Passing up smaller bulls

waspocrew

WKR
For shits and giggles:

I passed on this bull during the Wyoming rifle season last year. Herd was 475 yards away on a hillside and I had plenty of time to look this guy over. Not a giant, but a respectable bull. Few reasons for passing:

1) Had seen bigger during archery but never given a shot
2) Super small thirds that plague our unit
3) Evening time
4) By myself
5) Lazy and didn’t feel like packing a bull out haha

And as karma would have it, didn’t see any better bulls over the next few remaining days of the season 😂😂

IMG_5063.jpegIMG_5062.jpegIMG_3880.jpeg

Yes, I pass up younger smaller bulls as well. I set a goal every year of 300" or bigger.
This is me. Have passed a lot of great opportunities the last ten years. My kids keep the freezer full, and I'm unabashedly hunting for the wall now.

For shits and giggles:

I passed on this bull during the Wyoming rifle season last year. Herd was 475 yards away on a hillside and I had plenty of time to look this guy over. Not a giant, but a respectable bull. Few reasons for passing:

1) Had seen bigger during archery but never given a shot
2) Super small thirds that plague our unit
3) Evening time
4) By myself
5) Lazy and didn’t feel like packing a bull out haha

And as karma would have it, didn’t see any better bulls over the next few remaining days of the season 😂😂

View attachment 750049View attachment 750050View attachment 750051
Dang that’s a pretty bull but that is the epitome of weak thirds 😂

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Yep, old thread but still relevant. Unless I'm targeting a specific bull in an OTC unit, I'll generally shoot any legal bull. But in my draw units I'm more selective and will eat my tag if need be. If I can get 20 days in a good unit in September, it's a good season no matter the outcome.

I had probably the worst elk season I've ever had about 8 years ago and came out with a 6x6. Two years later in the same unit I had a fantastic season, passed on several decent bulls, and ate my tag.

waspocrew

WKR
I have killed enough elk that I won’t shoot unless it’s a mature bull. Too much work! 😂
Same boat! I haven’t killed a bull since 2021 - plenty of chances at smaller bulls, just being too picky. Maybe this season will be my time!

I can usually get 2 tags in idaho. first legal bull i see is dead and in the freezer. then i look for wall decor.
a few years back on the only limited entry tag i have had in wyoming, i passed on small 6's every day and left with nothing.

Elite

WKR
That is a good problem to have. Seriously though ,if you have the either sex option why not shoot a cow at the end of the season. For every rag horn shot is one less bull that will have a chance to make it to its full potential. Granted some bulls will never score well, but neither does a small one. Now me for example. I have yet to get anything with a bow so all that is out the window. At least for my first archery elk/deer..

Cows also produce elk every year. A bull can breed multiple cows. Shooting cows will affect elk populations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good zombie thread and timeless topic. I have killed many white tails in my life. I estimate about 50 or so, but I have lost count. I have only three white tail shoulder mounts. The rest of those deer were either antlerless or too small to mount. My motto on deer is "if it's brown, shoot it down," but that is hunting in WV and VA where they are plentiful and you can get as many doe tags as you want OTC.

I have eaten elk tags twice (in 2021 and 2022). This year I have an ID tag again. If I am blessed to get a shot at a legal bull, I am going to do by best to take it.

I wish others success in meeting their goals for the season. My goal is a notched tag and having to solve the problem of getting my meat back to the East coast.

much admiration to guys that pass up bulls. I have a weakness and haven't been able to pass up any opportunities on any big game. It has bit me in the past, but last year I shot a small buck and half regretted it. couple days later my nephew passed on a 170" mule deer and my daughter was able to make a sweet shot with the rss for her first buck.

Passed this little guy up last year in the first hour of my elk hunt. He needed another year or two for me.

I won't lie....I was 100 yards from the truck and the thought did cross my mind. lol I like to think he lived and he is a nice one this year, but he was pretty stupid, so I don't know if he lived or not.

Screenshot 2024-08-15 142152.png

Awesome necro thread! I tend to make up my mind what I want before the season starts, and stick with that. When it comes to elk I usually want meat, lol! Helps that my first bull was near 330"... I don't have a burning passion for tracking down a bigger one right now.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Passed this little guy up last year in the first hour of my elk hunt. I won't lie....I was 100 yards from the truck and the thought did cross my mind.
I had one like that in a draw unit a few years ago. He was 65 yards from my tent in my truck camp and it was early September. I drew down on him and set my pin, but let him walk. I do that on most every bull I see, even if I know I'm going to pass. It's good practice. OTC he would have died.

TaperPin

WKR
Not elk, but during a good year for antelope, we hunted hard for most of the season and passed up multiple 15” goats every day - a great year to nail a big one. They were collecting in large herds and I was convinced no buck had been missed in the entire area - the last few minutes of the season my wife took the biggest and a second later I took the second. At the shots a really good buck came out of a small draw and stood there looking at us - had I waited and not filled the tag that buck would have made it low in the book. It was a valuable lesson at a young age - still makes my gut hurt. *chuckle*

mobohunter

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not far enough along in Elk hunting to pass yet. I do kinda lean toward kill a cow for meat but something about any bull I think will still have me going in the moment. Hope to get on some of y'alls level in the next few years!

On Deer and Turkey, I'm definitely looking for mature animals.