Painting a stock - Krylon says not clear coat????

WVELK

Lil-Rokslider
I spent a few hours sanding down a manners stock to repaint. Currently, I have a killer paint job on it (I am bias). I called Krylon today to see how long I should wait until applying either a flat, satin or gloss clear coat. They said Krylon Fusion (which is what I used) is not designed to take a clear coat. She said if I clear coated I was “very likely” to get wrinkles, cracking or some other bad stuff. She did say if I was going to try it on a test spot I should wait 7 days to allow the fusion to fully cure. She said the best option if you are going clear coat is to coat within 1 minute of your last top coat with paint.

I have painted one other stock this winter. I used Fusion and clear coated with flat. I let the paint dry 24 hours before coating and had no problems. For those of you who have painted stocks with Fusion did you clear coat? Did you have problems?

Luckily I test painted some 5 gallon buckets before doing the stock. I have applied clear coat to them to see what happens. Will check after work.

Duh

WKR
I’ve done it both ways. So far, my non clear coat paint job has held up very well. I’ve got about 3 different layers on that one though.

I did crap prep on another one and it’s still holding up well.

I did have one clear coat wrinkle on a barrel before but I thought it was because it was cold outside when I sprayed it on. It only wrinkled on the barrel though. The stock, which was wood, stayed completely smooth. Either way, I thought the wrinkle effect looked badass.

OP
W

WVELK

Lil-Rokslider
I promise to post pics in a few days when I put the gun back together. I have not even pulled the tape off yet.

OP
W

WVELK

Lil-Rokslider
I am not sure photos will do it justice so don’t hold your breath. The base is their Olive flat, then is a layer of bronze/granite flakes and a layer or desert sand flakes. The last color is black webbing. On top off that is 3 coats of satin clear. Each coat is very very thin. The final coat was the slightest dusting of flat clear because it had more shine than I wanted.

Reactions: Duh
I've had really good results with air cured cerakote using a small air brush. They have a clear coat you can apply over top of your base coat if you want. Cerakote I think is a lot easier to work with than rattle can and really durable. The sampler sized jars go a long ways.

OP
W

WVELK

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the responses. Getting the colors to mesh took some trial and error on buckets, but a light dusting with the antique bronze followed by desert sand really made it pop. Truly better in person. I keep getting it out of the safe to look again.

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
It does look good. The fact that Sir Geewhiz gave you high marks means you have excelled at your craft-kinda like winning a Nobel prize.