Paracord

NEhunter

WKR
Anyone here gut their paracord to save weight? I am debating on doing this but was wondering if it would lose a lot of its weight bearing capability or is it still good to go for basic usage such as hanging meat bags. I did this to a small piece and it still seemed pretty strong, just wondering how many others are doing this too.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
You lose a substantial amount of the weight bearing properties, but for hanging meat I would bet it is fine. I gut mine when I make my own zipper pulls. I gut them, use about 1 1/4" of shrink wrap around the center, tie in a knot, cut off and burn the ends. Other than that I don't think you are gaining anything. 50' of paracord weighs about 1.5 ounces.

OP
NEhunter

NEhunter

WKR
Seems like over kill to me.
Just thought I'd ask. Seems like a cheap way to shave a little weight here or there if it wouldnt compromise much. BTW, I weighed 50' of 550 and it weighs 3.5 oz. At least mine does.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tim I am guessing that stuff is super strong. Dyneema is what is used in most of the bowstrings these days.

C W to my eye it looks exactly like the line that you and sab brought.The source that you gave to me was out of stock and never responded to my emails
Tim

I'm going to use that line to re-rig my block and tackle to see how much weight I can save.
C W ,yes I did buy some of it
Tim

sab

Lil-Rokslider
The Dyneema lines weigh about 1.3oz per 50 feet. Mil-spec 550 cord weighs about 3.5oz per 50 feet. I've been using the Dyneema for about four years and find it better, in all respects, than 550 cord. I get mine from:

http://lawsonequipment.com/All-Products/Dyneema-Guywire-p514.html

Lawson is great to deal with, and his prices are very competitive, especially since his free shipping policy is so generous. No, I'm not related to him - just a very happy customer.

Regards,
Scott

swat8888

WKR
Never heard of the dyneema stuff before, but only $15 to save another 2oz in my pack I'll definitely be picking some up. Really think th small diameter will have more applicability in the field than 550 cord too.

2rocky

WKR
I gut mine when I make my own zipper pulls. I gut them, use about 1 1/4" of shrink wrap around the center, tie in a knot, cut off and burn the ends.

Gonna use this. The shrink wrap tubes for electrical connections right?

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
You got it Rocky. I cut the shrink tube to about 1 1/4", tie my knot first, cut and burn the ends and then shrink the tube down. It lets you color code certain zippers if you like to do that. Silent and very durable.

Mike7

WKR
Rosin Bag, I'm not certain that I am following you completely. If you have a chance, can you put up a picture of the end product. Thanks.

Some time ago I purchased the Mountain Laurel Designs bear bag hanging system from their cooking accessories section and have loved it. In addition to a nice cuben fiber rock bag which easily sales over 20 ft high branches, it comes with a small ultralight but strong caribiner to be used if you ever want to use the PCT bear bag hanging system, and it comes with 50 ft of 2 mm diameter coated spectra line which is very compact, weighs 1.2 oz, and is 975 lb test. The whole kit along with a kifaru meat bag for your food is a really sweet system...very efficient and lightweight. The cord itself is pretty amazing stuff, but I think that it is $25 to purchase an additional 50 ft, so not as cheap as some other choices.

dotman

WKR
The Dyneema lines weigh about 1.3oz per 50 feet. Mil-spec 550 cord weighs about 3.5oz per 50 feet. I've been using the Dyneema for about four years and find it better, in all respects, than 550 cord. I get mine from:

Lawson is great to deal with, and his prices are very competitive, especially since his free shipping policy is so generous. No, I'm not related to him - just a very happy customer.

Regards,
Scott

I'll second this, same place I picked mine up in orange.

slim9300

WKR

Regards,
Scott

Thanks for the link. I'll give it a try.

cwh

Lil-Rokslider
Pack the 550 and get a crew cut right before you leave? Its a wash weight-wise, and you'll look suave in the hero pics.

:) Sorry, couldn't resist.