Pet Loads After Cutting Back Barrel?

41.5 grains H4350/143 ELD-X/CCI BR-2/Hornady brass works well in my 24” Tikka T3x 6.5 Creedmoor.

Barreled action is at the smith getting cut back to 16.5” and threaded for a can.

Asides from the loss in velocity, will there be a need to work up another ladder or will the group size remain close to the same?

Other than point of impact change and velocity loss, things should be as they were before. I did this in 260rem, (22-16) and it was a simple elevation change to rezero, groups stayed the same. I'm shooting a lighter bullet with a slightly faster powder and I think the velocity loss was only about 150fps. If you weren't shooting it with the can before, that will effect POI as well.

OP
General RE LEE
Other than point of impact change and velocity loss, things should be as they were before. I did this in 260rem, (22-16) and it was a simple elevation change to rezero, groups stayed the same. I'm shooting a lighter bullet with a slightly faster powder and I think the velocity loss was only about 150fps. If you weren't shooting it with the can before, that will effect POI as well.

I’ve heard the heavier for caliber bullets don’t lose as much speed when barrel is cut back.

I’m considering just staying with my 143 ELD-X load. It will probably be about 2500-2550 FPS but that’s plenty for whitetail to within sane yardages.

I’ve heard the heavier for caliber bullets don’t lose as much speed when barrel is cut back.

I’m considering just staying with my 143 ELD-X load. It will probably be about 2500-2550 FPS but that’s plenty for whitetail to within sane yardages.
I went back through my notes. The projectile is a 123gn Absolute Hammer, in the 22" it was right a 3000fps, after is was cut, and its just barely over 16", it was 2826 with H4350. I messed with IMR 4166 with good results, but settled back on H4350. The interesting thing with that gun, is that it shows no, or negligible, shift between the Griffin blast deflector which is its bare muzzle condition and the Griffin Sportsman can. It is the only one of many guns I have shot with and without cans to have so little shift. Obviously the barrel is much stiffer after the cut, but it just underscored for me how weird barrel harmonics can be.

Last edited:

JF_Idaho

Lil-Rokslider
I would be interested to see the results. Post them. There's a lot of variables changing at the same time there. Would be cool to see real world data on changes in velocity, group size and POI.