Percheron for hunting/ mountain trail riding?

OP
IDspud

IDspud

Lil-Rokslider
So tell us about the specific damage and future lameness you expect from those "upright" back feet.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk
This should be hilarious

FatCampzWife

Lil-Rokslider
Idk this guy seems like he might have some experience having owned multiple ranches and having done it for 50 years. Not saying he’s not out to make money but I’m sure he’s pretty experienced.

Going riding this afternoon and the vet that I sourced is coming out tomorrow morning. They know what I will be using him for and said they are perfectly well equipped and experience to tell me whether he will have issues doing that or not.
Owning "multiple" ranches is NOT a gold star in my book...

Too bad you couldn't slow down a bit & look around more taking our advice. I was looking forward to your search.

Now, I'm just waiting for the train wreck report.
I really hope you get a good vet report. From your pictures, there was no way I'd have bought him, but hopefully they were just taken at odd angles. I'm glad you like him so far. You'll need to put im in stressful situations at home before you take him out much, see what he'll tolerate & if he blows at much.
If you don't know what I'm.talking about, get your rodeo friend to sack him out. Hopefully, she'll know what I mean.

Please have an experienced trail riding person go with you & your new steed BEFORE attempting ANY solo trail rides.

Welcome to the crazy world of horse ownership. I hope it brings you peace & joy :)

OP
IDspud

IDspud

Lil-Rokslider
Wow , classy , real classy Spud . Good luck asking for help in the future .
Im guessing you didn’t understand the context of that comment. But if that somehow offended you, oh well.

OP
IDspud

IDspud

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not offended , but please explain the context you intended ?
I really don’t want to start pointless bickering online. I asked for your guys input and you gave it. It was received and appreciated for taking the time to do so.

However, while many people have been commenting about the horse and possible health concerns, my “jumping in” etc, actual equine vets that do PPE‘s and equine surgeons have been privately messaging me saying to disregard those comments along with more info. So again, while I appreciate the input, idk why a few of you are talking like I screwed up and I bought a horse that's probably lame and are “waiting for the train wreck report”

Quite a few assumptions have been made in this thread. I know you can go only off of what I have posted, but this thread wasn’t the only thing I was buying a horse based off after “one week of looking.” If I'm not mistaken I titled this thread asking if Percherons made decent mountain hunting horses, because from the people I had already talked to it was kind of a love it or hate it 50/50 response.

Riding lesson went well. Vet will be there in the morning with their x ray. If it's not what it's supposed to be, on to the next horse and out nothing except for having gained more experience.

Last edited:
OP
IDspud

IDspud

Lil-Rokslider
Vet check showed his feet and joints were actually much better than expected for a horse his age.

However, he did end up being upwards of 18 years old like a lot of people guessed so I got all my money back and left so I can get something younger. Easy peasy.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Vet check showed his feet and joints were actually much better than expected for a horse his age.

However, he did end up being upwards of 18 years old like a lot of people guessed so I got all my money back and left so I can get something younger. Easy peasy.
I’d cross that horse seller off my list. That horse didn’t look 12, or even close. I guessed him over 20. Good job getting a vet check. You got lucky…this time.
Hopefully you got your eyes opened to the perils of horse buying and will slow down and do some research going forward.

Btw, 18 is a fine age for a beginner rider. Assuming the $$$$ is right. 12-18 is the sweet spot in my opinion.

Last edited:
OP
IDspud

IDspud

Lil-Rokslider
Yes sir, will be going much slower now. I would never have given him a dime if my friends didn’t vouch for him that he would refund me. But yes, that guy is 100% off my list because he was very pushy and threw up lots of red flags like trying to dissuade me from getting a vet check.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Yes sir, will be going much slower now. I would never have given him a dime if my friends didn’t vouch for him that he would refund me. But yes, that guy is 100% off my list because he was very pushy and threw up lots of red flags like trying to dissuade me from getting a vet check.
I’ve heard stories of guys drugging horses to make them calm, etc. Shady horse sellers have probably been around as long as prostitutes!

Honest sellers shouldn’t have an issue having a horse vet checked before you hand over the funds either. I would never pay for a horse first then have it vetted after the fact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
IDspud

IDspud

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve heard stories of guys drugging horses to make them calm, etc. Shady horse sellers have probably been around as long as prostitutes!
I actually thought he may have drugged it today when I brought the vet out because it was much calmer and a completely different horse. But that doesn’t make sense right? Nobody would drug a horse knowing a vets coming over and May do bloodwork?

FatCampzWife

Lil-Rokslider
I actually thought he may have drugged it today when I brought the vet out because it was much calmer and a completely different horse. But that doesn’t make sense right? Nobody would drug a horse knowing a vets coming over and May do bloodwork?
Horse traders do this routinely, unfortunately. Avoid "horse traders" at all costs. These are people who "flip" horses like houses, and, in general, are rarely, if ever honest. Yes, he very likely drugged him to hide gait issues, taking a chance the vet may not do bloodwork. The difference between a 12 & 18 yr old is huge, & a good horseperson would have "mouthed" the horse to validate his age. The fact the guy was relying on your (& perhaps your friends) inexperience to miss such a huge age discrepency, leads me to believe he was more than likely untruthful about the horses experience & temperment, too.
Good luck on your search & keep us posted. I know it's rough thinking you found "the one" & then having to give it back...

