Peeved

Gr8bawana

WKR
You guys ever get peeved with fellow forum members who come here seeking info?
Recently I got a pm from a member when I mentioned here that I had hunted the same unit he had drawn. I gave him some pretty specific info on that unit and where I had seen the game he was after.
I never heard from him again. I waited at least a month after the season was over and sent him a pm asking if he did any good or was even able to go on the hunt.
I guess I should have known better than to give out info to someone who had less than 10 total posts here and has not been here since.

cnelk

WKR
Happens all the time.

Someone requests info, and hardly a 'Thanks' or reciprocal info.

Joe Schmo

Lil-Rokslider
You're not talking about forum members...you're talking about someone who uses the forum to use it's members. It's only happened to me about 13 times...
me: Here's your help for your 2015 hunt
a year later
xyz member: "Last activity one week before the 2015 hunt opened"

WyoElk

WKR
I am seeing it more and more. I really like the posts that start with "not looking for anyone's honey hole, but....."

I have been on both sides. Got info about an area but was injured in a hit & run and unable to hunt it at all and was so bummed out I just put it out of my mind. Should have gotten back to the guy but had deleted all my PMs and forgot his name. My bad. Then I have shared info on specific (outta state) locations I have hunted and never heard from the guys. It's the internet...tiny points of light on your screen. Don't allow it to bother you too much. What goes around...comes around.

The John

Lil-Rokslider
I am seeing it more and more. I really like the posts that start with "not looking for anyone's honey hole, but....."

Yes, I dont mind pointing people to general areas (if they seem truly wanting some insight) but my MO is to usually let them do most of the heavy lifting. I am one of those teach a man to fish guys.

FreeRange

WKR
It goes either way generally I use discretion looking at how active they've been before asking for help. One time I gave a guy a tip on a good spot and 2 days later he walked in and shot a buck 50 yards from where I'd suggested he'd look in the first 15 minutes of his hunt. A few hours later he was letting me know about it and offering to buy me beers, that kind of stuff is what I hope happens when I help someone out. Have received a lot of good tips myself on this forum, super thankful for the info I've received and always like to provide useful feedback.

Joe Schmo

Lil-Rokslider
Recent examples:
Dude: "I just moved to xyz unit, any info on xyz unit?"
me: Seriously bro!!?? Go effin drive around!!

Dude: "Can you help me with ___?"
Me: Yep. Go down rd ___ and check it out
Dude: "Ok...I have a guy that's gonna drive 8 hours over there and check it out for me"
Me: Seriously...how lazy are people

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
For guys that I recognize that have been around for awhile that I "know", I'll help out. But someone I don't know at all......good luck.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
People have helped me out a bunch on here but I always try and leave a thank you and recap. I've never had a post with honey hole in it though maybe I'll try that as a starter next time haha

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

semperfidelis97

Lil-Rokslider
I don't mind helping someone with some general info, but part of the fun is figuring out a game plan then executing it. It is also how you learn to become a better hunter. It is not a coincidence that 10% of the hunters out there are successful 90% of the time.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Retterath

WKR
I would be pissed too. Some people have absolutely no respect at all. The good guys always get shit on when trying to help someone out.

I had someone message me that needed help because there first plan out west backfired at the last minute. Long story short they all ended up being great guys and we gained some great friends out of the deal. His account had less than 10 posts, but his message was a lot different than others who have asked for information as his first message was filled with compassion and detail about their situation. Anybody else whose asked had been short and almost rude about fishing for information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I belong to a couple hunting/outdoors forums. One of which is state local, and this one.

Like the changing of the seasons, you see the influx of "new members" that join just before certain seasons (elk, deer, rifle, archery, etc.) and ask for tips on unit x, where to go, tips on the unit, etc.

It frustrates me as someone who has been self taught, and had to learn everything via the old fashioned way of boots on the ground, and scouting. But I suppose these forums and social media are lending themselves as a new form for "scouting".

The one that really frustrates me is when a guy puts in for a hunt, or unit, and then goes around begging for info because "they've never set foot in the unit, and are too busy to scout/not enough time to get over there before season".

Excuses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
I would like to delete every thread about a particular unit.

I'm all for helping people, but not on an open forum.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would like to delete every thread about a particular unit.

I'm all for helping people, but not on an open forum.
That information stays out there for forever and changes the unit pressure in those spots for sure. Use the PM feature people

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk