Phone Skope (w/ Vortex Razor 20-60x85) Review, by Jared Bloomgren

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
attachment.php

Rokslide prostaffer, Jared Bloomgren paired up the Phone Skope system with his Vortex Razor spotter for the fall 2015 season, chasing elk, antelope, and mule deer across several states. See how this system performed:

http://www.rokslide.com/2012-01-09-05-09-42/optics/394-phone-skope-review

Last edited:

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
UPDATE:

As it turns out I have the wrong Phone Skope case for my gen 2 Lifeproof case on my phone. It is made for the original and not the new model. That solves the fitment issue!

The guys at PS have really went out of their way to address this issue.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Editor Update:
*Note- after this review was published, it was brought to our attention by Phone Skope that the LifeProof case used in this review was the problem. Phone Skope is working closely with the author to provide the correct part. Jared will post updates to this article in the next few weeks. You can subscribe to this post to receive those updates and join the discussion. Thanks to Phone Skope for identifying the problem and stepping up in a very public way to fix it. Some companies would have complained that the review wasn't pulled, but Phone Skope took the high road and insisted the review stay up as the problem is resolved.

Wapiti66

Lil-Rokslider
Last November I ordered a Phone Skope set up for my iPhone 6 w/ lifeproof frepower case to fit my vortex razor spotter. The phone would NOT come close to fitting into the phone skope case. I returned the entire order (iPhone 6 case holder, vortex adaptor, and Bluetooth shutter) with a letter explaining that the case did not fit my phone. Phone Skope refunded the order but I never heard anything from them as far as what the problem was or if there was a remedy. I never tried calling phone skope, I just assumed since there is only the one iphone6 lifeproof case adapter listed online then there probably isn't one made for my phone. I wish they would be more specific about which particular case their product is meant to fit, since they specialize in making specific adapters for optics and cameras. Online it only says the adapter is not meant for the NUUD model, which I do not have, so I ordered it, only to be let down by the product not fitting.

Cledus

WKR
Has anyone used the Gopro's with a phone scope and spotter? Curious to see the quality of both photos and video.

Cledus, the quality of the images won't be determined by the adapter.
The adapter performs no photographic functions.
The only purpose of an adapter is to locate the lens of the camera in front of the spotting scope.

Too many times we focus on the adapter. A home made adapter made from the cap of a Tide detergent bottle, or PVC pipe, is as affective as a tines up adapter, a phone skope adapter, or any other adapter, as long as it positions the camera correctly.

The quality of the images you would get with a go pro are totally dependent on a handful of things. None of which has anything to do with the adapter.

I have digiscoped with no adapter. Yes its much easier and faster with a good adapter. But the adapter does not improve, or reduce quality.

If you are interested in digiscopiing with a go pro, I would just look into the go pro cameras capabilities and forget about the adapter until you understand the limitations of the go pro.

Cletus, I just did a little looking for you.
I don't own a go pro, so I have no specific experience digiscoping with one.
But, looking at the Hero 4 black camera, it has a mode called Protune.
The Protune setting allows you to control white balance, ISO, and shutter speed. Along with exposure compensation and color and sharpness settings.
The one thing I don't see is aperture control.
Maybe go pro cameras have a fixed aperture, maybe they must always be controlled by the camera processor.

Anyways, with this setting, I see no reason why the go pro can not achieve quality similar to most low end, point and shoot cameras.

However, it is a fairly limited camera. Iso adjustments of 100 200 400 & 800. Thats it.
I could not find its shutter speed range listed anywhere, but if it is as limited as the ISO range, you will suffer in certain situations.

If I were you, I would go with another option. That is if quality is your main concern.
The go pro is capable of incredible quality, but I doubt its processor is programmed to understand and deal with digiscoping.
So, you will probably be better off using it in the protune setting, and that seems to be quite limited.

Thats just my opinion, based on nothing more than specs listed on go pro's site, and personal understanding of digiscoping concepts.

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
Due to the mix up Phone Skope sent me a regular case so I could get the pictures I want. They have gone above and beyond to rectify the situation and take care of me. Thanks guys!!!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
great Jared, let us know when you have some pics with the new case. thanks

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
The new case is working out great and how it was intended to! Crisp and clear pictures are the norm when your phone fits in a case that was specifically made for it! I'll get some pics up soon!!

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
I tried to post these as videos but the file is too large. I am sure plenty like to see what we all know happens to those "King gophers" upon the shot!

Seriously though, don't hesitate to buy Phone Skope products as they work great! Just ensure you have the right case for your phone!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 92
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 64
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Jared just sent me some updated photos, now with the right Lifeproof case.

Make sure if you order, you know if there are several versions of your case.

When in doubt, take the time to call PS as they usually can diagnose quickly. They did on this project, it just wasn't scouting season when we found out there was a problem so it took a few months for Jared to get back out.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php