Patreon members?

Interesting. I hear the folks ask for Patreon, but never considered paying a radio show host. To me podcasts are just the new “talk radio” shows.

I’ve heard the JvB dude on other podcasts. For some reason it seems 80% of what podcasters do is interview other podcasters. I can’t wrap my mind around that one. Always makes me think of the Ron White line “I’m third person don’t give a ——-“.

bsnedeker

WKR
Very possible! When his podcast first came out I loved it. I think he’s running out of stuff to talk about. I feel like that’s the normal life cycle of a podcast!
Yeah, I got off the podcast train a couple of years ago for that exact reason. I'm back to audio books for my car-ride listening pleasure.

prm

WKR
I don’t to any hunting podcasts. I understand it though. Hard to expect all that content for free. If the podcaster gets sponsors then their objectivity goes out the window. Part of listening to any podcast is just to enjoy the listening, but another part can be to learn something. Do you really expect any noteworthy hunter sponsored by Leupold to do anything other than recommend Leupold? I don’t. It bothers me when I know I’m getting paid for recommendations and suggestions. With other podcasts, motorcycle racing for example, the product advertisements seem to be less tied to products I might be looking for evaluations. So if a hunting podcast gets its funding via Patreon, vice product sponsors, I feel they will experience a wider range of products and speak freely about those they do try.
The one podcast I am a Patreon subscriber is related to motorcycle racing. I get some additional podcasts, but really I’m ok with paying a little ($2.99/mo) for something I really enjoy.

Last edited:

SDHNTR

WKR
Yeah, I got off the podcast train a couple of years ago for that exact reason. I'm back to audio books for my car-ride listening pleasure.
Agreed. How can anyone stand to listen to someone else ramble for so long? I don’t even want to listen to myself for more than a few minutes.

KurtR

WKR
used to listen to some hunting podcast but they are pretty much the same. Dog training ones i have picked up alot of gold nuggets and talked to trainers about stuff they give out their phone numbers.

Not a chance. If a podcast decides to start charging per listen, I’ll find something else to occupy my time.

I paid for Hardcore History's Wrath of the Khans, and I'd absolutely pay again! Depending on one's interests and what they feel is worth spending money on, paying for a podcast or internet content comes down to a personal opinion of value.

I pay about $1 a week for the Tim Dillon show patreon. It gives me one extra show per week in addition to the weekly free one he posts. It's worth every single penny. That dude is comic genious.

Listen to very few hunting podcasts anymore. Typically, I'll search a keywords I'm interested in once every few months like "sheep hunting" "alaska moose" etc and listen to the ones that are tolerable. Other than that, I listen to mostly comedy and some politics.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
There is a subscription-based platform for Podcasters. You actually give them money every month for their content even though it’s completely voluntary and most of the time the content is available to non-subscribers too. As somebody else said, it’s almost like a tip for doing the podcast.
"A fool and his money are soon parted......"

tony

WKR
Like I said, I don’t pay for pod casts or music.
How many are paying amazon, Apple or Spotify ?
Im set in my ways when it comes to music, real rock, metal, some jazz and fusion. Hell even real country before it too became drum machines and rap.
This modern shit just flat out sucks.
After a mile in my GFs car listening to some cuck moan on about a girl he sees in a bar. I’m ready to kill someone.

Cfriend

FNG
"A fool and his money are soon parted......"
While I don't use Patreon and have no plans to, I hardly think that being generous makes someone a fool (unless of course they're giving away money they can't afford). On the contrary I would consider it a good thing.

If someone works hard to make a podcast that you enjoy, I don't think its foolish to support them? No different than tipping an extra few dollars above the minimum when a waiter does an especially good job. Sure they are already getting paid for their work, but what's the harm in being kind?

Psalms 112:5, Good will come to those who are generous and lend freely...

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Psalms 112:5, Good will come to those who are generous and lend freely...
It actually says "A good man sheweth favour, and lendeth", but also continues with "he will guide his affairs with discretion". If you're lending, then the recipient pays it back in full. But I guess if these folks are poor and starving then ya, do whatever "makes you feel good". Discretion (and I would add discernment) are the keys to any and all giving.

bsnedeker

WKR
If someone works hard to make a podcast that you enjoy, I don't think its foolish to support them?

So, I had to address this. There is no such thing as "working hard to make a podcast". I used to do a podcast as part of my job...it's one of the easiest things to do in the entire world. You pick a topic, get a guest, and bullshit for an hour or two. You can then either edit it yourself, or you can (and most folks choose this option) pay someone a small amount of money to do it for you.

If you want to pay someone to do that more power to you, of course. My take is these dudes just don't want to have to get a real job and want hunters to support them so they don't have to. If that works out for them, great!

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

svivian

WKR
So, I had to address this. There is no such thing as "working hard to make a podcast". I used to do a podcast as part of my job...it's one of the easiest things to do in the entire world. You pick a topic, get a guest, and bullshit for an hour or two. You can then either edit it yourself, or you can (and most folks choose this option) pay someone a small amount of money to do it for you.

If you want to pay someone to do that more power to you, of course. My take is these dudes just don't want to have to get a real job and want hunters to support them so they don't have to. If that works out for them, great!

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk
I have to ask what was the podcast you did.