Packing out a Whitetail

Millwood21

Lil-Rokslider
Me and my buddy do it. He has a kifaru and I have an Exo. I won’t drag another deer if I don’t have too. Packing it out isn’t easy in one trip with all your gear and meat but still beats dragging. I had a saddle platform but sold it. Now I just use a compact lock on and my saddle as a harness.

hh76

Lil-Rokslider
In WI we can quarter a deer in the field, as long as the head remains attached to one of the quarters. We also have to remove everything except the guts from the field.

This is most of a deer, about average size. I carried it all for the first 1/2mi, but realized that two trips was smarter and split it up. I dragged the rest of the carcass and hide on a separate trip.

IMG_20221119_113000716_HDR.jpg

Definitely quarter and do two trips if a mile back.

Also, WIs law is the dumbest ever. No doubt a bunch of old fudds who spent their lives hunting over bait and having processers handle their deer came up with that one. You should be able to debone and leave the rest. I talked with a warden and he said they consider leaving the bones, hide, lower legs etc littering???? Good to know when deer die out there they become litter. No doubt all those deer parts left are gone in a day or two. Rant over, lol.

fishslap

WKR
You could pack a dead sled. They’re pretty light and roll up not to big. They’re slick so it makes dragging easier. Personally, I could not pack out a whole whitetail buck (skinned and quartered) unless it was a short and flat hike, and I’ve packed out many elk in the mountains several miles. But there are a lot of guys stronger than me. I’m a multiple trip guy. I did my whitetail this year in two trips. I did take whole rib racks, neck, belly, etc.
81829787-9C90-48B4-9DE8-27E61DBCAAD7.jpeg

EdP

WKR
It is legal to dismember in VA. “After the appropriate tag is validated, the hunter may dismember the carcass to pack it out as long as all parts of the carcass (excluding internal organs) are present when the animal is reported.”
Yes, here in Va we can cut a deer up in the field AFTER getting our confirmation number and recording it on our license. Where I normally hunt public is a couple of miles back in the mtns. I have to pass thru a designated Wilderness Area where wheeled carts are prohibitted besides being impractical on that terrain. My plan is to quarter and let cool, then pack out and only debone if necessary to reduce weight.

Patton

Lil-Rokslider
Don't know where your hunting, but that looks like a sure way to get shot by some bozo, Next time do yourself a favor and tie a orange vest to the deer, even then that's not a sure thing.
This was on private in Texas and beat dragging the deer 300ish yards to the road. Wouldn’t do this on public and have always put orange on the antlers when packing on public.

Attachments

• 1529E45E-3777-4BBB-9FBA-1473763B80EB.jpeg
    1529E45E-3777-4BBB-9FBA-1473763B80EB.jpeg
    381.2 KB · Views: 69

KenLee

WKR
I'd have orange wrapped all around those deer when toting em out. Idiots here would shoot i
Edit: I see someone beat me to this comment

Biggie

FNG
Quarter on the spot. Less to haul out, less work when you get home, and you don't have to find a place to dump the carcass. I keep a cooler in the truck and hit up the first gas station for ice on the way home. Leave the drain open and take care of it a few days later.

WoodBow

WKR
Just quarter and pack them out. It is super fast. I have gotten so accustomed to doing it this way that I am significantly faster at quartering them on the ground than I am with them hung up. I really dislike doing them hung up now. If i do it in the woods, I don't have to haul off the carcass later.

Plan on backpacking one out of the ADK mountains this fall and looking forward to it. Deboned buck here should be about 50-70lbs. Cant wait.

This load was 88 pounds plus the 10# rifle. All fit in an ILBE.

I did it again this season with my Exo 3500, but elected to take two trips because it was only a quarter mile in, and I had to cross an extremely steep ravine on both sides so I elected not to risk getting hurt to save 20 minutes.
1E542F95-5E09-4E14-97D8-C71D5286BE2D.jpeg
E0C76A64-748A-477C-9475-14C410912B05.jpeg

Last edited:
I will add that I will never gut a deer again, even if it is 100 yards from the truck. I butcher my deer anyway and this is just a head start.

I have hauled Whitetail out East and Mule deer out west. Gutless method, quarters with sex identifier(balls) in game bags. Filled my pack with rear quarters and loin bags. Tied the shoulder and neck bags to a five foot “stick”, balanced over my shoulders and hauled it all out in one shot. I was fortunate enough to have an old logging road within a couple hundred yards so I didn’t have to weave between trees the whole time. I don’t have pics because I was busy at the moment.

LostArra

WKR
Clay Newcomb method:

OP
prm

prm

WKR
Clay Newcomb method:

That’s nice!