Pad & Quilt Help

trogers861

Lil-Rokslider
I know many iterations of this have been asked--and I have read them all--so I appreciate you sticking with me. I just recently upgraded my sleep system to a Thermarest Neoair Topo Luxe and a Western Moutnaineering Badger. Besides sleeping in the backyard, I have zero days actually out in the backcountry with this setup.

I am a big guy (6'6" 250lbs) and I sleep like shit due to L5-S1 back issues (I can't even get a good nights sleep in my regular bed). After one night--I have a pretty big concern--and that is the contraints of the bag.

I toss and turn quite a bit and am 98% a side sleeper--and I change sides at least a dozen times a night. As much as I want to love the WM badger bag--after one night, I've realized its too tight for be being a side sleeper (and needing my knees bent).

Though I will give this system a try in the backcountry, I am already looking at changing out. I think reality is I need an old fashioned, wide, rectangular sleeping bag (heavy!) or I need to go to a quilt.

Questions:
1. Do you all have any good recommendations for a nice and wide quilt that is still packable/light weight? Night time temps where I typically hunt don't usually dip below 20 degrees and I have puffy layers with me that I can throw on.

2. Any recommendations on a light weight, but traditional wide, rectangle bag?

3. I need a wide pad--30" minimum. The Topo Luxe I have is only R3.7. Do you think this is going to be warm enough on a 20 degree night with a quilt?

4. If the answer is no to #3 above, any recommendations on a higher R-value pad that is min 30" wide?

Thanks Everyone.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
For a quilt, I really like my Katabatic Gear Alsek with 2 ounces of over fill. I have the wide 6' and can sleep on my side while snuggling my 4 year old without drafts on an Exped Synmat7 wide. I use a Thermarest Xtherm if not taking my daughter.

An Alsek in 6'6" wide should work well for you. For mat, I would look for an R value of at least 5. R value is cumulative, so you could just add a foam pad. For comfort, the Exped is hard to beat, but it is heave at 30 ounces for the wide.

BBob

WKR
I'm like you almost totally a 100% side sleeper, mostly with knees pulled up and with past L5-S1 problems. I also flop back and forth all night long to keep the shoulders happy. I'm not near as big as you but I went with an El Coyote in a wide. Brian at El Coyote hesitated to recommend a wide for someone my size but being that I know how I sleep the wide was a perfect choice for me. He is very responsive and I'd see what width bag he might recommend for your size. They offer optional longer straps to accommodate larger/thicker pads. They use the lower strap only around the pad but I personally don't like it and put both upper and lower straps around the pad. It works well holding the quilt in place while I roll back and forth during the night. Also likely I like it that way is I was a Big Agnes integrated bag/pad user for many years and used to a more fixed bag pad setup which also worked well for me.

Last edited:

Rob5589

WKR
I recently went to a quilt. Also side sleep, back a bit beat up, back and forth all night. I bought a 20* quilt from El Coyote quilts. Extra wide, long, is what I got. I'm 6'2", 235, and love it so far. I use an Exped mattress that is 4.9 r value and have been in the 20's. Plenty warm with regular pants and long sleeve shirt. Quilt stayed in place and attaches easily.

D S 319

WKR
Fan of my UGQ quilt and I used it with a klymit sleeping pad the highest R rating one with no complaints and I have camped out in some chilly weather in ND. I do wish I went a little wider with my quilt, I am thinking of trying out stone glaciers quilt next. Only one way to find out your answer to #2 and that’s to test the theory!

Gone4Days

WKR
I am a side sleeper and went to a quilt. Love it. I recommend a Exped Downmat. With a quilt especially you’ll want the warmest pad you can find. Since you are a picky sleeper the Exped is more comfortable than the Xtherm. Try a 0° Enlightened Equipment Enigma (or 20° with puffies)

What about trying a blanket instead of a quilt or bag? There are some down and synthetic blankets out there, not sure of the ratings on them though. Just a thought.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'm 6'6" 220 and use an Enlightened Equipment 0 degree wide/long quilt with an Xtherm pad. The quilt might be an extra long....can't remember, but the pad is a wide/long. I also have L4-S1 issues so I have had to limit my overnight stays in the backcountry the last couple years because the pad isn't thick enough to prevent my back from seizing up on me. But my back is fine with my base wall tent camp with large cot and good foam.

