Pillows

JSonn

FNG
What do you guys and gals use for pillows? Inflatable, stuffed, neck or just stuff sacks filled with clothes? I always have the worse neck stiffness when I wake- curious to hear what everyone uses.

Last edited:

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've been running the Nemo pillow....it's kinda got both the inflatable and foam thing going for it, so you can get the height just like you want it, but have the comfort of foam as well.

stephen b

WKR
Having good head and neck support means more to me than even great back support. I have and still have effects from an old neck injury (h.s. / college wrestling) and as long as my neck/ hd. is supported I can just about sleep on bare ground.

I can usually get by with just either a fleece vest or a Western Mountaineering down vest that I have with me anyways. I use these alone or stuffed into a game bag.

In the past I used a Thermarest fleece pillow stuff case/sack and put the fleece or down vest inside that, but it weighed almost 2 oz. alone (I had the older non- ul version) and found it hard to justify carrying.

This past fall I tried out a Mont-bell UL inflatable pillow that I got with a MB pad that I purchased from a BPL forum member. I put a vest ( fleece or down vest ) over that. Real comfy!

http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?p_id=1124290

At first I felt a little bit of guilty pleasure carrying around an extra couple ounces of a unecessary frivolous item- but it was so comfy, I found it was a guilty pleasure that I was willing to carry and found that each time I packed my pack it found its way in there.

Plus I also justified it by telling myself that my full length pad only weighed 12 oz. so a total of 14-15 oz. was not bad. Seems like we all make decisions and justification for our choices of what to carry.

Last edited:

bowhnter7

Lil-Rokslider
Tried the Exped one last year, slept a whole lot better.

Attachments

• a-pillow.jpg
    a-pillow.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 29

Mike7

WKR
Granite Gear makes a very light-weight stuff sack/pillow with fleece sewed to one side. It makes a great pillow when stuffed with clothing.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I get bad tension headaches if my neck isn't just right when I sleep, so I sewed some flannel into stuff sacks that are just the right elevation for my head. I stuff my puffy coat/ vest into it at night and zip it up for a customized pillow with just the right height and firmness. Have worked well for us the last several seasons...at work now, but will try to post pics later...they would be easy to make for anyone familiar with a sewing machine.

littlebuf

Banned
You guys are going to laugh but the absolute most comfortable and compact pillow I've found is the half size pillow pets.the things stuff super small,bounce right back to shape,give awesome support and cost nothing.I cram mine down into a small sea to summit bag and its a little bigger than a pop can.I can thank having four daughters for the discovery.seriously give it a try,super comfortable and light.plus I like having a little purple hippo to come back to at camp

Lawnboi

WKR
I would really like to try one of the small inflatable pillows this year. Thats one thing i always seem to want. A stuff sac with my puffy jacket works ok, but i always wake up in the middle of the night and have to adjust.

Could you guys add the weight, and stuff size of the pillows your using?

Gman

WKR
You guys are going to laugh but the absolute most comfortable and compact pillow I've found is the half size pillow pets.the things stuff super small,bounce right back to shape,give awesome support and cost nothing.I cram mine down into a small sea to summit bag and its a little bigger than a pop can.I can thank having four daughters for the discovery.seriously give it a try,super comfortable and light.plus I like having a little purple hippo to come back to at camp

Pictures please.

littlebuf

Banned
you want pictures of my purple hippo pillow pet......im not sure im comfortable with that

littlebuf

Banned
i can get it a little smaller by wrapping it but here's the idea.it really is comfy

Attachments

• pillow 001.jpg
    pillow 001.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 31
  • pillow 003.jpg
    pillow 003.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 42