Pants comparison (Prana Zion, Kuiu attack, FL guide, Sitka Ascent)

aeasley10

WKR
Hey guys I am hoping to get some feedback on these pants. Has anyone worn multiple of these to compare?

I'm just wanting to get a solid color for everyday wear as well as hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Dameon

WKR
For everyday wear and hunting, I would recommend the Prana Zion and the Eddie Baur Guide Pro pants. I personally like cargo pockets on each side, stretchy and durable fabric, DWR treatment, and belt loops for concealed carry, so I prefer the Eddie Baur Guide Pro pants. They are an awesome deal when Eddie Baur is having a 50-60 percent off sale. They also offer them as convertible pants with zip off bottoms to turn them into shorts and they also offer them with a fleece lining. I only wish Eddie Baur offered them in more colors.

I've worn both the attack and ascents for the past two seasons of archery in CO. I sweated more in the attacks (even with the hip vents) than the ascents. I scout in a pair of solid color ascents. They do the trick for me. I am really interested in trying out the Kuiu Tiburons, and Sitka is coming out with a new pair of ascents this spring in their new Sup Alpine camo. It is suppose to be offered in a solid as well and be much more breathable as well as lighter. My .02

OP
aeasley10

aeasley10

WKR
For everyday wear and hunting, I would recommend the Prana Zion and the Eddie Baur Guide Pro pants. I personally like cargo pockets on each side, stretchy and durable fabric, DWR treatment, and belt loops for concealed carry, so I prefer the Eddie Baur Guide Pro pants. They are an awesome deal when Eddie Baur is having a 50-60 percent off sale. They also offer them as convertible pants with zip off bottoms to turn them into shorts and they also offer them with a fleece lining. I only wish Eddie Baur offered them in more colors.

I've only felt the Ascent, Attack, and FL guide in person but only worn Sitka & Kuiu. Could u tell me how the EB & Zion compares in feel, fit, comfort, durability?

I have the Sitka Ascent pants and love them. They are super comfortable. They seem to be lightweight, but provide more warmth than my old Cabelas pants. I have them for hunting only, so I don't wear them as casual wear. I do not have any of the other pants you mention, so I can't compare them. I do love the Ascents though !!

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've had the Zion, Attack and Guide. I'm actually wearing the Zion's right now.

The Prana's are super comfortable, good stretch and good fit in the legs for me, as well as the cut at the bottom. Fit over boots perfect and aren't bell bottom like at all. The attack's are very similar in fit and function as the Zion's for me, although they are a little bit heavier seems like, and they have the side zips for vents, which are really nice. The guides fit me well in the legs, but the cut around the bottoms were a little too tight for me, they fit tightly around my boot tops which I didn't really care for. Other than that I liked the material and they had very good stretch.

Dameon

WKR
The EB and Zions are very comparable as far as fit, comfort, and durability. It really just boils down to what features you want in a multi-purpose pant. The nice thing about the EB guide pro pants is that you can find an Eddie Baur at most malls and can try them on for yourself. If you have an REI near you, you might be able to find a pair of Zions to try.

Eagle

WKR
I've owned the attacks, ascents, and the prana zion. The attacks I sweated in too much, just too hot for early season backpacking hunts for me. The ascents were cooler and I liked them over the attacks. The zion are my favorite pant to date, they are as cool as the ascents, as comfortable as the attacks, and much cheaper than both, plus they offer them in 30x34, which is hard to find.

Ben

WKR
I've have the FL guide, ascents, and kanabs. All have their own purpose. I had the ascents, but had a lot of pulled threads from minor brush in a short amount of time. I would try again, but am happy with my current setup. I have the pranas as will be selling due to fit. To me, they're almost like bell bottoms.

OP
aeasley10

aeasley10

WKR
The EB and Zions are very comparable as far as fit, comfort, and durability. It really just boils down to what features you want in a multi-purpose pant. The nice thing about the EB guide pro pants is that you can find an Eddie Baur at most malls and can try them on for yourself. If you have an REI near you, you might be able to find a pair of Zions to try.

Gonna check out the EB's today thanks for the tip

FURMAN

WKR
I have worn mountain pants, attacks, alpines, guides, and zions. The zions are the most comfortable but I would never use them as my go to hunting pant. I actually switch mainly between the alpines, attacks, and guides depending on time of year. If I could only have one pant it would be the attacks.

