Peeved

OP
Gr8bawana

Gr8bawana

WKR
To the OP's point, I would also be frustrated if someone joined just to ask for locations to hunt and I helped them, and then they never really took part in the forum. That is pretty shitty IMO.

They could at least have the courtesy of letting us know how their hunt went.

I haven't been on the asking end for a few decades now. However, I am considering hunting some new areas, so one never knows. I have on many occasions been the provider of information (more so on other forums), and on this forum, some of it has been a bit scrutinized on occasion (in a good way, as different perspectives are not only valuable to the OP, but to me and many others also). But, I'd like to comment on some saying that they look for the activity level of those doing the asking. I have read many a questions on this forum, and have had plenty to contribute. The issue I have faced here is a rather good one though. There are simply so many here with a wealth of knowledge, and a willingness to share it, that my contributions are more often than not, already stated by others; subsequently my posting here is limited. I think that could be the case for many.

Like many here, I have responded to those only here (any online hunting forum) to take what they can, with providing any contributions, nor feedback of their hunt. I have also provided information to many that have exhibited great appreciation, and feedback; to those that take my advice, confirm it with the area biologist, and then disregard both sources and the converging information/data. For those once in a life time draws, or once every 10+ years, I freely give out information. For the areas I hunt here in Southern Ca, I realize that I could give the vast majority of hunters GPS coordinates, and they would have a difficult time filling their tags. We here is So Cal just don't have the herd numbers, and a 10% success rate zone is considered a better zone. As such, I try to concentrate on technique, rather than specific locations; the teach a man to fish technique previously mentioned.

But with that said, I believe that it is important to recognize that hunters are declining in the U.S., more-so here in Ca. And, there is a growing anti hunting belief among our society (obviously much greater in Ca). Hunter recruitment is essential if we hunters want to keep hunting alive. We need hunter recruitment for a variety of reasons, true conversation should obviously be among the many. But like many here, I am not a believer that instant gratification of specific location information develops the values and appreciation of our prey that we should be developing in hunters, new and old. So from my perspective, my reasons for providing specific information do not revolve around my honey holes. My willingness to provide location specific information revolves around how I perceive the persons character and integrity. Information more surrounding technique, knowledge of my prey, how the environment effects animals... I pretty much freely share, like many here.

As for that guy in Nebraska, I have been wanting to hunt there for years now. So I may be going back in this thread, when I have a bit more time, and contacting you, via PM.