Peep Question

Kularrow

Lil-Rokslider
Currently using a 1/4 Hamskea Raptor on a V3 27 at 29 inch draw. There’s a fair amount of light between the peep and housing. I want to increase my accuracy without buying a million peeps. Anyone else run into this problem on the shorter Mathews in the past? What size peep worked best for you if you have similar specs to me? Thanks!

This is why I mainly use peep with replaceable aperture.

They add weight, and they can loosen up, but you can fit it to what you need.

Been using the Hamskea Insight.

I have a lift 29.5 and had to go to a 3/16” peep to get a perfect match on my spot Hogg. 1/4” was way too big, 1/8” too small

OP
Kularrow

Kularrow

Lil-Rokslider
I have a spare Raptor 5/32 I actually ordered by accident but I’m worried that will be too small for lowlight whitetail hunting.

mod-it

Lil-Rokslider
It also really depends on how far the sight is mounted from the riser, but I'm a 27.5" DL and use a 3/16" peep.
I always buy a dovetail mount sight setup, that way I can just stay using a 3/16" peep and move the sight until I have them matching.

ncavi8tor

WKR
Hamskea Raptor 5/32 matches perfectly with my Black Gold standard size sight housing. Been using it for Whitetail hunting the past 2 years. V3X29 28" DL.

NC

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

OP
Kularrow

Kularrow

Lil-Rokslider
Hamskea Raptor 5/32 matches perfectly with my Black Gold standard size sight housing. Been using it for Whitetail hunting the past 2 years. V3X29 28" DL.

NC

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
I have a black gold pro sight with wingtruss. What mount are you running?

N2TRKYS

WKR
I’ve never worried about lining my sight housing and my peep sight up. I didn’t even know that was a thing until I read it on the internet a few years ago. Heck when I started, my sights didn’t even have a housing.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've always used 3/16", but when I got my Traverse that was just a tad too small so went with the 1/4". It's a tad too big about the same as the 3/16" was small, so a 7/32" would be about perfect. I'm not sure they make a 7/32 though. For hunting I figure the 1/4" is good enough though. The bigger the better for those low light situations.

OP
Kularrow

Kularrow

Lil-Rokslider
I just bought a 3/16 raptor. I’m going to try both when I put on my new string. I’ll use the wingtruss to move it until one of them fits perfect. I had the opposite problem of your traverse the short ATA with 29 inch draw made my 1/4 way too big to feel comfortable. I’m looking for a inbetween of letting light in without having too much space around the peep.

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
Used a 1/4" Peep, just adjusted my SpottHogg sight in/out until peep-housing sight picture was correct.

Few years ago, I went back to not using a peep. Shoot better, group better and better for the old eyesight, especially in low light conditions.
Just as I did 40 years ago, no peeps or lighted pins back then. Jennings T-Star compound, my 4 metal pin heads were colored with wife's nail polish, set 3 anchor points to make the shot.

Just focus on my 3-anchor points, which you have to do using a peep anyways.

wyodog

Lil-Rokslider
Some things to try. Move the sight closer to the riser. Try a smaller peep like 3/16. move the peep up the string a bit (will move it farther from the eye).

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I had the opposite problem of your traverse the short ATA with 29 inch draw made my 1/4 way too big to feel comfortable.
Ya, I don't know if my 32 1/2" draw would make it smaller or bigger than with a 29" draw. Also depends on where the peep is placed. Mine is 6.25" above the center of my nocking point.