Packable fishing pole recommendations

Robster

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have any recommendations on a fishing pole for packing, both in a backpack and on horseback? Not necessarily a pack horse either. I want to do some daytrips horseback and have a fishing pole I can pack on horseback either behind the saddle or in saddlebags if possible. At last resort I guess I could use my rifle scabbard to pack a fishing pole.

Fordguy

WKR
The smallest rod you'll find will likely be telescopic. I've had a few that fit very easily into saddle bags. The hard part is finding a telescopic rod that is well made, and has any sort of sensitivity. If you're willing to compromise on sensitivity and just want to fish you might look at offerings from kast king (if they're still in business). Not great, but inexpensive and they work. A 3 piece travel rod will likely have greater sensitivity and better quality options, but may need to be strapped behind the saddle instead of in your bags.
I usually have good luck with diawa spinning gear but I haven't tried this one.
https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/daiwa-ardito-travel-spinning-rods

Aaronpaul14

Lil-Rokslider
I thought about something like this. Or find a kite handle and use that. Might not be worth the space/weight savings but who knows might actually work.

ericacymcdonald

Lil-Rokslider
Fly or conventional? What species and size fish? I like my tenkra for backpacking, simple, light, compact without a reel. But my backpacking areas are full of small trout and I prefer streams to the alpine lakes .

Anyone have any recommendations on a fishing pole for packing, both in a backpack and on horseback? Not necessarily a pack horse either. I want to do some daytrips horseback and have a fishing pole I can pack on horseback either behind the saddle or in saddlebags if possible. At last resort I guess I could use my rifle scabbard to pack a fishing pole.
I use this:

Trial153

WKR
I have a couple of 6 and 8 piece travel rods in the line up, couple it with light weight fly reel and small wallet for flys and tippets, and your good to go.

Fordguy

WKR
Who makes a 6 or 8 piece travel fly rod? If I'd ever seen one I'd probably buy it. That would be extremely convenient.

Trial153

WKR
Who makes a 6 or 8 piece travel fly rod? If I'd ever seen one I'd probably buy it. That would be extremely convenient.
The two I have are orvis, a 5 wt and 7wt. Don't recall the models as I have had them quite a while

OP
R

Robster

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the responses. I do fly fish a little but it would probably be a spinning rod. Only because I'm just interested in catching a few fish for the fun of it and maybe for the pan. I will look into the rods you suggested, again thanks for the guidance.

Slugz

WKR
Older 2 piece small Ugly Sticks break down small enough to put in a tube to strap on a cantel bag or with the rain gear on the butt or a horse. Can also sling it over your shoulder with a web strap.

Trial153

WKR
Thanks for all the responses. I do fly fish a little but it would probably be a spinning rod. Only because I'm just interested in catching a few fish for the fun of it and maybe for the pan. I will look into the rods you suggested, again thanks for the guidance.
LL bean has as a five-piece packable spin/fly combo. Seemed reasonably priced and well made.

Kobuk

Lil-Rokslider
I've been looking to change to a spinning outfit. I love my little 4 pc flyrod but it seems that where we hunt it is so brushy along any water that I can hardly use my flyrod where I think I could cast a spinner.

JGTWI

WKR
I was going to recommend the St Croix travel rod mentioned above. I paired mine with a small shimano spinning reel and it’s a great little setup.