Ouzel

FNG
Heed the advice given. Horses are very dangerous. Even a good horse. Also, don’t forget the costs. For 90% of guys renting a horse 1x a year is a way better option. Horse, tack, trailer, FEED, etc. A good horse is like a good dog, they just don’t live long enough. Spend 10k on a GOOD horse, buy a trailer and tack and Feed the hungry bastard 12 months a year…500 to rent on for a week is CHEAP!!!

I’d go through at least a season on a rented horse. They’re usually ridden hard and know the routine. They’re generally safer than your grass eater that gets ridden a few times before hitting the trails.
Many times the draft and draft crosses are very comfortable on the trail, until you start down and then they can be relatively rough, like they are stepping off a cinderblock with each step. Not all are that way but some damn sure are and 5 or 6 miles of down hill will jar your guts loose.
Full drafts, my Percherons are scratching 17 hands and that’s too damn tall for slinging elk quarters by myself at my age. I have some 15 hand mules that fit that bill perfectly.
As far as snow, if your stirrups are dragging and you are up to your breast collar, probably a good idea not to go much further. LOL.

OP
IDspud

IDspud

Lil-Rokslider
Many times the draft and draft crosses are very comfortable on the trail, until you start down and then they can be relatively rough, like they are stepping off a cinderblock with each step. Not all are that way but some damn sure are and 5 or 6 miles of down hill will jar your guts loose.
Full drafts, my Percherons are scratching 17 hands and that’s too damn tall for slinging elk quarters by myself at my age. I have some 15 hand mules that fit that bill perfectly.
As far as snow, if your stirrups are dragging and you are up to your breast collar, probably a good idea not to go much further. LOL.
What's the best way to find out what I can/will tolerate and what I wont? For example, I don't see lifting elk/deer quarters being an issue because I'm younger and moderately fit. But the jarring my guts loose riding sounds horrible. Short of knowing people, is there a way to find some different ones to try out in these scenarios? Rentals? I'm guessing that would be pretty difficult being inexperienced at riding.

mntnguide

WKR
Not sure why you are so set on a draft....i spent less than 4k on these horses TOTAL. 1 is now 20..1 is 4...i broke the young one, and he is turning into one of the best mountain horses I've ever had. Both 1/4 horses who do great. You have a lot to learn with what is needed or desired for a mountain hunting horse... the best description of riding drafts is put above... like stepping off cinder blocks every step going down.
c0444946fd6f7a5334ebb242949a61c4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

bmart2622

WKR
You dont know how to ride so knowing what you can and cant tolerate will be difficult right now. Like many others have said I wouldn't go full draft and like many others have said a smaller horse is easier to throw and lash loads on regardless of how good of shape you think you are in.

OP
IDspud

IDspud

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely decided against a full draft. Half draft at most. Also realizing if I am set on a certain breed or color I may be out this for a few decades before I find the right horse so I’m open to a lot more.

Someone is looking into the price on this half shire for me. Allegedly he is a great 12 year old beginner friendly horse that was used for fox hunting. Not that that is the same as what I’m doing.

Attachments

• 1148D5A3-E9AB-4F53-8CAA-98195A238952.jpeg
    1148D5A3-E9AB-4F53-8CAA-98195A238952.jpeg
    371.3 KB · Views: 38

WCB

WKR
What's the best way to find out what I can/will tolerate and what I wont? For example, I don't see lifting elk/deer quarters being an issue because I'm younger and moderately fit. But the jarring my guts loose riding sounds horrible. Short of knowing people, is there a way to find some different ones to try out in these scenarios? Rentals? I'm guessing that would be pretty difficult being inexperienced at riding.
I've packed 14 hands Mules and 17+ hands horses. Tying a head on the top of a 17 hand horse is not super fun when you also have quarters on the side of them. Also, think of the worse scenario or less than ideal scenario. Worn out, freezing cold, blowing and snowing, horse/mule is not in a good mood and your not in a good mood....why make more work for yourself? would you rather do work chest high or eye level +.

Also, in general just getting on and off the animal... add 8-12" to a horse and you now have to lift your leg 8-12" higher just to get in the stirrup. Just my opinion but I see exactly zero advantages to getting a "bigger" horse.

OP
IDspud

IDspud

Lil-Rokslider
I've packed 14 hands Mules and 17+ hands horses. Tying a head on the top of a 17 hand horse is not super fun when you also have quarters on the side of them. Also, think of the worse scenario or less than ideal scenario. Worn out, freezing cold, blowing and snowing, horse/mule is not in a good mood and your not in a good mood....why make more work for yourself? would you rather do work chest high or eye level +.

Also, in general just getting on and off the animal... add 8-12" to a horse and you now have to lift your leg 8-12" higher just to get in the stirrup. Just my opinion but I see exactly zero advantages to getting a "bigger" horse.
The way I’m looking at it is as few animals as I’m actually packing it doesn’t really matter. 0/4 on archery elk. At most a deer or two and maybe a wolf a year. Might try tyin up coyotes on him but eh. As little as I get I wouldn’t care how much more difficult the losing was. Also considered eventually getting pack llamas but I heard they don’t mix with horses

Any more than that shoulder high guy I was riding and yeah those stirrups may be an issue. Felt like he was about perfect.