Paracord

Explain the difference between Para Cord and "Utility Cord"
Para Cord is very specific in it's construction and mil spec's; outter shell w/ 7 internal strands w/ a min of 550lb working load.
Utility Cord doesn't have to meet any Mil specs and typically doesn't contain internal strands but rather a single cheap core.
There are some advantages to being able to remove the internal strands from Para Cord for differant tasks; like fishing line, making nets and other lighter duty survival tasks. So to some degree 50ft of para cord can be multiplied 8x. Although this is anal bushcraft thinking, for the weight, the potential multi-purpose benefits outweigh the extra ounces. That said, I carry some nylon duck decoy anchor cord in my pack for light duty needs and reserve the para cord for heavier duty tasks. But I have to admit I could exchange my cheap decoy cord for a roll of this new dyneema or spectra line considering the extra break strength could expand it's uses.
Hunt'nFish

Last edited:
Switching to a thong or going commando will give far greater weight savings than gutting paracord. Proper manscaping saves even more weight but that's a given, right?

I've eyeballing brightly colored and reflective 550 because at night I clothesline myself around camp. It would help to locate meat stashed for pickup too. It goes against my anti-target indicator grain but a hippie-colored bivy does too.

Last edited: