Peak 44 switch lug questions

adanymous

FNG
So I’m building a no expense spared rifle. The absolute best and most dependable rifle I can build with weight being an important factor but reliability being number 1. I’m using a SA mausingfield action, planning on a switchlug so I can swap from 300 wsm, 308, 22 creed, and maybe 330 blk just for quiet fun. I was planning on using the peak 44 bastion due to its weight but I’m not sure the carbon fiber will anccomodate being inletted around a switch lug without making a weak point. Has anyone done this? Also do you really save weight with a peak 44 after pillar bedding vs a sticky’s vg2 etc? Opinions welcome!
Thanks

BAKPAKR

WKR
Do you already have the action and will it accept shouldered pre-fits? A barrel nut does not shout, “No expense spared!” to me.

OP
A

adanymous

FNG
Current parts I have are the action. All bolt faces and extractors, flat and 30moa scope rails, a .22 and .30 bartlein in steel bbl and 2 .30 bartlein carbon bbl. Hawkins A5 bottom metal.

I have 2 scopes picked out for close-mid and long range options. I’m gonna order them when leupold emails me back. I know, everyone has scope opinions.

The stock and gun smithing are where I’m currently hung up. I kinda need the rifle by October. I sold my browning 300wm and elk season is looming.

I don’t see any issues with it. The last 2 bastions I got came in weighting 20.5 and 21 ounces. I generally mix up about 600 grains of bedding compound to bed a stock and have 30% left over so figure another ounce or so for bedding compound.

BAKPAKR

WKR
Yes to both questions

I think a shouldered pre-fit would look better and negate any issue with opening up your stock to fit a barrel nut.

With that said, I haven’t actually tried fitting a pre-fit myself. Something about my 10 thumbs… 😀