Pin allowance/ margin for error

Bowtie747

FNG
Anyone tests their bows and their pins for their margin of error in the pin? I have no idea if I’m working this right.

Meaning if you shoot a deer for 20 yards and he’s actually 24 yards what’s your extra drop?

Only this varies a ton but I one, challenge you to find this information out for yourself but I want to know what those of you who have done this. What were your results?

68lbs 28.5” draw and a 560 grain arrow. I wanted one pin to 25.

So I adjusted my sight and thankfully it has two indicators. I set my pin at 23 yards and can shoot 0-26th yards with minimal deviation. This is still a work in progress though so those number might change

Last edited:
Anyone tests their bows and their pins for their margin of error in the pin? I have no idea if I’m working this right.

Meaning if you shoot a deer for 20 yards and he’s actually 24 yards what’s your extra drop?

Only this varies a ton but I one, challenge you to find this information out for yourself but I want to know what those of you who have done this. What were your results?

I did this the other day and wasn’t happy with my result with a 68lbs 28.5” draw and a 560 grain arrow. I wanted one pin to 25.

So I adjusted my sight and thankfully it has two indicators. I set my pin at 23 yards and can shoot 0-26th yards with minimal deviation. This is still a work in progress though so those number might change
That’s a heavy arrow for that draw length and weight. Why so heavy? What are you hunting?

fatlander

WKR
Before the multiple pin single post sights gained the popularity that they have today, I had one pin set at 27 yards. 29” draw, 74#, 480ish grain arrow, and I was easily able to cover everything from 0-35.

I can do 0-50 with the double pin set up one of my bows and 0-45 on the other. Granted I know my hold over on the upper end of that range, which is what your thread premise is really about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing new, speclally if you're shooting a heavy moderate fast arrow. Knowing the trajectory of your arrow at in between sight pin ranges is pretty important when hunting as most times the game will not be standing at the "perfect" distance or you may not have time to "dial" up/down. You're thinking is spot on!

Kularrow

WKR
I would lighten it up unless you’re Levi Morgan at judging distances why take the risk? You could go down to 460, tighten up those pin gaps and flatten out your trajectory.

Ho5tile1

WKR
I think you should shoot whatever grain arrow you want just practice what your talking about. I use 550 grains but I’m also 81 pounds 29 inches so I have plenty of speed still. It’s not 300 fps but still 283ish which is plenty fast. I also don’t guess if I can’t get a range I don’t shoot if they move a step or 2 I don’t have any issues more then that I will range again if I can’t o well not trying to wound animals. I’ve killed enough to know there will be a next time and if not there is next season…good luck

Beendare

WKR
Guys get fooled shooting at marked distances on the range thinking their very heavy arrow is not a factor.

Margin of error is a big deal on longer shots in the woods on game at unknown distances…or in cases where you get a range but they move or you have to extrapolate. If all you shoot is treestand 20y shots, then extra arrow weight is no big deal …but on 40y open country shots it matters.

So many newbies have drank the heavy arrow and very high FOC Koolaid…..face palm

OP
Bowtie747

Bowtie747

FNG
okay, reworded the post. Thanks for the input so far!

I’m not looking to start the heavy/light weight arrow debate.

I’m looking to see with your setup, your arrow weight. What your drops, margin of error is. Thanks!

fatlander

WKR

I’m looking to see with your setup, your arrow weight. What your drops, margin of error is. Thanks!

I think you’re asking a question that has a much simpler answer if you use the right terminology.

You need to know how to HOLD OVER accordingly based on your PIN GAPS to put arrows in the boiler room. It’s really that simple.

I’ve got a 20 and 35 yard pin on my whitetail setup. I know where I need to put the 20 yard pin to shoot heart shots at 27 yards. Me knowing and sharing my hold over isn’t going to do you a bit of good.

A faster setup is easier to hit stuff between the pin gaps because the gaps are smaller. That’s why the heavy vs light arrow was brought up.

I shoot a 5 pin slider. 0-60 very minimal guesswork. He’s at 32? Barely put the 30 pin high. He’s at 49? Put the 50 right on him. He’s at 25? Split the 20 and 30 evenly. I dedicate one night of practice a week to odd range shots to improve this quick thinking.
It’s one of the reasons I love a multi pin sight for hunting. Another reason I like my 515 grain arrows going 285. Tight pin gaps.

wapitibob

WKR
Just shot mine; set on 30, 20 is 6" high, 40 is 12" low.
Arrow weight somewhere between 400 and 420, I'd guess bow weight maybe 60 but haven't checked in a year +, no idea on arrow speed, haven't shot thru a chrono in many years.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Mine is negligible for that. But I shot an arrow at 20 with my 40 yard pin and was about 6" high. Then shot at 40 with my 20 pin and was about 10-12" low. I'm currently shooting a 437gr arrow at 70lbs and 32.5" draw. I'm pretty sure it's somewhere around 300fps.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I played with my arrow weight until I got what I wanted. Now I leave my single pin set at 30 yards. I’m good to 40 yards without dialing and without hold off of the deer.

It doesn’t take much arrow weight for the trajectory to be a factor. For instance, the arrow weights I tried were 406, 430, and 480 grains.

TX_hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot a 2 pin tommy hogg. Gap ends up at 25/40 with 280-290fps. I leave it set on 25 when I hunt. Can shoot out to 50 without dialing (bubble is on at 50.)

20220424_133517.jpg20220424_133724.jpg