Paradactal

Lil-Rokslider
I just got a pair of the EB Guide Pro pants and am super impressed! I will be buying another pair on their next sale. As far as everyday use, the Prana Zions are my go to pants. They can be found on sale on multiple sites. I hunted in them for 3 days last year and was impressed with the durability and comfort. I also just picked up a pair of FL guides during the sales and cannot wait to hunt in those.

machinethomas

Lil-Rokslider
I agree that the EB Guide pants are awesome. I have about 6 pair and wear them everyday. I also have a pair of Sitka Mountain pants, and think they're a great year round pant choice.

MIKEYB

WKR
Kuiu Attacks--I tend to thing of these as a soft shell material pant, brushed feel on the inside. I like the opening of the top pockets. Not an early season pant in my opinion, 4 way stretch and comfortable(I have the old Canadian version no hip zips). The closest pant I have to them is a mountain hardware chockstone, similar top opening pocket and softshell material. no cargo pockets.

Kuiu Tiburons--good early season pant, Breathable hip zips, 2 way stretch. comfort not bad. seem pretty durable (A few season under the belt), I believe they have some sort of rip stop sewn into them, kind of close to the EB guides with the EB'S being a touch more comfortable but not as durable in my opinion.

Prana Zion & Brions. Comfortable, stretchy I prefer the brion's for everyday and office work.Same material as far as I tell. They lack the cargo pocket and reinforcements on the bottom of the zion's I would say the the material leans more to a cordura feel with a slight brushed inside. bottom line I like these pants, the Zions I have are the old sizing and are on the baggy side, next pair I will size down. Not a big fan of the zippers on the cargo pocket.

sitka--no experience

kuhl--I like my kuhl renegades and another type not sure of the name. Stretchy with a nylon feel,brushed inside, breathable. great for everyday use. most pairs I have have some sort of thread loose. . .somewhere.

Outdoor research makes some great pants too, The ferrosi's are my go to hiking pant for warm weather. Super stretchy, Comfortable, breathable, durable , light. I also have another pair by them not sure on name, wearing them now that I like.

I try not to pay over 50 for a pair of pants, if you look around you can find some deals. I think the only ones a paid more for were the kuiu.

JimCraig

Lil-Rokslider
I wear the pranas pretty much every day outside of July and August. They are great pants. I have two pair and they are very comfortable with just the right amount of utility without having massive pockets. Can't speak for the EB pants yet, but I have a pair on the way I'm looking forward to. But I will say that I think the pranas are great for what you described. They are good everyday pants, but comfortable to hike in, light, and dry pretty quick. I can go straight from the office to the mountain. The stretch I'd say is moderate and adequate. I have Kuiu attack pants as well and they seem to stretch more. I believe the difference is the kuius are 4 way stretch versus 2 way on the prana. There are some things I don't care for on the pranas like the snaps at the bottom of the leg that are supposed to be for rolling the pants up. I never use that feature so the snaps are in the way, but thats pretty nit picky. I also wish they had more robust belt loops and that there was 1 more loop, cause I get a little bit of waist band sag under the belt which puts my belt directly against my skin in areas. There is also an adjustable waist strap built in that gets in the way sometimes, especially carrying concealed appendix. But that doesn't apply to everybody. They're great pants though and very versatile. And like has been said already, much cheaper than kuiu or sitka. Mine are wearing very well.

oldgoat

WKR
I love my Zions for everyday wear, but don't feel they stack up with the FL Guides. Not enough pocket in the Zions either in size or number. If you are going to get a one and done pair of pants, I don't think the Zion is it

Capra

Lil-Rokslider
I am in line with most of the reviews here.

Prana Zion: I have short and average sized legs. These fit great and for the price are my go to. I wore these in POW in Nov for two season now and the shed water and dry out as fast as anything. Toughest fabric of the batch.

EB: These are really good on hunts where it is hot. I really liked them in AZ and NV early season. The pocked configuration is nice as well. They are the least durable of the group.

Attack: More features warmest material of the 3. with the side vents they are tolerable in the desert but still hot BUT these are actually perfect in September in the west. these pants get runs in the fabric pretty easy in country with stickers and thorns.

If I could only own 1 pair I would go for the Prana, Im my case Im hard on clothes so I could shread a pair and not feel bad. Watch backcountry and you can pick them up on sale. Same goes for the EB don't pay full retail they will be on sale soon or possibly today.