Peeved

I would like to delete every thread about a particular unit.

I'm all for helping people, but not on an open forum.

I would agree 99%, unless its a once and a lifetime tag, but PM's are still the best option, or PM the guy your number and go from there.

Trial153

WKR
It is what it is, and it pays to be selective. I been both helped and burned. I guess it's the nature of things now a days. Still this place is better then most. Try other forums and you will be getting scolded by experts that never left their treestand on uncle bills 40 acres .... you can see them coming a mile away. They start like this " since I been bowhunting I killed well over 100 deer.......""

Spare us....

xziang

WKR
I found that funny “not looking for specifics”

On a local forum I’m on that is specific to my state when people ask for where to hunt they get pointed to a public hunting access map and start from there.

When you find a public area around here deer/waterfowl/mushrooms you keep that in your back pocket. Kind of selfish but need to be very careful who you share the information with. Had one location get kind of burned by putting it up on the web and talking about it around work.

I'm a rookie and I think I asked someone once (general area info) but also provided as to where I was at previous year and that I already had boots on the ground in there and this is what I saw/didn't see already. (They had same experience not much success)

gelton

WKR
I have a similar problem but not necessarily on forums...I cant keep my mouth shut when I run into people out in the field. I am a terrible liar and if someone asks me something I tell em'. Next thing you know my whole area is overran by people who's "uncle" gave em gps coordinates...no joke real story. I need to learn how to shape the truth a bit.

So much so that I need to find a new area to hunt.

Frito

Lil-Rokslider
I come here to learn from other's experiences as far as tactics and gear, and I like to give whatever insight I can if someone has a question or experience that I share but I would never ask where to hunt or even hint to where I'm hunting.

2ski

WKR
So I want to go hunting this weekend for the shoulder season. Anyone have a good spot that I can get into some cows for some meat? GPS coordinates are always appreciated. Didn't get an elk this year so........not asking for your honey hole. Just a hole to get my own honey.

Lol.

I was asked here by someone about an area that I have hiked around but never hunted after I made a post about the area. I don't remember how it came up. I don't plan on ever hunting that place as its by drawing only and I want to put my time in hunting elsewhere. So I pretty much told the dude exactly what my thoughts are on the place and gave him a little pre-scouting imput that was pretty darn detailed. From his response he was overwhelmed and greatly appreciated the help and just kind of expected a brief summary of the range and if I thought it was worth hunting. I appreciated how thankful he was. I don't know if he ever did put in for the area or drew there. I'm usually pretty free with advice if you ask me in person. Here it does depends on post count and attitude.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

CoHiCntry

WKR
I had an experience here where a guy with a low post count who just joined was asking questions about a once in a lifetime type hunt I had done a few years earlier. We exchanged PM's and emails and eventually I was gonna tag along on the hunt! I even surrendered a tag I had during that same time so I could go. As the hunt dates approached he was supposed to call me and discuss some details. I never heard from him again... I didn't know what to expect and never contacted him either feeling kind of weird about it. Have no idea if he did the hunt or was successful or not. Hopefully he was successful & could use the information I gave him. To my knowledge he hasn't been back on here either. I won't be making that mistake again!

KMT

WKR
I won't give anyone specifics on any unit and certainly won't share info on where I hunt. There are units that I know well but may not hunt them anymore. Lets assume I know "your" unit but for whatever reason, I don't currently hunt it. Chances are, you actually had to get off your butt and find your favorite spot. I wouldn't feel right unknowingly pointing some guy to your spot. Why should you work for it and not the other guy?

for me , that is all the fun in hunting, getting a place dialed in.
when i was in africa, it was pay your money and shoot that one now, i'd rather go out back with the local boys

I like helping people if I can. I have had times I asked for help and I will surly ask again.

I hate the "not asking for your honey hole" line though. Usually ignore those people.

Last edited:
I can only speak to this site,but my experiences have been great. A member I was helping prep for his first western hunt came out with his wife in the summer prior,they brought my daughter a sweet gift,and took me out to dinner.
Another couple members I had talked to a lot prior to season came out and killed a nice bull. They invited me down to the pub after they got out and we darn near got kicked out after all the celebratory shot rounds.
Conversely, I posted for help hunting turkeys in Nebraska.one member offered to meet me and help me out,even gave me a great line on a spot to shoot carp with my bow. Knowing I was meeting him,I brought him a elk roast.
I'm still in touch with all these guys
Edit..all these guys had a plan, they were asking about weather,bugs, bears,local meat lockers, ect.

Last edited:
I have made some lifelong friends in very weird ways when it comes to hunting. Not everyone is a turd. Go with your gut and you might have a new friend.
Very true, a few years ago I got a PM about a unit near my house and the guy just asked if I could be a point of contact because he had heart issues and was coming to hunt solo for a week. He wanted someone his family could reach that would know where to look if he didn't check in on time. I agreed and happened to have had the same tag the year prior. Long story short I helped him a little and a few years later he helped me fill an elk tag in his area.

I've had a bunch of turds too but if things seem legit I'll try to help. Still haven't shared any "honey holes" though...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I have asked for help here this last season. And help I DID get! There are some really good guys here, and I'm sure there are some bad apples too. My learning curve has been streamlined in ways that would have taken years without rokslide and it's most valuable asset...its quality members! I do try to help, if and when I can. I also can understand and would get frustrated with what the OP is talking about. Wise discretion must be used.

I like helping people if I can. I have had times I asked for help and I will surly ask again.

I hate the "not asking for your hone hole" line though. Usually ignore those people.

Hahahahahahaha!!! I used that, kinda feel dumb now. But I did mean it.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Some of my very best friends I've met on this type of forum by discreetly seeking and sharing information with like minded individuals. On occasion, things won't work out, but more often than not I've discovered some really, really generous/grateful good people I'm proud to have as friends.

I ducked out of the big game world over a decade ago to pursue my interest chasing steelhead in Nez Perce country and saltwater fish with the fly (Florida, Belize, Aitutaki) Long story short, my passion to hunt has been rekindled. It has also changed. I found this forum based on my passion and changing interests. I'm eternally grateful to those on this forum who took the chance to help when I reached out.

Last edited:

Rs3003

WKR
I wouldn't feel right asking very detailed information from a guy I never met. That person spent a lot of their own time and money On the ground finding the area for themselves. I went on 1 diy elk hunt in 2015 because a friend gave me details about parking, trailheads and even as he put it a "honey hole" I feel that I am in debt to him forever. We found no honey. Lol. And all that I want is a cow elk for meat. I hope to find it on my own enjoyable time hunting and learning.

HOT ROD

WKR
I never post any info on a unit. On a open forum. I don't mind helping sum one.... And I have received unit info... And I all ways get back to the person.... I all ways check how many post. The individual has though