Pack Mules??

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
So I bought two mules. Both are good riding mules and one has packed quite a bit.

Anyone in the CDA Idaho area want to show a rookie how to pack with these ladies?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mntnguide

WKR
If you have extra time this summer, you could check out Cody and LeRee at Royaltine. They offer a couple long weekender packing clinics, just show up and learn on their stock in western MT. They've been teaching packing for nearly 30 years and know how to teach it. I worked for them for 5 summers helping teach the guide/packing school many years ago, and they are great people. .. They also have a online download DVD you could buy just to start getting the hang of it that goes through all sorts of hitches, backcountry stock techniques etc.; www.royaltine.com

They mainly teach Decker style, cause thats whats used most in ID and MT, but also go over sawbucks as well. Sawbuck is much easier for a new packer to be able to use, and Outfitters supply has the not-a-knot system that works great with their bear boxes and a top pack if you dont know how to throw a diamond or box hitch. . I always throw a hitch on mine just cause its quick and I know how, but its not necessary.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
If you have extra time this summer, you could check out Cody and LeRee at Royaltine. They offer a couple long weekender packing clinics, just show up and learn on their stock in western MT. They've been teaching packing for nearly 30 years and know how to teach it. I worked for them for 5 summers helping teach the guide/packing school many years ago, and they are great people. .. They also have a online download DVD you could buy just to start getting the hang of it that goes through all sorts of hitches, backcountry stock techniques etc.; www.royaltine.com

They mainly teach Decker style, cause thats whats used most in ID and MT, but also go over sawbucks as well. Sawbuck is much easier for a new packer to be able to use, and Outfitters supply has the not-a-knot system that works great with their bear boxes and a top pack if you dont know how to throw a diamond or box hitch. . I always throw a hitch on mine just cause its quick and I know how, but its not necessary.
Thanks!

sndmn11

WKR
So I bought two mules. Both are good riding mules and one has packed quite a bit.

Anyone in the CDA Idaho area want to show a rookie how to pack with these ladies?

Chris Davis at Davis Tent would be a good resource for tack.

I’m shocked @Ryan Avery I thought you were all in on goats. What brought on this change and going with mules as a first go over horses?
The plains backcountry horseman chapter is pretty active. They usually do a packing clinic in the spring. The one I went to was in Trout Creek. I have one of their main guys contact info that clears a bunch of trails in that area.
Smoke Elser is doing a few in Missoula this year through the Missoula backcountry horseman chapter but hasn’t picked the dates yet. His wife is going to let me know the dates since I live in Missoula.
Smoke has a book and Bob Hooverson has a book and DVD that goes with the book so you can see it real time not just in pictures.
I’ve thought about the Royal time classes and they have some YouTube videos. Just haven’t signed up for one yet

Dixie

FNG

Attachments

• IMG_20240320_184840.jpg
    IMG_20240320_184840.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20240320_184849.jpg
    IMG_20240320_184849.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 19

Tobe_B

Lil-Rokslider
What brought on this change and going with mules as a first go over horses?

Some people like learning the hard way.

Do some research on clinics and pack training schools. Any local Backcountry chapter will be active in doing trail maintenance, so go volunteer and go to the meetings.

I’ve got a friend down in my part of the country that’s starting a pack clinic and training. Complete with several days of training at a base camp and then a live field trial with your own stock. If you want details PM and I’ll get you set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/USER][/QUOTE]

blick

FNG
I'm sure you got good trained animals to start but understanding basic training principles of how equine minds work and some basic techniques will lay the foundation to start packing confidently. Ty Evans, Jerry Tindell, Pat Parelli, John Lyons etc. When mules wear diamonds is a good book for packing.

Joe Back also authored or co- authored a couple other books that talks about packing and hunting experiences that are informative and entertaining. Over the years I have learned a lot from other peoples adventures and mis- adventures.

MTN BUM

Lil-Rokslider
Just starting down this road too. Check out Muledraggerchris on instagram. He does a weekend primer on site in MT- I was going to try but dates dont line up. He just did a podcast with the Wittwer guy and seems like a good dude. He might even be a member on here, not sure