Pheasant taxidermy ideas

bdg848

WKR
I've spent a lot of time training my shorthair pup. Her first season we just couldn't pin down any wild birds here in Eastern Iowa but this year we went to South Dakota and she killed it. We left there and arrived home just in time for Iowa's opener. Yesterday she got me my first Iowa rooster two years in the making. I'm going to mount it but am not sure what pose to go with. I'm thinking either 'crowing and flapping' on a log , 'hiding in grass', or 'flushing' from some grass around the base.

The hiding pheasant pose is interesting but will hide his spurs. They are about 1/2 inch and pretty sharp. I don't know if its worth posing them to display those or not.

What's your favorite pose of the ones listed or do you have other suggestions?

Attachments

• hiding phez.jpg
    hiding phez.jpg
    427.4 KB · Views: 73
  • flying phez.jpg
    flying phez.jpg
    450.3 KB · Views: 74
  • crowing phez 1.jpg
    crowing phez 1.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 72

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I like my flushing mount. My nephew has one flushing with a fox jumping for it. Great mount.

bradyhunt

FNG
Google "pheasant dead mount" and look at the images. You'll never look at it and think it doesn't look right or quite alive. Consider if you design it right, you can add other species to it.
Just my $0.02

Otherwise I like the crowing/flapping pose. Not very common and shows the bird off well.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

stonewall

WKR
I like a standing pose on a round base with a little habit.

one thing for sure....call Cory Caruthers and get him to mount it

Edit: here's a photo I lifted off his facebook page:
1635967438107.png

Last edited:

jolemons

WKR
Flushing rooster with hiding hen
637c9a7741e0eee5bdf68653f9cf782a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

WCB

WKR
First...go with the absolute best Taxidermist you can. That crowing one is going to look like crap with 90% of taxidermists same with the flushing one.

I would personally go with a dead mount with a nice barn wood background. Leave a little space to add a bird or two in the future. Not sure where you are in Iowa but maybe you get into a quail or maybe a Sharptail or Prairie Chicken in SD and add them to it.

ODB

WKR
I like the ones kind of like in the first post that look like they are flying along the wall.

I saw a rooster this weekend at Silver creek that was the most colorful, fat rooster ive seen in a very long time. Would have been a great mount.

BRoth82

WKR
Here's one I had mounted last year, I ended up making the base and the habitat for it. It had a 26 1/2" tail and 5/8" spurs, so I wanted something that would showcase both those features. I think it looks nice and I can mount it on a wall or set it on an end table as well.

Attachments

• 18928.jpeg
    18928.jpeg
    226.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 18930.jpeg
    18930.jpeg
    395.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 20210314_154526.jpg
    20210314_154526.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 20210314_154612.jpg
    20210314_154612.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 38

oake

Lil-Rokslider
As a couple others have commented, the pheasant mounts I seem to like the best are those with predators in chase - fox or coyote

hobbes

WKR
I'm not a big fan of the predator chase especially if you are mounting it to recall your pup's first rooster. I'd go with a flushing mount. Find a good pheasant taxidermist. I see piles of mounted pheasants that look terrible. The bird should look alive not like a dead bird spread out with a wire up his.....

Your example flusher/flying isn't bad. The example hiding bird is decent but doesn't look like a natural pose. The crowing bird never looks very good because most folks don't know what the heck he's doing. A rooster displaying for a hen looks really nice but that's the wrong time of year for a bird flushed in front of a dog and the wattles really should be quite a bit larger and brighter in the spring. I do like some of the dead mounts.

There are multiple reputable taxidermists out there. Take a look at Shane Smith's stuff or Todd Huffman's Birdman Studios. You'll see some great pheasant mounts on both websites.

Last edited: