Packgoats and Predators

It’s my first year out with my goats. I love almost everything about them EXCEPT I’m finding my success in archery hunting with them seems to be below average. In my experience they were less than helpful and I preferred not having them on my hip while trying to call in elk.

Everything I’ve seen says to never leave goats at camp.

I can only speak for my experience but leaving them worked great. I packed in an electric fence and for four days they stayed at camp with little to no issues. When I would leave in the morning they would cry as I went out of sight for 5 to 10 minutes before calming down.

I’m sure we have all heard the Warnke story about his goats getting chased by a bear through his e-fence. Was that just a one off event that put out the “never leave your goats” rule? Are goats just a magnet for all predators always?

I’d love to hear some additional first hand experiences with predators in the backcountry or hear from other guys who have experience leaving goats at camp!

Attachments

• IMG_6523.png
    IMG_6523.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4292.jpeg
    IMG_4292.jpeg
    842.2 KB · Views: 25

Bachto

WKR
Are goats just a magnet for all predators always?
They are a prey animal that is smaller than a deer, so kinda yeah.

A crying goat just has to be a predator call. I just don't think I want to risk all the hard work and training and everything to having a cougar or bear come take one out especially if I'm in super deep into the back country. I also love my goats more than my dogs and just can't leave that to chance.

You may not have bighorns in your area. A lot of areas are shutting down goat packing due to "possible" bighorn sheep disease transmission. A loose goat is fuel for that fire and is the other huge reason it is suggested not to leave your goats.

I had a similar experience archery elk hunting. What I found works best is have a partner with you. Tie up the goats 50 - 100 yards back and have him call. Just rotate this. I haven't found the trick for solo archery hunting yet.

Have you thought about switching to llamas? I am not trying to be a dick but in all honesty if you can't bring your goats with you or work around that I think you should really look at getting 2 llamas instead.

OP
406RoadToad
They are a prey animal that is smaller than a deer, so kinda yeah.

A crying goat just has to be a predator call. I just don't think I want to risk all the hard work and training and everything to having a cougar or bear come take one out especially if I'm in super deep into the back country. I also love my goats more than my dogs and just can't leave that to chance.

You may not have bighorns in your area. A lot of areas are shutting down goat packing due to "possible" bighorn sheep disease transmission. A loose goat is fuel for that fire and is the other huge reason it is suggested not to leave your goats.

I had a similar experience archery elk hunting. What I found works best is have a partner with you. Tie up the goats 50 - 100 yards back and have him call. Just rotate this. I haven't found the trick for solo archery hunting yet.

Have you thought about switching to llamas? I am not trying to be a dick but in all honesty if you can't bring your goats with you or work around that I think you should really look at getting 2 llamas instead.
I definitely have thought of llamas but at the moment I’m still loving my goats. Hadn’t thought about the black eye to goat packers a loose goat would be though! Absolutely don’t want to contribute to the anti goat stuff.

I’ve got 6 goats total and after 3 years I don’t think I’ll be able to switch to a different pack animal. They are perfect for my kiddos and I love everything apart from the solo archery issue.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
With no issues, I've left my goats for half and full days in very high-density predator areas. Could a predator come in and kill your goats, yes? Is it the problem people claim.. haven't seen it with lots of time in Grizzly, BB, Cat, and Wolf country.

Bachto

WKR
With no issues, I've left my goats for half and full days in very high-density predator areas. Could a predator come in and kill your goats, yes? Is it the problem people claim.. haven't seen it with lots of time in Grizzly, BB, Cat, and Wolf country.
Lol maybe I am just paranoid I guess.