Patreon members?

Ucsdryder

WKR
Curious how many people are patreon members to hunting podcasts. And a follow up, what made you decide to do it?

JakeSCH

WKR
Yeah, I did for JvB. I signed up mainly because I have had a couple years of back and forth questions / answers and I appreciate his willingness to respond / time. I enjoy his podcast as well.

Yoder

WKR
Yeah, I did for JvB. I signed up mainly because I have had a couple years of back and forth questions / answers and I appreciate his willingness to respond / time. I enjoy his podcast as well.
Who is that? Honest question. I might check it out.

West18

FNG
Who is that? Honest question. I might check it out.
Joseph Von Benedikt - Backcountry Hunting.... Seems like a good way to support podcasters who probably don't make much money thru sponsors depending on the podcast

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
What’s funny is that he’s the one I was referring to! He’s always asking for patreon subscriptions. He always says something about being able to make this his job by getting people to contribute to the podcast.

My take is he’s getting sponsors and pushing their products, hard. They pay him to push their products to customers, so why would I pay him?

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
I would have to say "no", because I don't even know what you're talking about.....LOL.
There is a subscription-based platform for Podcasters. You actually give them money every month for their content even though it’s completely voluntary and most of the time the content is available to non-subscribers too. As somebody else said, it’s almost like a tip for doing the podcast.

JakeSCH

WKR
What’s funny is that he’s the one I was referring to! He’s always asking for patreon subscriptions. He always says something about being able to make this his job by getting people to contribute to the podcast.

My take is he’s getting sponsors and pushing their products, hard. They pay him to push their products to customers, so why would I pay him?

Yeah, I think most of the sponsorships are fairly new and do not pay a lot. But I bet he is making a lot less than you would expect per episode.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
Yeah, I think most of the sponsorships are fairly new and do not pay a lot. But I bet he is making a lot less than you would expect per episode.
Very possible! When his podcast first came out I loved it. I think he’s running out of stuff to talk about. I feel like that’s the normal life cycle of a podcast!

West18

FNG
I do think its strange to be asking for this "tip" during the podcasts. Comes across as begging sometimes (in other sports podcasts I listen to). If being a patreon member would eliminate the commercials, give out some swagg or raffle tickets, that might convince me to pitch in a couple dollars for my otherwise free podcast.

TheTone

WKR
I’m listening to their commercials and products they subliminally push lol

They should pay me to listen. Wouldn’t that be a thing !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well being as how your listen numbers are part of what they use to get paid by sponsors I agree

I can’t imagine giving any podcaster or influencer direct money. I’d rather see them all go away and get jobs

tony

WKR
Same here, He has always answered any question I had about firearms and ammo, in depth.
For Free
I don't do do patreon, but Joseph is far from the only asking for pay subscribers. I pretty much podcast only these days as modern music just sucks and I refuse to pay for it. But thats another thread.
The patreon fee earns you "bonus content" and maybe exclusive giveaways. That's about it.
JVB is one of my favorites