Pack too large?

hikenhunt

WKR
I might be in the minority, but I found using my 5200 Icon Pro annoying on one day hunts. Everything obviously sinks to the bottom and it’s a chore to get things out. I had to tighten all the straps to keep the material from flopping around, but loosen them to dig anything out. I’ve been much happier with separate bags (currently a 2200 and 5500).

I have this bag and to prevent stuff from sinking to the bottom on day hunts, I cinch the bottom straps (the part of the bag facing the ground) all the way down. This makes the bag more of a V shape and keeps gear more towards the top. Then you can use the side compression straps as needed. The horseshoe zipper also allows easy access to the bottom of the pack without needing to touch the things on top.

With that said, I also have an 1850 ultra that I use when I absolutely know I don't need the extra capacity, but I usually need somewhere between the 1850 and 5200, so I mostly use the 5200. That little pack fills up quick!

WyoWrangler

Lil-Rokslider
I have the beartooth from MR, most consider it to be a muti day pack but I use it for a day pack and have no problem with it especially when it’s cinched down. Some day I’ll buy the bag only mule and use it for a day pack on my frame.

JCH

FNG
I have a Mystery Ranch Marshall for sale. I have a small and a medium size belt for it. If anyone is interested.

Squamch

WKR
I have 1 hunting pack, a MR 6500. I use it for a daypack when solo for bear or blacktails, I use it on week long backpack trips, and I use it to resupply a back country cabin I use and maintain. I can cinch it down to carry just survival gear and rain gear, or stuff overnight gear, a big blue plastic water jug and a splitting maul inside of it and go snowshoe 10km to the cabin.
I used to use a 2200 for a daypack, but with raingear, an extra layer, stove, food, spotter, etc...it was full before I shot a deer. Admittedly, it's one of the worst designed packs I've ever seen for carrying hunting gear.
I'll take the weight penalty all day long to have space to pack an animal and all my gear out.

I'm new to hunting overnight from a pack, but my backpacking and mountaineering experience has proven in my case that for some reason packing up camp always seems to take up more space then prepping at home. Add in the hopes of meat, I'll happy cinch things up if I have a little extra pack to deal with. I've never been packing up camp and said to my self "I wish I had a smaller pack"

hikenhunt

WKR
I'm new to hunting overnight from a pack, but my backpacking and mountaineering experience has proven in my case that for some reason packing up camp always seems to take up more space then prepping at home. Add in the hopes of meat, I'll happy cinch things up if I have a little extra pack to deal with. I've never been packing up camp and said to my self "I wish I had a smaller pack"

Yes, very true, especially when trying to pack up camp in a hurry in the rain!