach-down and un-rocker-it off the mounting plate thing... then transfer it over to the one you're wearing on your body somewhere.

sndmn11

WKR
Unfortunately, I gave safariland a call and they do not have holsters that fit my gun. Any other highly recommended brand that is lightweight and versatile?
That's a bummer. I can't find your xdm elite compact osp 10mm on Blackhawk's list either.

At this point I would call Sheryl and see if they can match their mount holes to a safariland QLS (that you will send them) since they have some thumb-break models. https://www.giholsters.com/category-s/342.htm
Probably one of the nicer people you might talk to who you will never meet.

Sorry we are doing the big fail at helping.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Wife uses a Diamond D chest holster or a small Hill People Gear chest pack depending on what and where she is carrying.

OP
W
That's a bummer. I can't find your xdm elite compact osp 10mm on Blackhawk's list either.

At this point I would call Sheryl and see if they can match their mount holes to a safariland QLS (that you will send them) since they have some thumb-break models. https://www.giholsters.com/category-s/342.htm
Probably one of the nicer people you might talk to who you will never meet.

Sorry we are doing the big fail at helping.
I will try giving Sheryl a call to see what they can do! I called we the people hostlers and they have something that could work (https://wethepeopleholsters.com/pro...-8-compact-owb-holster?variant=19710131109986), the description matches but only for a 9, .40, and .45. They mentioned there is a year long warranty/use period so if it does not fit then I can get my money back. Your suggestion seems better suited for how I would be using it, but I may give this a try if your suggestions fall through for fit. Also, y'all have been fantastic help! I really appreciate all the time and suggestions y'all have thrown my way.

Last edited:

Bluesky

FNG
Razcogear.com helped me out and made a nice small profile owb hip holster with adjustable rake angle. My wife carries a SP101 .357. Loves it. And not just because it's purple 🙄

Once upon a time I used to work in the backcountry. Due to the amount of gear I was required to carry, I generally just suffered through wearing a traditional duty belt. However, I came across an option that might be workable and economical for you. You wear it like a bandoleer over the shoulder, then it velcros to your waist or hip belt. Might not be the most secure option for extreme use, as the back/belt straps secure with velcro. However, I think you could cheaply and easily modify this with a couple snaps to secure. I think it's designed to be worn crossdraw and offset from centerline of chest. But since it's so stupid-simple, you could probably wear it support-side under the shoulder, or even strong-side (non-crossdraw configuration). This thing goes on and off quick and easy. It can flop around some. I imagine wearing it under your bino pack would reduce the chance of this and be the most secure. But due to it's design and simplicity, you may find that it can be quickly thrown over your bino pack in a pinch. I want to try it for concealed carry on my motorcycle. Also, thigh rigs suck for BC work...don't do it. Hope this helps someone.

Last edited:

cuttingedge

Lil-Rokslider
Even though you said you didn't want to add a chest holster, I think you should consider the Gunfighters Kenai. I wear it underneath my bino harness, and don't find it uncomfortable. I've tried leg holsters, backpack holsters, and belt holsters, and found the Kenai to be the most comfortable of the bunch. Also, when you drop your pack, you didn't also drop your firearm.
Absolutely the best field carry option I have found. It is lightweight, pretty rugged, and does not get in the way even when bowhunting. And most importantly, my 10mm is very quickly accessible.

A sidearm will do you absolutely no good if you can't access it immediately, which would rule out a backpack holster for me.

The Kenai is king as far as I'm concerned. I would rather carry compact binos and be able to get at the peacemaker than carry bigger binos to use as a very short club.

Blowdowner

Lil-Rokslider
I am limited on the backpacking/ hunt packs that fit me properly (a thread for another time). Currently, my hunt and backpacking pack is a men's Thule 50L (pack from 2016). It has limited attachment options as compared to a Kifaru.
I think your best bet will be a very high waist gun belt with the holster directly at 12 o clock or a tiny bit off center toward your dominant hand. This way your pack belt can sit low and you will have a very short reach to the weapon.

TheGDog

WKR
Having the weight of your gun, upon your hip belt, will do your lower back NO FAVORS. I'm only aware of these things now because of my multiple lumbar discs that bulge. If for no other reason than that alone... for the backcountry... you need to do center chest.

I found I can't even do the Kifaru Gun-Bearer for that same reason, that lil bit of not-centered pull and tug upon the waistbelt... your back does not like it. Most of the time you don't realize it because, well, you've all probably got normal healthy backs that don't yet have the outward symptoms that develop over time.

My point being you want to stop that from being a thing even before you begin. So please, I urge you, to consider center chest, either separately or hangin under your bino harness. It's just point blank the best setup for being out and about in the backcountry.

dla

WKR
Hey y'all,

Thanks so much for all the responses and sorry for the delay! I have some great news that I was FINALLY able to find a hunt pack that properly fits my back! So this also helped me narrow down some carry options.

Since the Seek Outside packs have webbing on the waist belt I am leaning towards the https://www.ivoryholsters.com/product/emg-pack-holster/ or a paddle holster. It would be ideal to have the option to move the pistol to clip on my pants waist belt and move back to the packs hipbelt. Has anyone used paddle holsters or this ivory system in this manner? The only issue I see that I could run into is the fact that most women jeans and field pants have small belt loops which only allow for "dainty" belts. So I would prefer to not attach my pistol to my belt but instead attach to my actual pants.

I also am planning on buying a Kenai chest holster for the times I am not hunting and don't have my bino harness attached to my chest.
I used to do this but with a 329pd revolver. I mounted a cheap top flap holster to the pack hip belt with military surplus pouch clips. I could move from pack to me as needed.
If I were in your situation, I would use two holsters. A cheap top flap mounted to the pack and then a cheap paddle for you. I used AMS for the top flap, but good grief their prices have gone up. For autos, I use $20 Tege and $35 Fobus. Polymer holsters weigh nothing.

Don't get all worked up about draw speed, it is a tertiary concern at best. Practice, but don't go for a chest holster because forum pistoleros have nightmares of platoons of Ninja Grizzlies.
IMHO of course.