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
Based on what you wrote, I would try an exped downmat and an EE long wide quilt (0 degree). I don't have experience with your pad, but seems like the r value is too low. I am no quilt expert, but it seems to me that people are trying to do two different things with them and you need to consider whether the recommendation fits what you are trying to do. Quilts can be very light and capitalize on the insulation in the pad to cut weight from the back and zippers, etc., and require good use of pad straps and other clothing in your system OR, quilts can be extremely comfortable and replicate a more bed-like experience. The latter is the way I went and sounds better for what you describe. I am tall and about 220, the exped pad is very comfortable for me. When conditions suit a quilt, I connect the pad straps on one side and then tuck the other side as necessary without connecting to the straps. It isn't as efficient as a mummy bag or minimalist quilt at warmth/weight ratio but much more comfortable. My current system weighs a bit more but is still easy enough to carry and I get better sleep on it. And don't get me started on pillows, that ended up as pretty important for me for good sleep too.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Questions:
1. Do you all have any good recommendations for a nice and wide quilt that is still packable/light weight? Night time temps where I typically hunt don't usually dip below 20 degrees and I have puffy layers with me that I can throw on.
2. Any recommendations on a light weight, but traditional wide, rectangle bag?

I have spent hundreds of nights in quilts to below 0°. Hundreds upon hundreds of nights in bags. I am now well a couple hundred nights in a Zen Bivy Light 10°- there is no comparison to any other sleep system. Every person I hunt and work with have now bought them.

3. I need a wide pad--30" minimum. The Topo Luxe I have is only R3.7. Do you think this is going to be warm enough on a 20 degree night with a quilt?

No. You will more than likely want a legit R values of 5+.

4. If the answer is no to #3 above, any recommendations on a higher R-value pad that is min 30" wide?

Thanks Everyone.

Exped. There are several.

BBob

WKR
Zen Bivy Light 10° and an Exped 30" 5 R value comes in at about 6 ish lbs with the lightest 5R 30" pad I see??? Extra comfort comes with a weight penalty.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Zen Bivy Light 10° and an Exped 30" 5 R value comes in at about 6 ish lbs with the lightest 5R 30" pad I see??? Extra comfort comes with a weight penalty.

Yes, he’ll need to come off the 30” pad part, a 25” wide long pad and Zen Bivy Lite XL is sub 5lbs.

3 1/2" thick EXPED LW pad with an R rating of 6 and EE Conundrum -10* LW quilt w/ Hoodlum. Works for everything, just vent as needed.

I (6’1, 325#) went:

Exped 30” pad(it rolls up, so not for backpacking). I use BA Insulated AXL for spike camp

Custom El Coyote XX-wide/Long quilt 15*. Brian answered all my questions about quilts and couldn’t be happier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ungainly

FNG
I second UGQ for a quilt. The Outlaw is a hybrid so it can open up to an extra wide quilt or zip up on an extra cold night.

OP
T

trogers861

Lil-Rokslider
Wow. Thanks everyone for all of the informative responses. I really appreciate it. I have some homework to do!

OP
T

trogers861

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, he’ll need to come off the 30” pad part, a 25” wide long pad and Zen Bivy Lite XL is sub 5lbs.
I was immediately 'all in' with the zenbivy lite after looking at it per your recommendation--man that thing looks sweet. My hesitation is the 25" max pad width. I really have a hard time on a 25" pad. A 30" pad allows me to roll over to the other side without having to slide by body over on the pad (in order to remain on the pad).

OP
T

trogers861

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like they do make a 30" sheet that can be used with the lite quilt:

Except its 30 degree rated and weighs twice as much as the 10 degree sheet that comes with the lite bed.

I'm going to call them tomorrow and see if they have any suggestions.