Pioneer X-stream, SOAR Pro-Pioneer, and similar rafts

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Wandering who has used the Pioneer X-stream by @Larry Bartlett or similar. Between the Pro Pioneer and the X-stream I'm heavily inclined towards the X-stream due to the weight, load capacity, and floor design.

I want an Alpacka Forager, but having 2 small children I think I would get more use from the X-stream for the next several years. So, while I will probably end up with both, it will not be in the same year just because of finances. I know the two ate very different, but want to check my assumptions on the differences.

So, any other designs I should consider? Anyone with experience using the Pioneer X-stream? How is it for someone going solo?

Anyone have any feedback for how the Forager would handle two adults and two kids? I'm assuming the Forager would not handle two adults and a moose.

I'm also assuming the X-stream will be more stable than the Forager as well as being dryer for passengers.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’ve never used a pioneer stream but I’ve used them hell out of a pr49 and a legend. I also recently got a forager but havn’t used it yet. I sort of have mixed feelings on the forager.

Seems like the inflatable floor and the fact that the drivers seat is just on the inflated stern of the boat are going to make it very different than the pr49 I’m used to. I’d be really curious to see how guys handle a loose with a forager.

Hauling a moose out with pr49s and legends is easy because of those cargo slings, those also make arranging gear easy. On the forager, I guess you really need to use the cargo fly which I nice because it keeps stuff stowed away but it also sucks because you have to deflate the boat to get to your stuff every day. Filling up that big boat with the inflation bag is a chore in itself.

I also have an alpacka mule and a scout but those are smaller boats than what you are looking for.

CodyAK

Lil-Rokslider
I haven’t used my X-stream solo with the row kit but I’ve had it on a slough and got the job done. I got my row kit a little late in the year to give it a rip. I would assume with a load, it would handle a lot better solo. If you want to take the kids out on it, go for the X-stream first. With my better half and my son, we had plenty of room.

A buddy in Anchorage with kids has the same boat and has taken it out for day trips with no issues.

My buddy uses his legend alot. I have only used it in the ocean with him worked great to haul 5 guys duck hunting gear and a dog. The things can hold a ton of weight.
05e746f44d48fa5ba746cbf3b6f6066c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I'm debating between the Legend and the Pioneer X-stream.

Advantage of the X-stream is it is bigger and will haul more (2 people and a moose, Etc). The advantage of the Legend is it is smaller and easier to maneuver.

With the X-stream I'm guessing I would need a rowing kit if using it solo. It sounds like I could get away with a kayak paddle in the Legend.

@thinhorn_AK and @Larry Bartlett any input?

I want both, but at the moment have to pick one. As my oldest is only 4, I should be able to get several years of comfortable use out of the Legend before it is too small to haul the whole family.

Macro

Lil-Rokslider
The Pioneer X-stream and Pro Pioneer are close to the same size when rolled up. The Pioneer X-stream can be rolled up with or without the floor. With the floor out, it rolls up to a wad about 21" tall X 20" wide X 15" deep. The floor is 6" wide x by 21" long.

If rolled together, it adds about 4" to the width and depth.

The warmer the temperatures the smaller you can roll the PVC, whereas hypalon rolls are fairly consistent regardless of temps.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I'm debating between the Legend and the Pioneer X-stream.
Advantage of the X-stream is it is bigger and will haul more (2 people and a moose, Etc). The advantage of the Legend is it is smaller and easier to maneuver.

With the X-stream I'm guessing I would need a rowing kit if using it solo. It sounds like I could get away with a kayak paddle in the Legend.

@thinhorn_AK and @Larry Bartlett any input?

I want both, but at the moment have to pick one. As my oldest is only 4, I should be able to get several years of comfortable use out of the Legend before it is too small to haul the whole family.
I've never tried a pioneer xtream (Id like to though). I have used a legend a good bit including floating a moose down a creek last September. The pioneer xtream seems almost like a full size raft, I think you need oars for it right? the Legend can be paddled with a 240cm kayak paddle just fine. I'm not sure if thats important to you or not. I think with a moose, the legend is a one man kayak but a 4 year old could easily fit.

Ive found that the legend handles well with one guy and a full bull + gear, I've used the legend and a PR49 for moose but with a PR49, you need 2 boats. LEgend would be a solid choice for taking a kid or partner on camping and fishing trips but once its loaded with a bull, I dont know about another dude on it for any real length of time or serious water.

Last edited:

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Marbles I think these guys have given great input already.

I like the Legend for 2 people and 1 kid and a couple of corgi's and gear...or 2 people and caribou...or 1 person plus 700-lbs of gear/meat. I like it without a row kit for most applications for simplicity and maneuverability. The oars are overkill for most loads. Women and men are not that different from a paddling leverage perspective and I've observed women learning to handle heavier cargo loads with a paddle without any concerns. We all sort of learn what the craft feels like and acts like as we spend miles with the boat.

You can learn to handle the Pioneer with just one canoe paddle, even with larger loads like 2 adults, 2 kids, 2 dogs plus gear but it takes miles!

If I had to buy one that fits many family and hunting scenarios, I'd opt for the Legend without row kit to start. Work your way up to 500-700 lbs without oars, then if you decide "maybe you need the leverage" you can try the same loads with row kit. From there if you outgrow the boat (or add another young'on) upgrade to a Pioneer and you'll already feel confident in the design and won't even notice the extra 3.6' of boat IMO.

Hope this helps.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Kwack-n-crew...you guys are Legends in my mind regardless of what boat y'all are in! DANG that photo makes me giggle every time i see it!

It was pretty hilarious. It was about a 5 mile ride from where we were camping to where we needed to hunt. The night before we were all saying its going to suck because we will have to make 2 trips. Well when we were loading up we all just jumped in and made it in 1 trip. after thinking about it its the pioneer.

Last edited: